Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Problems with X550-T1

Rich_H
Beginner

I have a pair of X550-T1s, both on Supermicro A2SDi-16C-HLN4F motherboards running Debian 11. The 550 on board A is working perfectly. The one on board B is going into firmware recovery mode at irregular intervals, anywhere from a few minutes to a few days after boot-up.

ethtool output for board A:

ethtool -i enp1s0
driver: ixgbe
version: 5.10.0-11-amd64
firmware-version: 0x8000048b
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:01:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

For board B:

ethtool -i enp1s0

driver: ixgbe

version: 5.13.4

firmware-version: 0x80000391

[remainder is identical to board A]

So right away I noticed that the board B firmware is a different version. Ha - okay, update is in order. I downloaded the latest (3.50) NVM update package, unpacked it and the Linux version, and ran nvmupdate64e. It claimed it was unable to access the 550's memory, and I need to update the device driver. So I downloaded, built and installed the latest ixgbe (apparently 5.13.4,) reran the NVM update, and it came back with "no update available." This despite the apparent fact that B's firmware is older than A's. 

So what's the deal with card B, and why can't I even touch its NVM? I do plan to roll back the ixgbe update, btw, because ever since 5.13 was installed, one of the on-board ethernet ports (X553, per lspci) which worked fine under the 5.10 driver is showing "up" but is inop inbound and outbound. 

I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Rich_H,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can we request for you to provide us a photo of the markings both front and back of the X550-T1 Network adapter that you are reporting, so that we can validate if this is a retail card or an OEM card before we can provide some recommendations.

Please refer to the link below as reference. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/ethernet-products/500-series-network-adapters-up-to-10gbe.html

Also can we request for you to provide us an SSU log so we can check as well any unusual activities of your system. 

Please follow the steps below to generate your SSU:

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

*Windows

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?product=91600

*Linux

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?

2. Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Note: Please put a tick on "Everything" when scanning the log.

4. You can provide us the logs on this thread 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Rich_H
Beginner

All three files attached. The PBA validates as an X550-T2, which is interesting because the card has only one port. 

Thanks for your help.

RH

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello Rich_H,

Thank you for the quick update. Please allow us some time to validate and further check on this matter. We will provide you with an update no later 3 business days.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Rich_H,

As per checking on the pictures of the markings that you have provided, we cannot yet determine if this is a retail card since it doesn't have a Yottamark or BradyId ID sticker which is an indication that it is a genuine Intel card, so we will also be needing to further check on that.

You can visit this link to learn ore about YottaMark* and BradyID* Stickers on Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007074/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-adapters-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Also we have checked on the SSU logs that you have provided however the log is incomplete. Can we ask for you to provide us the logs again and this time please provide us both system A and B and make sure when you are scanning the log to put a tick on "Everything" so we can have a complete view of the log and please do indicate which is system it is.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Rich_H,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Rich_H,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos