Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

SS4200-E Network Issue

idata
Employee

Up untill a couple of days ago my SS4200-E worked fine now I cant access it or the Web interface.

- All lights in front are blue and the only ones that blink is the ethernet and h/d access light

- A orange light is on in the back and a yellow light one blinks on the ethernet port

Both the lights on the back of the SS4200 and my router blink for approx. 10 sec then go out for 1 sec then start blinking again. ( I'm sure this is telling me something just cant tell what)

I have tried resetting the unit both just normally and to reset to previous firmware method.

I have tried different router, computer (one with no antivirus), ethernet cables.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

shooter67,

Can you restart the storage systems and access it for a short time right after rebbot? If so, you could try to close content indexing and media service. We have seen a few cases, where a corrupted document file or media files could prohibit access.

Content Indexing can be found under Settings – Search – Content Search Settings. Uncheck the "Enable File Content Search check box.

Media Services is under Settings – Media Services – Media Server. Uncheck the check box there.

Regards,

John

idata
Employee

John,

I have tried to access after a reboot but I cannot seem to get the page to come up. I does seem to assign a DHCP IP once and awhile but not always. I tried unplugging my 4 harddrives in the unit hoping that it would let me access the page if no drives where detected but it didnt work. I have 2 new drives (different size) If I started new with them should I be able to access the configuration web page then? (I only want to do this if I wont lose my data)

If no, any other Ideas?

Thank you in advance

Steve.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

shooter67,

You might want to try a system recovery (operating system recovery). Recovery images are created/updated as part of the upgrade process. The first part of the upgrade process is to update the set of recovery images from the images currently running on the system. New systems have the same primary and backup image.

To perform a recovery, remove any and all externally attached devices (USB) and reboot the system. As system reboots, immediately press and hold rear panel reset button when the front panel LEDs begin to blink. Hold until LEDs turn off (~5 seconds). Recovery restores runtime images from most recent backup set.

If you want to try the new HDDs, start by removing the old HDDs, number them according to the positions they came from. You won't loose the data on the old HDDs by installing new ones in the system (complete swap out). The system runs the operating system from the installed Disk on Module (DOM) and the HDDs are just data. So the data on removed drives will be safe to be reinstalled later. This is essentially what happens if you need to RMA a faulty storage system. The installed HDDs are detected and configured during boot.

If the system cannot acquire a DHCP IP address, the storage system will self-assign an "auto" IP address in the 169.254.X.Y range after a short period of time. We can use that to our advantage. I suggest direct connecting and Ethernet cable between your computer and the storage system. Manually set the computer to an IP address in the 169.254.X.Y range (subnet 255.255.0.0). With the new HDDs, you should be able then to access the system through the storage system console on the computer.

See how that works.

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

John,

I had tried the recovery option earlier.... no luck. I tried swapping out the 4 old hard drives for 2 new ones in position 1&2 inside the unit... It didnt work I just got a solid amber light indicating a overheating or power supply issue. I put the old har drives back and everything was fine..... except for the accessing part. I tried the 169.254. addressing with the old and new (even though I had a amber light) but with no luck. I'm thinking RMA time..... But I am willing to try another idea if you have any. Thanks for your time and effort in this.

Steve.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

shooter,

The amber status LED with the new HDDs installed most likely indicates the array hasen't initialized yet. if it does initialize the array (RAID 1 with two disks installed) the status LED will turn blue in 5 or 10 minutes when the array is initialized enough to work. The initialization proceeds in the background. So at this point you "should" be able to access with the storage manager on your netwrk with the DHCP configuration if everythings working correctly.

If not, an RMA may be in order.

Good luck.

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have sent this unit for a RMA. Tech support did come up with 1 other suggestion and that was to remove the cmos jumper for 5 minutes to clear and then try to restart but the same issue was there. I thank you for all your help and hope this can aid someone else in the future.

0 Kudos