Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Static Link Aggregation Team disabled after activation

ETett
Beginner

I have a gigabyte X399 xtreme motherboard with two Intel I210 Gb networks cards on it and a netgear GS116E v2 switch with LAG for static link aggregation however when I create a LAG ID and select and enable the two ports connected to the motherboard and then go to device manager and create the team I immediately gets the third newly created the team connection icon in device manager its been disabled and I am unable to enable it without the error message saying that I need to go to general and enable it but there's no option to do that and general enable via right click menu under network connections has no effect. I've checked the drivers from the latest Intel website which are dated 10/10/2017, Version # 12.1 5.184.0 which are later then the official gigabytes drivers dated 02/08/2017, Version # 12.15.31.4 so i should be good there.

I'm really scratching my head as to why this is not working if anybody could point me in the right direction and really appreciate it?

I must point out that I'm on the new October Windows 10 update 1809 version but I did have this issue with the previous version also.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Optical10_Intel,

Thank you for posting in Intel Wired Ethernet Communities. Just want to clarify that the LAG is configured using the 2x I210 connections both integrated into the board, not PCIe slots. Please let us know if you have tried to use any other teaming modes. Is the issue only experienced in SLA?

Please attach the logs from the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- System Support Utility. We will use this to check the configurations. No personal information will be collected. The https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008490/software/software-applications.html FAQs have additional information about this utility.

• Download and run the .exe from the link above
  • Check "everything" then click "scan"
  • When scan is finished click "next"
  • Save the log and attach it to a post
If you have any questions please let us know.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
ETett
Beginner

Hi Daniel

Thanks for the speedy reply to my post.

Just to clarify yes I'm using 2 x i210 both integrated into the board and not using PCI express slots.

I've attached the logs from the system support utility, the first one is before enabling any team options or enabling LAG 's static link aggregation on my Netgear GS116E v2 switch, The second log is obviously with team option enabled and LA G static link aggregation enabled.

I've also attached screen grabs of other teaming mode is enabled because the issue is not only experienced in SLA as you can see various ethernet network connections are disabled as soon as any teaming modes are tried. The only one I didn't screen grab was adaptive link aggregation because my switch doesn't support that so that obviously failed when I tried.

PS. May I just say that the only other thing I can think of that may be related is that the Intel rapid storage technology service isn't being turned on automatically and when I do turn it on I get the unknown error occurred message so I wonder whether that's affecting this?

NO Teaming screen grabTEAM issue screen grab

Fault tolerance issue screen grab

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Optical10_Intel,

Thank you for the reply. We will take a look at this information and update you as soon as possible. If you have any questions please let us know.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Optical10_Intel,

Team configuration for Microsoft Windows*10 1809 (RS5) will be available in SW Release 23.5. This SW is expected in November of 2018.

For complete details, please refer to this /community/tech/wired/blog/2018/10/23/team-and-vlan-configuration-for-microsoft-windows-10-1809-rs5-and-microsoft-windows-server-2019-will-be-available-in-sw-release-234 blog post.

Best Regards,

Vince T.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee

Hello Optical10_Intel

Thank you for your patience while we address this issue. Software release 23.5 is now available. The following is a complete download package:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Ethernet-Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack?product=36773

Please install the PROSet Software and drivers. To create a Team use PowerShell. The following details commands for using PowerShell and setting up Teams:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023545/network-and-i-o.html

Let us know if you have any questions,

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee

Hello Optical10_Intel

Please let us know if the 23.5 driver resolves your teaming issue. If you have any questions please ask,

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
ETett
Beginner

Will do, just got to wait for MSI X399 motherboard to go for Windows 10 October update 1809 to warrant the use of these drivers and our report back then.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee

Hello ETett,

Thank you for the reply. Let us know if there are any issues after the new drivers are installed. Please let us know if any other questions arise.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
ETett
Beginner
Hi Daniel I installed the pro-set software and drivers but I'm struggling with the power shell method of setting up a team as the previous method was simply going into properties in Windows on each network card and going into the advanced tab and picking the list down to teaming, is there no chance that this option will be available in the near future? The pro- set adapter configuration in the Windows start menu is really just a mirror of the device manager options so that doesn't help also. It's just that I need more examples the ones giving in the support articles you linked in your original email as my switch is only a L AG static link aggregation and I don't seem to see the syntax option for setting that in the examples when I type help in power shell? Regards Emmanuel
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee

Hello ETett,

Thank you for updating us. Please confirm NET 2.0 is installed. The following is step by step instructions to create teams.

1. Open Windows Powershell as administrator.

2. Import the PROSet Powershell* module using this command: Import-Module -Name "

C:\Program

Files\Intel\Wired Networking\IntelNetCmdlets\IntelNetCmdlets"

3. Type "Get-IntelNetAdapter" to display the name of your network adapter.

4. Type "New-IntelNetTeam" to initiate the creation of a Team. You can also try inputting the command in a single line:

New-IntelNetTeam -TeamMemberNames "<Adapter1>", "<Adapter2>" -TeamMode StaticLinkAggregation -TeamName "<NewTeamName>"

5. PowerShell will prompt for more information to configure the Team. It is normal for it to hang 30 seconds to a minute, but let us know if PowerShell hangs longer or provides an error.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
ETett
Beginner
Hi Daniel Thank you for your detailed and helpful reply. However I'm having a problem with being able to implement L AG on my Netgear switch before I can implement teaming. I'm not able to communicate and see my switch because I think that the ethernet properties will not allow me to implement "Intel advanced network services protocol", when I try to apply it it says that I'm trying to disable it as you can see the screen grab above, is there an issue with these drivers or of I implemented another connection feature that's causing this problem please? Regards Emmanuel
0 Kudos
ETett
Beginner
hi Daniel I'm not sure what the issue is as power shell is reporting one or more of the ethernet adapters was not found it as you can clearly see on the screen grab attached image they are clearly visible in power shell with the "get-Intel net adapter" command above and also visible in the network properties control panel window I've included, any suggestions? I take it that if power shell works with the above screen grab commands that.net 2.0 isn't the issue because trying to install that brings all sorts of errors in Windows 10 Pro October update version 1809 release that this particular driver from Intel is for? Surely Windows with this release candidate already incorporates.net 2.0 or later? Also these drivers are reporting issues with my one of the cables that worked successfully with the previous drivers but just in case I have swapped out the cables I'm still getting the adapters were found issue, any ideas please? the other issue as reported previously in my reply to yourself was that I'm unable to activate "Intel advanced network services protocol"(see second attached image), when I try to apply it it says that I'm trying to disable it as you can see the screen grab above, is there an issue with these drivers or have I implemented another connection feature that's causing this problem please? Regards Emmanuel
0 Kudos
ETett
Beginner
hi Daniel I've now discovered hat teaming will not work in Windows 10 pro October update version 1809 that these proset drivers are supposed to solve is there is a known issue that Microsoft is trying to resolve as far back as the original release date in October 2018, see this link <https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lan-nic-teaming-windows-10-1809/5ff4604e-faef-423c-9535-80858d730b68> There was a Intel forums community article at this link <https://communities.intel.com/thread/129533>, but it seems to have been removed that also mentions the problem I'm having so as far as I'm concerned nothing has changed from my initial service request to have this issue solved unless you know differently? Regards Emmanuel
0 Kudos
ETett
Beginner
Hi Daniel I've just read This forum thread <https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004AxAJJSA3/windows-10-1809-i219-and-i211-nic-teaming-not-available> which you contributed to and realised my mistake was related to not removing PROset before upgrading to 1809 so that was why I was having all the issues creating the team. Anyway I'm going to wait until teaming is included with the configuration utility as stated at this Intel website <https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031823/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html?wapkw=23.5+release>, I just thought I would let you know that might be quite important for you to open your emails regarding this issue with the warning about removing process before you upgrade to the latest Windows version, hope you don't mind mentioning it as I've been scratching my head for the last two days as to why this didn't work? Regards Emmanuel
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee

Hello ETett,

Thank you for the reply. Currently some users of PROSet 23.5 are experiencing hanging or errors when using PowerShell to create Teams. We are still investigating this issue, and will post it in the following thread when available:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P000049EIPH/235-ans-teaming-powershell-cmdlet-hanging?

I will check and see if there is an estimated time of arrival for Teaming with PROSet adapter configuration utility.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee

Hello ETett,

Thank you for waiting. We do not have an estimated time when VLAN and Team support will be added to PROSet Configuration Utility. I did not see the previous screenshot in the post. Would you be able to post the screenshot of the error using PowerShell to create VLANs using the method we mentioned earlier? We want to check the error that is preventing you from creating VLANs. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
ETett
Beginner

Hi Daniel, thank you for your reply.

I was getting the "one or more of the specified adapters was not found" error message but as you can see they were both seen above with the "Get-Intel net adapter" command line. Anyway here's a screenshot.

I do think though I didn't help my case by not removing PROSet in the previous build of Windows 10 pro build 1803 before installing the new version on this build 1809. As I said I have now reverted back to 1803 and will wait until the new PROSet Configuration Utility includes VLAN and Team support before trying again on 1809.power shell not finding1 ethernet error.jpg

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee

Hello ETett,

Thank you for the information. If you would be interested in upgrading to 1809 and trying the PowerShell command again at some point, there is a mistake in the commands you entered from the screenshot. Correcting the mistake may result in working teams on 23.5. Notice the Team members should be the name as it is displayed under the "Get-IntelNetAdapter" command. In this case it would be "Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection". If you still encounter an error and hanging in PowerShell it may be caused by another issue. Currently the solution to resolve the hanging and error encountered in PowerShell when setting Teams is a fresh installation of Windows 10 1809. Since this is not an option for some users we are working on a solution with less impact on the system. Please continue to follow this thread for updates:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P000049EIPH/235-ans-teaming-powershell-cmdlet-hanging?

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
HarelZar
Beginner

Hi 

i reinstall my system with Windows 11 21H2 build22000.348

using intel drivers 25.5 from here:https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/30080/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html 

when using the IntelPROSet to configure a "Static Link Aggregation Team" the team is always disable and i can not enable it to create Vlans

the card is "Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4"

i try other driver 26-26.3 but its the same team is always disable.

Regards Harel

0 Kudos