Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

Random MAC broadcasted at PC reboot

Luzankia
Beginner

Hello

I have a fingbox on my personal network, each time I reboot my PC, two MAC address are detected by the fingbox.

It only append with this PC and my previous one. They both has in common an Intel NIC. A Gigabit CT on the old one and a I211 on the new one.

I'm using W10 Pro 1809.

It's not a big problem but I don't like not knowing why it happen.

Regards.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Caguicla_Intel
Hello LANKI, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Please provide the details below for us to check on your query. 1.) When was the two MAC address that are detected by the fingbox first encountered? 2.) Kindly provide two SSU log (one log after reboot where the fingbox detected two MAC address) so that we can check if there were random MAC addresses that will be captured on the logs. Kindly refer to the steps below. a- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- b- Open SSU.exe c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan". d- When finished scanning, click "Next". e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post. Looking forward to your response. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Luzankia
Beginner

Hello,

1) It started when I installed the fingbox on my network. I had previously a Domotz server on my network with no detection of this kind.

I already have 34 mails exchange with the fing support (for tests and result, I'm not harassing them) and they are now pointing the NIC.

2) Here the two SSU log, before and after the reboot.

I rebooted two time today, so I have 4 new MAC address detected (2 at each reboot).

First reboot :

10:FA:06:65:EE:14

3F:E3:18:EE:E3:F7

Second reboot :

44:EA:54:29:67:AE

88:C5:7C:9A:85:7A

It's always a random MAC with no vendors associated to (when I look on https://macvendors.com/ website).

Regards.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello LANKI, Thank you for providing the requested information. Please check the details below for our findings on the SSU logs. 1.) After checking, only one MAC address was captured on the log. You may check it on the logs and scroll down to Networking and search for the MAC Address. You may also check the MAC address of your I211 Ethernet on the Command Prompt using 'ipconfig /all' command. 2.) The MAC addresses that were detected on the fingbox were not captured on the logs. We understand that you contacted fingbox already but you may contact them again to double check and explain that the NIC has only one MAC address based on the extracted log. 3.) Is there any other devices connected on the same network of fingbox? If you have, you may check the MAC address of those devices if they are the one that appeared on the fingbox. 4.) We tried to check your MAC address on https://macvendors.com/ and it showed that it comes from Gigabyte which is accurate on the logs you provided. 5.) Please be informed that this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded with Gigabyte system. For OEM on-board Ethernet controller, it would be best if you can also get in touch with Gigabyte for further support since they might have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. Please visit this link for Support Options for Intel® Ethernet Controllers https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006628/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html?wapkw=oem+network We would highly appreciate if you can give us an update after checking our findings above. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Luzankia
Beginner

Hello,

Ok for the I211 but what about my Intel Desktop CT PCIe who has the same behavior with my previous and current PC ?

I don't have the Old PC anymore but I will try my CT in another computer and see what it does.

This should remove the Gigabyte variable of the equation.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello LANKI, Just to confirm, how may units are having this behavior on your fingbox? To isolate, you may try connecting one your device on a different security device or fingbox. Because if it is unlikely that all of your devices are having the same issue, that is why we asked you again to contact fingbox. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello LANKI, We'd like to check if you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter. If you do, please do not hesitate to ask and we will be glad to assist you. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello LANKI, Please let us know if you have contacted fingbox again for further support. We would highly appreciate if you can give us an update on this. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Luzankia
Beginner

I think I found the problem and I wasn't expecting that.

My main PC always had an iSCSI LUN mounted from one of my Synology NAS.

Four days ago, something broke in my setup, I did some connections tests to the LUN and my mailbox was spammed with MAC detection from my fingbox.

After I stoped my NAS and did some reboot, not a single MAC detection.

As this iSCSI LUN wasn't really useful, I disactivated it.

In summary :

It's probably not from the Fingbox,

It can come from Windows (iSCSI connector) but SSU logs show no strange behavior,

It more likely can come from Synology's DSM.

I think I should be able to identify the origin of this if I recreate the setup and look at the MAC table of my HP ProCurve switch.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello LANKI, Thank you for the update. We are glad to hear that you may now have found the problem. You just need to recreate the setup to confirm if the problem would still occur. We hope you don't mind sharing this additional information. Where does the random MAC address appears on your system? Do you have an application that detects it or it pops out on your system and detects random MAC address? Looking forward to your response. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello LANKI,

We'd like to check if you were able to recreate the setup and and confirmed that the problem was caused by Synology's DSM.

Please also share the details that we requested on our previous post.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello LANKI,

Kindly share if the issue has now been resolved. If yo have additional questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos