Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

Possible workaround for installing latest ixgbe drivers on Ubuntu 20?

MHans26
Beginner

Installed latest Ubuntu 20.04 the other day, and ever since my Intel X520-T2 is throwing billions of "Warning firmware error detected FWSM: 0x00000000" errors. So I thought an update from the old ixgbe 5.1.0-k that is shipped with Ubuntu to the latest ixgbe 5.6.5 were in order, but the thing is it can't be compiled. Fails with the following error: "fatal error: linux/pci-aspm.h: No such file or directory #include <linux/pci-aspm.h>"

Read that recently the linux/pci-aspm.h header file was removed from the kernel source or something, hence it's failing. Ubuntu 20 uses kernel 5.4 and latest available ixgbe drivers are supported up to kernel 5.3.

Anyone here that can provide a quick fix for this maybe?

Best regards, marcus!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi MHans26,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Forum.

To provide you the best suggestion, please provide the following information;

1. Please confirm the Distro and Version of the Linux OS that you are using and please provide any additional configuration that you added.

To set your expectations, we may need some time to investigate on this one after you provide the information above.

Looking forward to your reply, should we not get your reply, we will follow up with you after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Alfred S.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MHans26
Beginner

Hi, AlfredS_Intel and thanks for you answer.

I'm using the latest Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) server with kernel version 5.4.0-26 and this is a fresh install with no additional configurations added that could have any impact on the ixgbe driver build process.

Your Intel ixgbe 5.6.5 package supports Ubuntu up to 19.10 - 5.3.*-* kernel version, but nothing newer. This I know because I just made a fresh Ubuntu 19.10 VmWare install and built/compiled the ixgbe 5.6.5 driver there without any problems.

There's been some changes made in Ubuntu 20.04 that rendered the driver impossible to install without you guys (Intel) updating the code.

I'm hoping for the best here. Thanks in advance!

To make it more clear, this is the driver package:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/14687/

Best regards,

Marcus

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi MHans26,

We appreciate the time that you took out of your busy schedule to share that information.

We will continue investigating your concern, and we will give you an update no later than 3 business days from now.

We may need to ask for more information during the investigation process.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi MHans26,

Thank you for patiently waiting for an update.

After checking your issue, here is what we found:

Since you are using a very new kernel, there is no fix for this yet. Our engineering is filing a case about this and are suggesting that you use the in kernel drivers at this time.

We hope for your understanding regarding this.

Please let us know if you any additional questions, clarification or feedback.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MHans26
Beginner

Thank you for your answer. Do you know how long that can take? Just an eta of sorts.

I understand this cant be done over the day, but I'm wondering because the in kernel driver is throwing tons of firmware errors, so not sure if I should wait for updated drivers from you and stay on Ubuntu 20 or reinstall everything and use an older version of Ubuntu instead.

Best Regards!

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi MHans26,

We will try to check if we have an ETA for this.

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi MHans26,

Thank you for patiently waiting for an update.

According to our engineers, there is currently no ETA on when the Out of Tree (OOT) drivers will be updated to support the latest kernels. As for the specific issue that you are encountering, The linux/pci-aspm.h header file was removed from the kernel source recently. Here is information on the bug reported to sourceforge.

https://sourceforge.net/p/e1000/bugs/660/

Kindly monitor and check the thread. 

Looking forward to hear from you if you have any further questions. Should we not hear from you, we will check back with you after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi MHans26,

We have not heard from you yet, and we are reaching out to check if you need more time.

Should we not get your response, we will check back with you again after 3 business days.

If there is still no response, we may be forced to close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi MHans26,

We are following up on your thread that is still open where you are inquiring for a workaround to install latest igxbe drivers. We know that this is important for you to get your questions anaswered and it is also equally important for us to give you the right answers. Since we have not heard from you for several days, the case will automatically close.

You may want to post a new thread once you are ready to proceed with the issue.

Thank you for choosing Intel.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos