Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

Slow speeds and cable integrety check failed

Master_X
Beginner

Hi guys, I just finished my  new Build with a B660i strix mobo. It uses Intel i225-v and I just discovered that Intel PROSet Tool. It tells me a failed cable integrety check and a bad connection at 225 meters. Now the funny part is, I do not have 225 meters of cable in the whole network first of all. Second I used a known good RJ45 cable to check it isolated between PC and router. Same again (with a 20m cable). Since there seems to be an error I think that causes my connection to be way to slow. My other devices with 2.5Gbit running 100% fine only the new build does trouble. I got 1Gbit internet and a speedtest varies between initial (sometimes) 900Mbit and 40Mbit.  But for the most part its around 100 Mbit. Full 1100Mbit on other devices. I have no idea anymore, do you ?

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
17 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi Master_X,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

Can share with us what is your Intel I225-V driver version and NVM firmware version that currently installed on your computer? The version information might be visible on Intel® PROSet Adapter tab.

If you are using Windows 10 or Windows 11, you may try to verify the network driver and NVM image in PowerShell with below command:

Get-IntelNetAdapter | Format-List -Property DriverVersion, ETrackID, NVMVersion

Or

Get-IntelNetAdapter | Format-List DriverVersion, NVMVersion

You also can try to configured both driver or switch settings as below and verify if the issue persists.

Speed & Duplex: Auto Negotiation

Energy Efficient Ethernet: Disabled / OFF

You might want to check on below article link for more information regarding Packet Loss on Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058758/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html?wapkw=i225-v

Best regards,

Fariz_Intel

0 Kudos
Master_X
Beginner

My powershell gives the these results

Screenshot_1.png

Nicht unterstützt means not supported. I read really much about this and saw NVM update stuff but I did not find anything suitable at all. This is the whole ASUS driver package:
Screenshot_1.png

I also don't fine any EEE stuff in my settings. This is all:

Screenshot_1.png

And this is my PROSet Adapter tab:

Screenshot_1.png

edit:

I did not expirience packet loss or connection loss as far as I am aware. It's really only the speed which is way below 2.5Gbit/s.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi Master_X,

Thanks for sharing the information.

"Nicht unterstützt means not supported. I read really much about this and saw NVM update stuff but I did not find anything suitable at all. This is the whole ASUS driver package:"

Looks like the version installed is 1.1.3.34. Have you able to get Intel I225-V driver version 1.0.1.4 and NVM firmware version 1.45 from ASUS? This is the suggested driver so far we known from ASUS based from feedback. There are two folder inside ASUS Intel I225V_V1.0.1.4 which is something like this:

1. LAN Driver
  2. I225V_FW_UPDATE

NVM update file will be there inside I225V_FW_UPDATE. You may able to see The ASUS Intel I225V_V1.0.1.4 driver package at ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING DRIVER & TOOLS download page. You might want to check first with ASUS if you are able to use the driver.

"I also don't fine any EEE stuff in my settings. This is all:"

Sorry for the confusion, you may try to disable all power management from the network adapter and see if the issue persists.

Best regards,

Fariz_Intel

0 Kudos
Master_X
Beginner

Looks like the version installed is 1.1.3.34. Have you able to get Intel I225-V driver version 1.0.1.4 and NVM firmware version 1.45 from ASUS? This is the suggested driver so far we known from ASUS based from feedback. There are two folder inside ASUS Intel I225V_V1.0.1.4 which is something like this:

1. LAN Driver
  2. I225V_FW_UPDATE

I looked for exactly this right after I found out about this NVM update. This is all ASUS offeres for my B660. None of them have said folders. https://rog.asus.com/de/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b660-i-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_download/Screenshot_1.png

NVM update file will be there inside I225V_FW_UPDATE. You may able to see The ASUS Intel I225V_V1.0.1.4 driver package at ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING DRIVER & TOOLS download page. You might want to check first with ASUS if you are able to use the driver.

Are you really sure I should download that stuff for Z490 if I use a B660?

Sorry for the confusion, you may try to disable all power management from the network adapter and see if the issue persists.

Everything I see and I would disable is : selective energy saving and PME Power Management Event, right?

Thank you so far

0 Kudos
Master_X
Beginner

I just tried Z490 NVM Update and it tells me I try to downgrade and should use /dg for that.

Screenshot_1.png

Also I just disabled all energy related stuff without real change. Here are 2 speedtest results from my server computer and the new build:

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi Master_X,

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue but rest assure we will try our best to help.

You might need get consult with ASUS for recommended driver and NVM version for B660i as it seem like they have their own procedure/setting especially for NVM.

Meanwhile, we still have other workaround that you may try and see if it will help.

There is an official communication for this issue on Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V article (ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards environment) that suggest to try with Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack version 28.0.

official communication

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/621661

Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

You may found Complete Driver Pack version 28.0 at Intel® Ethernet Controller I225 download page as per link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/ethernet/gigabit-controllers/i225-controllers/downloads.html

Complete Driver Pack may also contain version 1.1.3.34 which you have already installed. So we suggest for below step:

1. Download the Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack version 28.0(large file).
  2. Go to Device Manager and find the I225 Controller.
  3. Uninstall all existing drivers.
  4. Power down pc and unplug power cord from PSU, leave it for few seconds.
  5. Turn pc back on and install Complete Driver Pack.
  6. You may repeat step 2 to 5 for 2 or 3 times in case issue still persists after first attempt.

Note:

You might notice in Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V article it mention that:

1. Before installing the intel I225-V driver, ensure that Intel I225-V is updated to the latest provided by the OEM via the firmware update tool.
  2. Install LAN driver 1.0.1.4.

If ASUS can verify if there is any LAN driver 1.0.1.4 and firmware update tool available for B660i it will be good for us since it's not listed on the webpage.

0 Kudos
Master_X
Beginner

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue but rest assure we will try our best to help.

You might need get consult with ASUS for recommended driver and NVM version for B660i as it seem like they have their own procedure/setting especially for NVM.

Thank you, I appreciate this. The ASUS support called me back and told me to clear my CMOS which I did. Then I had boot problems for over an hour but finally PC works again. No idea what this was. Problem did not change.

Second thought was to install drivers in a chipset first order (but I think I already did that). I normally install chipset first. If I remember correctly first was SerialIO then Intel Chipset driver and then ME driver. Do you think this can make a difference. I really don't think so.

Also I asked him about NVM and NVM update but he said he hears this first time. No additional information there.

Meanwhile, we still have other workaround that you may try and see if it will help.

There is an official communication for this issue on Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V article (ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards environment) that suggest to try with Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack version 28.0.

official communication

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/621661

Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

You may found Complete Driver Pack version 28.0 at Intel® Ethernet Controller I225 download page as per link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/ethernet/gigabit-controllers/i225-controllers/downloads.html

Complete Driver Pack may also contain version 1.1.3.34 which you have already installed. So we suggest for below step:

1. Download the Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack version 28.0(large file).
  2. Go to Device Manager and find the I225 Controller.
  3. Uninstall all existing drivers.
  4. Power down pc and unplug power cord from PSU, leave it for few seconds.
  5. Turn pc back on and install Complete Driver Pack.
  6. You may repeat step 2 to 5 for 2 or 3 times in case issue still persists after first attempt.

I looked through the PDF sheet. I cannot physically indentify the IC but it's a V3. Any other way to find it? I built a very complex mini ITX custom hardtube water cooled PC thats why I don't really want to take it apart again.

I read the second one already but since it seems there is no NVM update for me I cannot do it.

I also installed the Version 28 driver package but did it again with your step by step guide. I went to device manager (show hidden devices) and uninstalled the I225 ones with the checkbox endabled to remove diver. Then powered down and left it 10 minutes unplugged. As soon I start device manager shows I225 again. I wonder because during Windows install it did not recognize any network adapter. But anyway then I started autorun from the driver pack and clicked install driver and software. I came into a window where I can remove or change the installed one. Did you mean to remove this aswell? Problem still persist.

One short thing happened. I read to put the adapter manually into 1Gbit mode and just tried it. It only made a 100Mbit connection at this moment but after disable and enable it made the 1Gbit connection. Maybe a hint?

Note:

You might notice in Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V article it mention that:

1. Before installing the intel I225-V driver, ensure that Intel I225-V is updated to the latest provided by the OEM via the firmware update tool.
  2. Install LAN driver 1.0.1.4.

If ASUS can verify if there is any LAN driver 1.0.1.4 and firmware update tool available for B660i it will be good for us since it's not listed on the webpage.

I don't get what you mean with this. What should I ask them?

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi Master_X,

Thanks for your understanding.

"One short thing happened. I read to put the adapter manually into 1Gbit mode and just tried it. It only made a 100Mbit connection at this moment but after disable and enable it made the 1Gbit connection. Maybe a hint?"

• After doing that are you able to get speed connection above 100MB or it just showing 1Gbit connection?

"Thank you, I appreciate this. The ASUS support called me back and told me to clear my CMOS which I did. Then I had boot problems for over an hour but finally PC works again. No idea what this was. Problem did not change.

Second thought was to install drivers in a chipset first order (but I think I already did that). I normally install chipset first. If I remember correctly first was SerialIO then Intel Chipset driver and then ME driver. Do you think this can make a difference. I really don't think so."

• I guess perhaps they want to try refresh some of the driver/firmware on the B660i and it looks like the issue still persists.

"I looked through the PDF sheet. I cannot physically indentify the IC but it's a V3. Any other way to find it? I built a very complex mini ITX custom hardtube water cooled PC thats why I don't really want to take it apart again.

I read the second one already but since it seems there is no NVM update for me I cannot do it."

• The step provide in Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V article may a bit difficult to follow if NVM update is not available from OEM. The Intel I225 Firmware Update Tool Version 1.45 may contain update to V3.

• You can verify it on the Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V properties > on Details tab > Property: Hardware Ids > PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15F3&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_01: if it show REV_01 means this is V1.

"I also installed the Version 28 driver package but did it again with your step by step guide. I went to device manager (show hidden devices) and uninstalled the I225 ones with the checkbox endabled to remove diver. Then powered down and left it 10 minutes unplugged. As soon I start device manager shows I225 again. I wonder because during Windows install it did not recognize any network adapter. But anyway then I started autorun from the driver pack and clicked install driver and software. I came into a window where I can remove or change the installed one. Did you mean to remove this aswell? Problem still persist."

• Yes, if it still detect during the beginning of new installation you can remove it.

"Also I asked him about NVM and NVM update but he said he hears this first time. No additional information there."

• This is what I mean in the end below note previously. It's okay, noted on this.

Let me check with engineering team if there is any other option for this issue.

Meanwhile can you share with us what is your switch/router model that connect to the PC?

Best regards,

Fariz_Intel

0 Kudos
Master_X
Beginner

Let me check with engineering team if there is any other option for this issue.

Meanwhile can you share with us what is your switch/router model that connect to the PC?

Thank you. I am using a Fritzbox 6660 cable and a Qnap QSW-1105-5T. I also tried it without the switch and with a 1m cable into the 2.5G port of the Fritzbox.

• The step provide in Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V article may a bit difficult to follow if NVM update is not available from OEM. The Intel I225 Firmware Update Tool Version 1.45 may contain update to V3.

• You can verify it on the Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V properties > on Details tab > Property: Hardware Ids > PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15F3&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_01: if it show REV_01 means this is V1.

I got a REV_03/V3 one but I thought I need to check the IC for Intel MM number and Spec Code.

