Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

Problem teaming Pro1000PT dual nic with LACP in Windows7

idata
Employee

Hi there,

just setup a link aggregation of a 1000PT dual nic to a dlink DGS-1210-24 via LACP. I'm using a desktop system with W7 Ultimate. This config works great until my system goes to sleep (S3 mode) and got waken up again. The virtual team adapter isn't "responsive" anymore, meaning it provides "limited network access" only. In fact I can't even ping any network device, internet access isn't possible of course. The status of the team properties says, that nic# 1 is up and nic# 2 is in standby. The "team" stays in this state, until I disable and enable again the team's virtual network adapter. Well, this isn't very pleasant for me...

I changed many option already, always hoping for improvement: Jumbo frames off (9KB), fixed link speed (1GB/s), disabled "slow link speed while in powersave" and even other less sensible options. Nothing helps.

Allthough I saw some posts here, which describe very similar cases, I found no hint which solved my specific problem (or even matches my specific setup).

Help or ideas how to continue with analysis is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Frank

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vt5
New Contributor I

tried your setup on my end, pt dual port with win7 ultimate 64bit, created static link aggregation team then connect to linksys switch, verified both ports are in "active" state, set the system to sleep mode. once the system is back, the ports remain to be in "active" and doesn't exhibit the problem you have, what is your teaming driver and NIC driver? i'm using 9.8 (team) and 9.1(adapter), i got them from the latest 16.4 package.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18713&ProdId=2248&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A&DownloadType=Drivers

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the info, sage99. I'm using W7 Ultimate SP1 64bit plus driver package 16.4.

And yes, you are right, with Static Link Aggregation it seems to work, this is amazing for me..., thanks.

As opposed to your approach I used Dynamic Link Aggregation with lacp (IEEE802.3ad). This setup shows the behavior I described. This cannot be a problem with the dlink switch, because two Netgear switches and a NAS are connected to it via LACP. I played around with Vista 32/64 and XP 32 and found that Vista 32/64bit shows the same (mis-)behaviour, but...WindowsXP SP3 works as expected (good old times)!

The bottom line is, that static link aggreation works for me, until someone fixes the LACP implementation...

Thanks again for your support.

0 Kudos
vt5
New Contributor I

i'll see if i can try out the dynamic LA on my end

0 Kudos