Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Slow/decreasing speeds: Ethernet Controller I225-V

NotDJK
Beginner

I've just upgraded my PC to an Asus PRIME Z590-A motherboard using the Intel Ethernet Controller I225-V (driver 1.0.2.8).

I have 1.2gb download with my internet provider, and on my previous motherboard using a RealTek gigabit ethernet controller, I trended at sustained ~940mb down on speed tests.

With this controller at default driver settings I am seeing half of those speeds, 400-500 down. I did some digging and found some other threads where changing Speed & Duplex in Advanced properties from Auto Negotiate to 2.5 Gbps Full Duplex was a solution, but this didn't seem to help.

I changed that setting to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex, and now my speeds are anywhere from ~850-950mb down when the test ramps up, but within a few seconds, the speeds just start trending down to ultimately land at 650-715mb.

What is going on here? Are there other settings I should be looking at, or is this a known issue with the controller, to be addressed in a future driver?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello NotDJK,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue. We have a documented issue with this I225-V in 3rd party boards. Please check the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html?productId=2469&localeCode=us_en

For the NVM update file, kindly contact the manufacturer of your board. Each board manufacturer has their own NVM file and they have different ways to update the NVM.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello NotDJK,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just checking if you already tried contacting the manufacturer of the board which is Asus regarding the NVM update.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
NotDJK
Beginner

Hi Michael, thanks for checking. I've been in contact with Asus and they supplied me an NVM update package. However, the package fails to update per their instructions so I've been trying to work through that with them. I don't get the sense they understand why its failing, and I REALLY don't want to dismantle the PC and RMA the board, so I'm trying to get past the issue. I hope to have an update soon.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello NotDJK,

Thank you so much for the update. That is weird that the onboard NIC is not updating following their instructions. Kindly continue coordinating with them for a thorough diagnostic of the board.

By the way, since you are now talking to the board manufacturer, do you still have clarifications with us?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
NotDJK
Beginner

Thanks Michael, I appreciate the follow-up. Unfortunately, Asus does not seem to have an answer as to why I can't perform the firmware update and has recommended an RMA. I don't feel comfortable taking this all apart only to get back another board with the same general issue. I've instead picked up a dedicated NIC card and am seeing expected and sustained download speeds.

I think you can close this issue. If I see future driver updates to the Intel LAN controller I'll give them a try and see if things get better.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello NotDJK,

Thank you for the update and I am really sorry to hear that. From the link that we provided, Intel and 3rd party board manufacturers already confirmed that there is no issue performance issue so the onboard network card should work fine unless there is a hardware problem. Since Asus already advised to replace the board, that means and base on their diagnostic, the onboard LAN is already failing.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello NotDJK,

I hope you enjoyed your weekend. I am just checking and hoping that you are now talking to Asus for further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello NotDJK,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending another follow up on hoping that you are now talking to Asus for further assistance.  Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos