Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

SRIOV IXGBE Trust Mode

Pmaru
Beginner

Hi All,

I am trying to launch on VMs on RHEL7.3. I am using SRIOV for VM networking and default ixgbe version which comes along with RHEL7.3 is version: 4.4.0-k-rh7.3.

Though I am successfully able to send icmp traffic between VM and remote side physical machine.

But, I am trying to configure my VM as plain L2 device, with capability to accept packets with Unknown Unicast address. For this, I am configuring the VF in trust mode, but I am still see packets with mac addresses other than VF mac gets dropped.

So, can any one please confirm if 82599ES nic card has any hardware limitation due to which it won't support unicast promiscuous mode ? or has anyone made it work with 82599ES nic card?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Pratik

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi pratikmaru,

Thank you for posting in Wired Ethernet Community.

82599 does not support promiscuous mode for VFs. Kindly refer to similar query found in this thread.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/111606 https://communities.intel.com/thread/111606

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
Pmaru
Beginner

Hello Vince,

Thanks for looking into it and replying back.

But above query doesn't specifically talks about behavior of 82599ES nic cards with respect to unicast promiscuous mode while enabling trust mode.

Can you please clarify that as well?

=========

Comment from other thread does say about support for multicast promiscuous in trust mode, does same applies to unicast promiscuous as well?

Hi Demirel, For your question pertaining to promiscuous mode, Fortville supports multicast promiscuous mode.

Please let us know if you have additional clarification.

regards,

Vince

=========

Regards

Pratik

0 Kudos
Pmaru
Beginner

Hello Vince,

I am actually trying to get this information for a while, so can you please help in expediting the resolution for this query.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Pratik

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Pratik, I've confirmed that 82599 doesn't support unicast promiscuous for VFs. Apologies for any inconvenience.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
Pmaru
Beginner

Hello Vince,

Can you please confirm, if Intel has any plans to extend the support in future ? if yes, any guidance on timelines will be really helpful.

Thanks

Pratik

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Pratik, as of the moment, there's no information on plan to support unicast VF promiscuous mode in 82599.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos