Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

Setting native vlan during PXE boot - Intel 10gb card

idata
Employee

My network is set up with 8021q tagging enabled, and this works perfectly well while in an operating system, but I can't seem to vlan tag during PXE boot

Is there any way, using bootutil or the like, to set the native vlan during PXE boot on Intel cards? (Specifically an Intel 82599EB 10gb card, but I'm assuming it will be a generic way)

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
7 Replies
A_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the question. We will be including 802.1Q VLAN support for PXE in our next software release, which is right around the corner.

It's important to note that we can't pass this VLAN information into the operating system after you boot, so you'll need to consider that in your network design and/or your operating system image.

I will post here as soon as we post the new version of the PREBOOT webpack with this feature included.

0 Kudos
A_L_Intel
Employee

Well version 17.1 of our software has launched, at it turns out that PXE VLAN functionality was not implemented after all... I misread some feature documentation and reported the wrong thing in the previous post. Apologies for any confusion that was caused.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Are there any news regarding this topic? For testing and partitioning large infrastructures the possibility to use PXE on a tagged VLAN would be very helpful.

0 Kudos
A_L_Intel
Employee

Here's an update on VLAN support for PXE. We are working on this feature, but it isn't fully baked yet and there are some caveats. If you would like to get some information and maybe test it out in your environment, please contact me via private message.

Thanks!

south

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sending you a private message on topic.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have also sent a private message. Any update on this feature? Im sure there will be many people who are interested in how this turns out.

0 Kudos
VKirp
Beginner

Any update from Intel on VLAN support for PXE.

Can the appropriate person from Intel respond.

Thanks,

Vijay

0 Kudos