Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4867 Discussions

Problem with Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Adapter driver

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am recently using a new system which is a Lenovo T410 with model number 2537LE3.

I noticed that whenever I am playing musics files from a USB flash drive which surfing the internet,

it causes a blue screen sometimes with error message something like "IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS" with file "e1k62x64.sys".

The incident happens when I press I press enter when finished typing address or clicked link in webpage in Internet Explorer.

I did a quick search on the file and found that it is from the ethernet card driver.

So I suspected that when there is simultaneous usage in USB and Ethernet, then the blue screen will most likely occurs.

Hope somebody will help me to solve this problem.

Running on system:

Lenovo Lenovo T410 2537LE3

BIOS version: 6IET68WW (1.28)

Windows 7 Enterprise x64 with latest updates

Ethernet driver version: 11.6.92.0

Thanks.

0 Kudos
54 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Follow these steps to get the generic software:

1. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/license_agr.aspx?url=/18713/eng/PROWinx64.exe&agr=Y&sType=&PrdMap=&DwnldId=18713&strOSs=All&OSFullName=All+Operating+Systems&lang=eng Download the software for 64-bit Windows.

2. Agree to the INTEL SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

3. Click on Network Adapter Driver for Windows 7*

4. Save the file to a location on your computer so you can follow my earlier steps for editing the INF file.

DISCLAIMER

The software drivers provided on this page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. However, computer original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided via your system manufacturer. Intel or the computer original equipment manufacturer (OEM) may not provide technical support for some or all issues that could arise from the usage of this generic version of software drivers.

Message was edited adding step 4 by: Mark H @ Intel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Okay, I'm with you so far... 'cept I'm not sure how to edit the contents of an exe file (PROWinx64.exe) using WinZip. Is that possible?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My approach to get the edited driver installed:

1) Follow Mark H guide to download the Network Adapter driver for Windows 7 64-bit.

2) You will get to download a file name "PROWinx64.exe" and save it to wherever you like.

3) For me, it is not possible to extract the contents inside the executable file

4) Navigate to "C:\Users\[Name]\AppData\Local\Temp" provided your operating system is installed in C drive. Replace [Name] with your current username and note that "AppData" folder is hidden attributed.

5) If possible, delete all the contents inside "Temp" folder, although some files or folder might not able to be deleted.

6) Right click "PROWinx64.exe" and click "Run As Administrator".

7) Click Yes and the file extraction will begin.

8) Do not press Next or do anything with the installation wizard dialog.

9) Go back to the "Temp" folder and find a folder with current timestamp. I get this folder name "pftC4B8.tmp", it might be different for you.

10) Navigate inside the "pftC4B8.tmp" folder.

11) Copy the folder with name "PRO1000" and paste it to your desktop.

12) Follow Mark H solution in post # 27 starting from step 3 on the folder you copied to your desktop.

13) Click Start, then right click "Computer" then click "Properties"

14) Click "Device Manager".

15) Expand "Network adapters"

16) Double click "Intel(R) 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection" or equivalent.

17) Click "Driver" tab.

18) Click "Update driver".

19) Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

20) Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

21) Click "Have Disk...".

22) Click "Browse".

23) Navigate "PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS62" folder in your desktop.

24) Select "e1k62x64.inf" and click "Open".

25) Click "OK".

26) It should show Intel(R) 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection, and select it.

27) Click "Next".

28) Driver installation will begin.

29) Click "Continue Anyway" if any digital signature dialog pop up.

30) Click "Close" and the edited driver is now installed.

31) Now you can safely cancel the installation wizard dialog.

Hope it helps.

Message was edited by: alexander3133 Reason: Edit and add steps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Wow! Nice work, Alexander! Thanks! Thirty steps... yet I can easily follow.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Mark H @ Intel

I've been batteling this for over a month now and could not transfer any files with to network shares without blue screening but just transfered over 50GB and it worked Flawlessly. Dell E6410 here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hear, hear! Too early for me to tell if this does the trick... but assuming it does... THANKS MARK! (And thanks to Alexander, too, for dumbing down the 30 easy-to-manage steps!)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mark,

While I appreciate you have provided a solution to this, should we not expect Intel to rebuild the driver package to resolve this issue and release it?

Regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
PBerr2
Beginner

Mark,

What about those of us experiencing the problem under 32 bit Windows 7? The missing INF information looks 64 bit specific?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

To alexander3133:

Thank you for sharing the steps you followed to apply the fix.

To smartin and others looking for an official package with the fix:

Yes, Intel will be releasing a new package that contains this fix. The package with this fix covers all the Intel(R) Ethernet products and requires testing for more than this fix, which means that a quick package rebuild and posting will not happen. My best estimate is that the package with the fix will be available in the generic software postings on intel.com around the middle of November.

I do not know what the version number will be on the package yet. At least one and maybe two software releases already nearing completion that will be posted before the release with this fix. Ignore the new software packages that get posted between now and November.

I will update this thread when the packages containing the fix are available so you will not have to guess.

Some manufacturers might have a package to download sooner than the generic package posted on intel.com.

To PRBUK and others with 32-bit Windows 7:

The links and file names I gave earlier were for 64-bit versions of Windows 7.

