Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Setting PAP register (Pause and Pace) in X550 based NIC via INTEL standard drivers possible?

jai_alai
Beginner

Dear support community,

I'm looking for some information on whether it's possible to enable the "Pause and Pace" / IPG adaption feature (chap 3.7.5 in X550 datasheet) in the INTEL standard driver on either Windows or LINUX systems.

The standard driver configuration manual didn't really say much on this.

Maybe there are some commandline switches to do this job (e.g. setting the PAP register directly)?

Thanks for your help & best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jai_alai,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can we request for you to provide us first a photo of the markings both front and back of your NIC so we can check if you are using an Intel retail or an OEM adapter.

Can you also share us the link where you have found this documentation? And we would like to ask why are you needing this feature so that we can provide some recommendations as well.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3-4 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jai_alai,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jai_alai
Beginner

Dear Zigfreid,

thanks for reaching out on my 10GbE controller question.

The question was actually not for a specific type of "card" from a manfacturer, rather for X550 controller based NICs in general, as reducing the effective  line rate via bigger IPGs would be useful for some R&D'ish setups on our end.

(BTW the documentation on the feature you had asked for, is in the official INTEL data sheet for the X550 e.g. on this page here https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/333369?explicitVersion=true)

Actually I wanted to change my question a bit towards the X710, as in the meanwhile it turned out that in one machine we use this 10/40 controller, which also supports the same feature.

Intel Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710T4 Product Specifications

So first question would be the same for the X710 :

- Can one somehow enable/parameterize the PAP feature on the controller X710-T4 NIC via the standard INTEL driver (e.g. some commandline switch, windows registry, other ...?)

- Is there maybe a way to switch off the >dynamic< IPG adaption in PAP based on sent frame length - and just have PAP insert longer & constant length IPGs between frames?

Thanks for checking & best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jai_alai,

Thank you very much for providing us an update and also for providing us the link on where you saw our documentation for this. Please provide us some time to have this further check. Is it okay if we can provide you an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date instead please advise us. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jai_alai,

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jai_alai
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

no issues at all, looking forward to the response.

Best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jai_alai,

Firstly we do apologize for the delay and for any inconvenience since we were waiting for an update from our engineer's. As per advised by our engineer's, they have checked with Windows and Linux driver experts and unfortunately, we have been advised that this is not configurable through the drivers. You could probably change it by changing a register but that is not recommendable.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jai_alai
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

as mentioned, this is a pure R&D use case for now.

So if there is a way to change via registers to reach the described behaviour - ideally with static, but enlarged IPGs - that would be great. Is there an option to do so without altering the driver?

Best regards,
Alex 

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jai_alai,

We do apologize if we are unable to provide you the information that you are seeking. We will try to check again with our engineers if they can provide the steps changing via register however we cannot guarantee for an answer since this method is not recommended by our engineers. Please provide us another 2-3 business days for this to have it check. If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day! 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jai_alai,

Firstly we do apologize for the delay in providing you an update since the case is being coordinated with our engineers. We have received an update from our developers and was advised that configuring this by adjusting a register is not recommended and not a confirmed option. We sincerely apologize that as much as we want to assist you further we cannot accommodate your request.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further. If none, please advise us if we can close the thread. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jai_alai,

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jai_alai
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

I'm fine for the 710 as the register method seems to be not supported/recommended by your DevTeam.

One last question for the X550:

We managed to enable PAP on it as per its spec sheet, and are now wondering whether the adapter can be configured to just use longer-than-standard, but >static< length IPGs? (e.g. provide some variable "use n bit times break after EOF" to the driver or similar, maybe also via register setting).

We know of such features from other NICs, but as X550 is used as an onboard/"soldered" NIC in our lab machines, this would enable us to do some test directly on them.

Thanks in advance & best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Alex,

Thank you for the reply and we apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

Please allow us to further check your additional question. We will get back to you as soon as there is any findings but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind understanding. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jai_alai,

Please be informed that these are all the available configuration and control operation references for Inter Packet Gap (IPG).

They are detailed in the X550 controller datasheet. Please check and review the datasheet starting in section 3.7.5 on page 135

NOTE: Please see the file that we attached.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jai_alai,

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
jai_alai
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

no further questions from my side, thanks for your support.

Best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello jai_alai,

Thank you very much for confirming, we will now close this request. For future concerns please don't hesitate to post a new question. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos