Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5032 Discussions

Supported C-States with Intel Ethernet products

Bartman
Beginner

I'm looking for a some what power efficient ethernet for home lab server.

I already tried Mellanox ConnectX-3, Asus XG-C100F, Broadcom P225P. Besides their own power consumption these chips prevent deeper C-States and there fore boosting idle power consumption from 10 Watt to about 30 Watt.

I found some posts the Intel X710 Cards allow deeper sleep states and having relativly low power consumptions themselves. Unfortunatly even used cards are relativ expansive.

I already bought a E810-XXVDA2 I cannot get to work in the intended system.PC freezes after BIOS with Intel E810-XXVDA2 As I can touch the heat sink of the E810 I guess the idle power consumption is not too high. The smaller heat sink of P225P was too hot to touch even without any cables connected.

I am basicly evaluating my options:

1. Buy a used X710 Card and hope it works in the system
  2. Try to get Lenovo investigate the issue
  3. Try other cards
  4. Give up on fast ethernet. The Intel 225 Chips also prevents deeper sleepstates but "only" increase idle power by 50% to 15W. Has this been fixed in 226 Series.

Can you confirm the sleep states of X710 and E810 cards? Particular the dual port ones.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Fariz_Intel
Employee

Hi Bartman,

Regarding your inquiry about sleep states for both X710 and E810 cards, the E810-XXVDA2 product brief does mention a feature of Power Management that supports PCI power management states D3hot and D3cold. D3 is the lowest-powered device low-power state. On the other hand, the Intel X710-T2L supports Energy Efficient Ethernet to efficiently reduce power consumption during periods of low data activity, as per its product brief. Please let us know if this information is helpful for your inquiry.

Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter E810-XXVDA2 (see the Product Brief)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/189760/intel-ethernet-network-adapter-e810xxvda2/specifications.html

Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter X710-T2L (see the Product Brief)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/189463/intel-ethernet-network-adapter-x710t2l/specifications.html

However, it is recommended to consult with Lenovo to verify whether both X710 and E810 cards will work with their system. If you have one of these cards in hand, you can check if the card is using the latest firmware version and if the Lenovo system is also updated to the latest version.

If you are using the Intel Retail card version, you can refer to the link below for the Intel Ethernet NVM Update Tool to help update the firmware if you have not yet done so. However, if you are using an OEM Ethernet card version, it's advisable to consult with the OEM on how to update the firmware. Please be aware that updating the firmware could potentially cause damage to the card if the wrong firmware is applied. The latest version recently released for the NVM Update Utility is 4.30.

NVM Update Utility for Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter E810 Series version 4.30

The package includes files for Windows, Linux and EFI.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19624/non-volatile-memory-nvm-update-utility-for-intel-ethernet-network-adapter-e810-series.html

That being said, if you still have issues after updating to the latest version, you can check if there are any errors during the post (Power-On Self-Test) or you can also send a report to Lenovo. This is because we might not have enough information about the Lenovo system to provide a precise solution.

If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Fariz_Intel

0 Kudos
Fariz_Intel
Employee

Hi Bartman,

If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Fariz_Intel

0 Kudos
Fariz_Intel
Employee

Hi Bartman,

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Fariz_Intel

0 Kudos