Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Problems with newly installed Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter

JClem4
Beginner

I recently purchased and installed an Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter (PCI-E, 1x channel) in my desktop machine. The problem I'm having is with downloading files of any substantial size (say, above 2 MB). For example, when using IE11, the download message says "download was interrupted" or "file was interrupted" - and multiple retries never succeeds.

When I temporarily enable a wireless adapter (and disable the intel CT connection) on the desktop, the file downloads just fine. For other reasons, the wireless adapter is not a long term solution - which is why I purchased the wired CT desktop adapter.

Drivers are up-to-date: (Intel, 5/26/2015, 12.7.28.0) - In fact, I had to download the driver package from Intel using the wireless connection because of the problems mentioned above with using the CT adapter.

Also - when running the hardware diagnostics, the loopback test fails - all others pass.

Is this a hardware issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JClem4
Beginner

Ah - should have mentioned - running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

From elevated command line (run as administrator) enter netsh int tcp show global , show us result

0 Kudos
JClem4
Beginner

Here's what I get:

D:\Windows\system32>netsh int tcp show global

Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters

----------------------------------------------

Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled

Chimney Offload State : automatic

NetDMA State : enabled

Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : disabled

Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal

Add-On Congestion Control Provider : none

ECN Capability : disabled

RFC 1323 Timestamps : enabled

** The above autotuninglevel setting is the result of Windows Scaling heuristics

overriding any local/policy configuration on at least one profile.
0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

netsh int tcp set global rss=disabled

netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled

netsh int tcp set global netdma=disabled

Then reboot PC and try.

0 Kudos
JClem4
Beginner

Unfortunately, same behavior.

Just to verify, here are the settings after the recommended changes and a reboot:

D:\Windows\system32>netsh int tcp show global

Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters

----------------------------------------------

Receive-Side Scaling State : disabled

Chimney Offload State : disabled

NetDMA State : disabled

Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : disabled

Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal

Add-On Congestion Control Provider : none

ECN Capability : disabled

RFC 1323 Timestamps : enabled

** The above autotuninglevel setting is the result of Windows Scaling heuristics

overriding any local/policy configuration on at least one profile.
0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Please provide screenshoot of 'Advanced' properties tab of NIC properties in device manager.

0 Kudos
JClem4
Beginner

There are several settings available on this tab - is the one (or more) in particular to view?

0 Kudos
JClem4
Beginner

New info: after a few days of debugging, here's what I've learned:

• I installed a new NIC - same make/model as previous: Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter (PCI-E, 1x channel). No change in behavior - so I can at least rule this out this HW as a failure point. Curious that this NIC also fails the loopback test - but perhaps I'm not running that test correctly (i.e. I leave it connected to the router).
  • Downloading large files (>5MB) works fine with FTP - the problem appears to be with HTTP downloads only
  • Behavior is the same with IE (v11) and Firefox (40.0.3) browsers - FTP files download with no problem - HTTP downloads are either interrupted, or when they download they are corrupt (invalid signature and/or CRC error)
  • Ran a memory test (Windows Memory Diagnostic) on the desktop - no errors

Hoping these clues leads someone to a possible cause (and fix!).

Thx

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Its look like trouble is in border router. Try to connect directly to provider outlet, if possible, switching off router for an hour (to cool and reboot) is also a good idea.

0 Kudos