Here are the steps to get the generic software:

1. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/license_agr.aspx?url=/18713/eng/PROWin32.exe&agr=Y&sType=&PrdMap=&DwnldId=18713&strOSs=All&OSFullName=All+Operating+Systems&lang=eng Download the software for 32-bit Windows.

2. Agree to the INTEL SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

3. Click on Network Adapter Driver for Windows 7*

4. Save the file to a location on your computer so you can extract and edit the INF file.

5. You can use /message/102600# 102600 alexander3133's steps except that the 32-bit file name and path is different. I put the changed information below for STEP 12:

1. In the PRO1000\Win32\NDIS62 directory you will find the e1k6232.inf file.

2. Open the file.

3. Find the [E10EA.HW] and [E10EB.HW] sections

4. Add this line to each of the above sections

AddReg = MSI.reg

5. Save the file and install the drivers and software.

The edited sections should look like this example when you are done.

[E10EA.HW]

Include = machine.inf

Needs = PciIoSpaceNotRequired

AddReg = MSI.reg

[E10EB.HW]

Include = machine.inf

Needs = PciIoSpaceNotRequired

AddReg = MSI.reg

DISCLAIMER

The software drivers provided on this page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. However, computer original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided via your system manufacturer. Intel or the computer original equipment manufacturer (OEM) may not provide technical support for some or all issues that could arise from the usage of this generic version of software drivers.

0 Kudos
PBerr2
Beginner

Thank You for your support to this thread Mark.

Is it a reasonable assumption that the next 1-2 builds you refer to will have the same errors in the INF files which can be fixed in the same way as described in your recent responses?

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

PRBUK: Yes, the same errors exist in the next version release or two. Those releases are from teams focused on other products, so the driver files you need will not be in there. I will post something here when the release with the fix needed for this thread is available.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I can't even begin to express my thanks. I have been looking everywhere assuming that it was a problem with the Cisco VPN Client. Thanks so much for you help on this one Mark.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is this a generic problem with Intel NIC's? We have some machines based on the DH55TC motherboard and it has an onboard NIC (82578DC). We are having some blue screen and other problems that could be related to the NIC. I notice this thread refers to the generic Intel NIC software so I thought I'd ask.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

The fix and issues in this thread only apply to:

• Intel(R) 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection

• Intel(R) 82577LC Gigabit Network Connection

Although the Intel(R) 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection uses the same driver as the other devices in this thread, the missing lines in the INF file do not apply.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Interesting, I don't have any Symantec software installed on my Dell E6410's. They'll crash sporadically even with a clean install of Windows 7 x64 (with the addition of the 82577LM adapter driver, of course) on them. Still no change on Dell's driver page it seems.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Even if a new driver is not posted, your manufacturer might have a fix if you contact them directly. They might have a good reason for not posting the fix for general distribution, but they might make it available for your specific issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have similar issue - using DELL E6410 with 64-bit Windows 7 - Intel 82577 Gigabit - Driver 11.6.92.0 - Works fine most of the time in Docking station. BSOD when watching online streaming video or webinars - shows e1k62x64.sys caused the BSOD.

We have no fix yet from Dell / Intel / Microsoft

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've just spent some "quality time" (and of course I'm being facetious!) on the 'phone with Toshiba's tech support. I gave them the URL to this discussion thread and was told that Toshiba has not received a fix from Intel as discussed here. Is there some specific identifying name for this "potential fix" that I can refer to when chatting with Toshiba?

Also... I now have about 20 "minidump" files, all of which implicate e1k62x64.sys. This morning's dump referenced stop code 0x0000000A, whereas all previous ones had referenced stop 0x000000D1. Is this meaningful at all?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

clintoto wrote:

Interesting, I don't have any Symantec software installed on my Dell E6410's. They'll crash sporadically even with a clean install of Windows 7 x64 (with the addition of the 82577LM adapter driver, of course) on them. Still no change on Dell's driver page it seems.

I had initially thought it was only Symantec causing the BSOD until my laptop eventually bluescreened this morning.

I uninstalled SEP over the weekend. While it isn't the lone culprit it did make the BSOD occur more often.

This is definitely a driver problem.

We contacted Dell support today and they told us that no new driver was available.

As a matter of fact, they told us to try an older drvier from the Intel site:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19259&lang=eng http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19259&lang=eng

My coworker installed it after removing the currently installed driver but it still shows the same driver version in device manager.

I don't see how this can be a solution if it is the same driver version.

What gives? How can there not be a solution with so many people experiencing this issue?

idata
Employee

Armando,

In my case I had to go into the properties for the network adapter in the device manager, and roll back the drivers in order to force Windows to downgrade to the older drivers. These drivers fixed the problem for me. Good Luck!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the suggestion Julio but the "Rollback Driver" option is greyed out for me.

I did find a link to an older driver on the Dell ftp site though.

The intel driver version is 11.5.10.0

ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/network/Intel_825xx-Gigabit-Platform_A00_R257390.exe ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/network/Intel_825xx-Gigabit-Platform_A00_R257390.exe

I installed it and so far I haven't crashed when streaming video and transferring a large amount of files from the network (at the same time).

The older driver does seem to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for the information.

0 Kudos