Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

SR-IOV - adding vlan tag to a VMs XML file

EOtoa
Beginner

I am trying to modify the XML file of my VM to include a vlan tag for one of the X710 Virtual functions. This will mean that i don't have to configure it on the VM. I have tried the following approaches but cannot get it to work. Have I got the syntax wrong or are there special permissions I would need for it to work?

Method A

[test @localhost ~]$ virsh edit test

This gives a syntax error and does not try to save the xml file so I guess the hostdev section does not accept vlan tag?

Method B

[test @localhost ~]$ virsh edit test

This gives the following error

[test @localhost ~]$ virsh start test

error: Failed to start domain test

error: Unable to preserve mac/vlan tag for device = (null), vf = 1: Permission denied

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Eugenics,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. I am not sure what is the exact OS used, but managed to find this site hopefully can be of help:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/virtualization_administration_guide/chap-guest_virtual_machine_device_configuration https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/virtualization_administration_guide/chap-guest_virtual_machine_device_configuration

(Please note this is third party website for your reference only, Intel has no control over the content therein,).

Further, you may try contacting the OS vendor on how to configure the XML file as they can better assist you with what syntax or command used as this something relevant to the OS. Thanks.

Regards,

Sharon T
EOtoa
Beginner

Thanks for the guide Sharon,

I followed the steps mentioned here before running into the issue I highlighted earlier. I'll reach out to the OS vendor as you suggested.

Regards

Gene

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gene,

Thank you for the reply. Please feel free to update me if you have contacted the OS vendor and if further assistance needed.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos