Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Running ethernet on a 1GB network, download speed caps at 250mb.

JMcCa32
Beginner

I have an Asus ROG XI code motherboard that has an intel 1219-v network card. I understand that the card is listed to support gigabit speeds but my system seems to not be able to reach over 250mbps. I have tried switching cords, reinstalling driver, changing the cards settings to force 1GB speed in its properties, but nothing has fixed the issue. Is there any other potential fixes I missed? I should also note that I have another Desktop running with the same ethernet cords I was previously testing on and it does receive the full gigabit speeds on the network so i figure it has to be related to my system.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
HHuyH
Beginner

How do you check that bandwidth?

0 Kudos
JMcCa32
Beginner

I checked the bandwidth just by doing a speed test with ookla across both systems, one gives results around 1GB speeds as it should and the other does not go above 250, this speed difference is also reflected in any other download I have done on either of them regardless of platform.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you got two PCs on this subnet? Do a PC-to-PC transfer test to determine the pure, sustainable Ethernet speed. Let's not talk about downloading from the internet, which add all sorts of other variables into the calculations.

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Also, forcing 1Gb speeds is not a good thing to do. All this will do is introduce packet transmission errors and add retries into the picture. The speed that was being used was a determination of the capability presented by the cables in use when the connection was established. I would conclude from what you have said that you are using CAT5 cables - which are designed to support only 100Mb communications - and thus are not the cables you should be using with Gb equipment.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
JMcCa32
Beginner

No, both systems are using CAT6 cables, and I have tried switching the cables between both of them and having only one plugged into the router at a time but it still nets the same results of one PC running consistently at the 1GB speeds and the other capping at 250mbps. I can try the PC-to-PC transfer though.

0 Kudos
JMcCa32
Beginner

I also checked the ethernet status and it lists that the negotiated speed is in fact 1GBps but it still never performs at that rate, only 1/4 of it

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I did a quick PC-to-PC test (i217-V to i218-LM). For a 20GB transfer over Ethernet, I netted a 112MB/s average transfer rate. That's ~900Mb/s.

For interest's sake, I disabled Ethernet, enabled AX200 Wireless-AC connection (I have only -AC router, not -AX) and ran the same test. I netted a 42MB/s average transfer rate. That's ~330Mb/s. I expected better...😕

...S

0 Kudos