• After doing that are you able to get speed connection above 100MB or it just showing 1Gbit connection?

It only showed 1Gbit/s. Something in between I get. A LAN benchmark showed me around 600MBit/s to the server PC. No matter if I am on 1 or 2.5Gbit. Internet speedtest still the same. Most of the time Initially these 600Mbit/s but dropping down to 200 or less. Also no matter which speed the adapter is on.

0 Kudos
Master_X
Beginner

Hello again, did you guys find anything else? 

I have one update. I just noticed I am getting full internal 2.5Gbit bandwith to the server pc now. I think it must be something in the adapter settings or I am just lucky right now. I played very much around with all settings. But however the normal download speed over the internet is still around 200Mbit while the server is getting full 1100Mbit.

This means there must be a software issue somewhere as far my understanding goes. Hardware issue is out since it got to max speed.

0 Kudos
Fariz_Intel

Hi Master_X,

We are sorry for our late response. Regarding your inquiry we have some feedback from engineering team as per below:

1. "It tells me a failed cable integrity check and a bad connection at 225 meters."

The diagnostics test from Intel PROSET is not supported by I225, hence why the result is showing failure. If there is a need to measure bandwidth, you may utilize iperf software to do so.

1. Regarding the speed issue, the only option as for now is to keep below settings in the I225 driver and the switch/router that you are using.

Speed & Duplex = Auto Negotiation

Energy Efficiency Ethernet = OFF / Disable

If the issue still persists, please advise the customer to check with their OEM what is their current NVM version and update it to the latest version accordingly.

Since you mention unable to see EEE under Advanced property tab, are you able to see Power Saving Mode instead? We found some kind of example of this on other website as per below:

https://daanberg.net/en/kennisbank/disable-energy-efficient-ethernet-in-windows/

"I just noticed I am getting full internal 2.5Gbit bandwith to the server pc now."

If you are able find some kind of option to OFF/Disable Energy Efficiency Ethernet on the switch side maybe we can find something.

"I got a REV_03/V3 one but I thought I need to check the IC for Intel MM number and Spec Code."

Sorry for the misunderstanding as we thought the question is about REV_03. You can find some reference here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/kppyoi/psa_asus_motherboards_with_intel_i225v_25gb_nic/

"This means there must be a software issue somewhere as far my understanding goes. Hardware issue is out since it got to max speed."

We still continue to find the solution and there might be a new update coming from engineering team. We really appreciate your patience. You may find some news on tomshardware site that recently post: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-patches-stuttering-ethernet-issues-but-its-just-a-workaround-for-now

Best regards,

Fariz_Intel

0 Kudos
Master_X
Beginner

Holy schnikes, Intel I225/I226 LAN Driver V1.1.4.38 is available on ASUS download site for some days already. Just installed it. It fixed my problem. Nice ASUS/Intel thank you. I did not change any standard settings and no problem anymore.

0 Kudos
Fariz_Intel

Hi Master_X,

Glad to hear that. Can you help share with us what Windows version did you use that have no speed issue? We really appreciate your help. Thanks

Best regards,

Fariz_Intel

0 Kudos
Master_X
Beginner

My current version is 22H2 Build 19045.2673 

Hope this is what you wanted. 

0 Kudos
Fariz_Intel

Hi Master_X,

Thanks for the information. We really appreciate your help.

Yes its correct information, means the OS is Windows 10 22H2 Build 19045.2673 right?

As Intel is still continue to work towards finding a solution, we value and appreciate any feedback from the customer regarding this issue.

Since now it seems to be working fine for your system, we wish the best for you. Let us know if there is anything else that you might need from our side. Thanks.

Best regards,

Fariz_Intel

0 Kudos
Master_X
Beginner

Oh yeah of cause it is Windows 10.  

Also thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Fariz_Intel

Hi Master_X,

Thanks also for your help. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Fariz_Intel

0 Kudos