Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

Receiving PXE-E16 No offer received error message when PXE booting windows devices.

RLemo3
Beginner

Not sure where to post this question, so I will start here. We are having difficulty with UEFI PXE boot on our computers. Legacy BIOS clients boot successfully. The PXE client reports an error, PXE-E16 No offer received. I cannot find this error in the specification. Can someone tell me what the error means? 

We have 12 different sites across the organization and one is giving us this problem. We have not been able to find the cause, but we do have this error message and it would be helpful in our troubleshooting to know more about the error.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Rlemo3, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. To help us assist you with this issue please provide the Intel Ethernet adapter or controller being used for PXE in the computers. Which version of Windows are you trying to boot? Are all sites using the same systems and connecting to a similar switch? Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
RLemo3
Beginner

The adapters are L219-V and L219-LM.

All locations have the same switch configuration. We are booting to Windows 10 PE.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Rlemo3, Thank you for the reply. We will check on the PXE-E16 error. This is effecting both the I219-V and I219-LM machines? The BIOS settings are the same in other sites, and the boot image is the same? Have you checked if the client is sending DHCP discover, and the server is sending DHCP offer? See the following for details: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006544/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html?wapkw=pxe Let us know if any questions come up. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
RLemo3
Beginner

Yes, the problem is effecting all machines. The BIOS settings are the same. We have done a Wireshark trace and can see that the DHCP Requests and Offers are being sent.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Rlemo3, Thank you for the reply. We will check on this, and update you regarding the PXE-E16 error. Let us know if any other questions come up. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Rlemo3, Please let us know if all machines on the site with the error are running the same BIOS version as the similar machines on the other sites. This might have already been checked with the BIOS settings, but we just want to be sure. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
RLemo3
Beginner

Yes, BIOS versions are the same. This is across all UEFI devices, regardless of model. We did update the BIOS on one machine but received the same results.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Rlemo3, Thank you for the reply. We will check on this, and get back to you as soon as possible. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Rlemo3, Thank you for your patience. Would you be able to attempt to boot using a different Ethernet controller either PCIe or onboard if available. We want to isolate this to the specific Ethernet controllers installed on the devices. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Rlemo3, Please let us know if you are able to boot any of the systems with another Ethernet controller. If this is not an option for isolation, please let me know. We will further check the issue without testing another Ethernet controller. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support Under contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RLemo3
Beginner

We have 12 sites that we use for imaging. Only one site gives us the error. We are certain the problem is not in the client. We were hoping that we could gain insight into the specific error code, PXE-E16, to help us determine the cause of the error.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Rlemo3, Thank you for the reply. Please check that the boot agent version on the machines with PXE-E16 is the same as the boot agent on the working machines. This can be found after BIOS when the system loads the PXE boot. If you are using Windows Deployment Services, and the service is integrated with Active Directory, using a standalone service seems to resolve this issue as in the following thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2d2e2436-80c8-4c21-9f06-e72097c8dcb7/wds-pxee16-error-when-booting-uefi-clients?forum=winserversetup Please note that this is from a third party website, and Intel is not responsible for the content. Please let us know if the information on Technet is helpful, or you find that the boot agent version is different. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support Under contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RLemo3
Beginner

Thanks for the information. We have tried this solution with out success, as well as others such as disabling NetBIOS on the IPv4 properties of the NIC. What is troubling to me is that I cannot find any specific information on the PXE-E16 error. I have read the original specifications written by Intel and there is no reference to that error. I have not had any luck finding information on what causes the error. If I knew the specifics of the error, why it is generated, then I would hopefully have some idea on where to look for the problem.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Rlemo3, Thank you for the reply. We will see what information we can find on the PXE-E16 "No offer received" error. We will update you as soon as possible. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support Under contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RLemo3
Beginner

We found the problem causing the error. There was a bad gateway address in DHCP for the network segment. Based on what I have learned through troubleshooting is that the E16 error has to do with the offer from the WDS server. Because of the bad gateway, this offer was not received by the client.

0 Kudos
VincentT_Intel
Hello Rlemo3, Glad to know you've resolved the PXE-E16 error. Thank you for sharing the solution on this community. Please let us know if there's other assistance needed. Best Regards, Vince T. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos