Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4862 Discussions

PtP Boundary Clock using 2 i211 chips

GOman1
Beginner

Hi Intel,

right now we're using two i211 chips, with each having its own inteface in linux 4.4. Using ptp4l we've got a "Poor man's boundary clock" working using the ptp4l JBOD option over those two chips.

If I understand correctly, it is possible to

1. connect a PPS signal to SDP[0-2] of the i211 facing the GM, for even more accurate timing.
  2. have the chip towards the GM emit a timing signal on SDP[0-2] and use that to drive the other i211's clock (also SDP[0-2]) for accurate synchronization between the chips.

While this seems simple from the hardware side, I would like to better understand how this has to be configured in software.

Do you have an application note for this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello GOman1, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Are these I211 chips embedded in a custom device? We will check if any information is available and update you soon. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello GOman1, Please check this further by posting in the Embedded Community, as they are more experienced in supporting this type of configuration. Let us know if you have any other questions. A link to the Embedded Community follows: https://forums.intel.com/s/topic/0TO0P00000018NIWAY/embedded-products?language=en_US Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos