Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4871 Discussions

SRIOV VF behavior with X710 PF

Harish_V
Beginner

Hi Team,

Hope all of you are doing well !!

I'm using X710 PF with SR-IOV FLAT mode and the VF is attached to a VM.

I changed the VF link state of the PF from enable to auto. The command is like this:

ip link set <interface-name> vf <vf-number> state auto

Then I made PF down and after that, I logged into the VM and used show port detail command in our VM , there I could see the state of port is still UP.

Is this expected behavior on X710/XL710 ?

Regards
Harish

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Harish_V,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

This is a normal behavior, please refer to the SR-IOV primer at https://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/application-note/pci-sig-sr-iov-primer-sr-iov-technology-paper.pdf for additional details on how it works.

Once the SR-IOV is enabled, the VF will have its own dedicated resources within the IO device even the enabled VF is associated wit the PF function. That explain why the VF can still send packets.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Harish_V
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update. 

What is the expected behavior of a VF when it is auto and the corresponding PF went down ( VF will be down or up ? ) 

Regards

Harish 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Harish_V,

Thank you for the reply. To answer your question, It is still up and that is a normal behavior.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Harish_V,

I hope you are having a good day I am just checking if you still have clarifications regarding this thread.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Harish_V
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Thanks for answering my query.

Please archive this conversation for now. Will reach out to you if any further queries later. 

Regards

Harish 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Harish_V,

Thank you for the update and as you requested. I will close this thread now and if you need assistance again. Kindly post a new question.

Again, Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos