Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

SR-IOV Adapter Teaming / Bonding

idata
Employee

Is it possible to set up adapter teaming / bonding on two VFs from two Intel X520-T2 ports? I would like to add resiliency to my VMs....

I have two VFs within my virtual Windows Server 2008 R2 under Citrix XenServer 6.0 and simple networking works all fine for both, but the usual adapter teaming options within the Intel driver settings are not visible on the VF adapter properties.

Any Help?

Thanks in advance

Marco

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for visiting our forum.

At this time the bonding of VF's in a Microsoft Windows guest is not supported. We are working on adding the capability.

I have sent a question off to the engineering team as to when this will be supported, when I get a response, I'll come back and add that to this thread.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Patrick,

is there any news on bonding VF's in Microsoft Windows virtual machines/guests?

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

As you may have hard, Windows Server 2012 will support SR-IOV. This is true for W2K12 VM's as well, so in an Open Source VMM, you can assign multiple VF's to a W2K12 VM and then bond them within the VM.

We are currently targeting Q1 2013 for adding driver support to do this for a W2K8R2 VM. We have been busy getting ready for the W2K12 release that supports SR-IOV and are now putting some attention towards W2K8.

Hope this helps.

- Patrick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Patrick, so if I understand well, no SR-IOV support yet in W2K12 Hyper-V VMM cause you mention Open Source VMM with W2K12 VM. Is it correct ? if Yes, when can we expect full SR-IOV support with both W2K12 VMM and VM ?

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

W2K12 Hyper-V will support SR-IOV. If you assign multiple VF's to a VM running on top of W2K12 Hyper-V you can bond those VFs if the VM is running either an Open Source OS, or is a W2K12 Server VM.

As of yet, you cannot bind VF's withn a W2K8 Server VM, the driver support for that is trending for early next year.

Hope that clear it up.

- Patrick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI Patrick,

i'm having similar issue,

i've installed the latest driver and it supports teaming of VF on 2008R2 but not on SFT mode - only AFT (which is not good for me)

I have failed to find anywhere if this is by design/i'm doing something wrong/bug/to be added in a future release

can you please assist?

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

Hi Ben,

SR-IOV support in Microsoft Windows is pretty new. We are still working with Microsoft to implement some of the teaming features, including SFT.

We'll post to this forum when the features is available in a new driver release.

thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos