Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Pro/1000 PT Quad Port Adapter problem

idata
Employee

We have a Dell Precision Workstation T7500. With the card installed we receive Error Intializing PCI Express Slot. This happens no matter which PCIe slot we use. PC will boot but card is not detectable. Seems to be a POST problem.

We know the card is functioning properly because it works perfectly in a Dell Dimension machine.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

The Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter conforms to the PCI Express* 1.0a specification and intializes in version 1.x slots. Unfortunately, as you have discovered, the adapter may not work in some systems that use PCI Express Gen2.

Any of the other Intel Ethernet quad port server adapter models should work in your system. For comparison you can http://download.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/prodbrf/252454.pdf download an overview of Intel® Ethernet Adapters.

Let us know if you have any questions about the adapters.

Mark H

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

The Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter conforms to the PCI Express* 1.0a specification and intializes in version 1.x slots. Unfortunately, as you have discovered, the adapter may not work in some systems that use PCI Express Gen2.

Any of the other Intel Ethernet quad port server adapter models should work in your system. For comparison you can http://download.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/prodbrf/252454.pdf download an overview of Intel® Ethernet Adapters.

Let us know if you have any questions about the adapters.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

would it be possible that there may be problem with the pci-e slot?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Mark H,

Thank you. We ended up purchasing E1G44ET2. It works flawlessly with the cameras and software from National Instruments.

ichun,

The slots were only designed for PCI-E 2.0. The card we had would only work in PCI-E 1.0 slots. Dell also had set the slots to not be backwards compatible as well.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm also trying to buy a E1G44ET2 to run with National Instruments Cameras and Software. The problem is I'm running WIndows XP 64 bit and according to the data sheet for the Quad Port ET2, the drivers do not support XP, just Vista and Windows 7. Is this true?

I see there is a PCI-X Quad NIC (PWLA8494GT) that is XP compliant, but we don't have any PCI-X slots. It appears Intel discontinued the 1st gen Quad Port ET (E1G44ET) that did run on XP.
0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

If you need four ports in Windows XP, you could use the drivers for Windows* Server 2003. Those drivers will also work with Windows XP. Therefore you can use E1G44ET2 with Windows XP. You might also consider the http://www.intel.com/Products/Server/Adapters/esa-i340/esa-i340-overview.htm Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I340-T4.

Mark H

0 Kudos