Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Tagged VLAN and Untagged V1 on the Same NIC

SStal1
Beginner

Hello everybody,

I use PROSet to set VLANs. However, if I set a VLAN ID, I can no longer use the untagged port. The TCP / IP protocol on the adapter is deactivated. However, when I use virtual machines, the problem is gone. Is that the intention or do I have an understanding problem here?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SStal1,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

It is normal for the TCP/IP to be deactivated on the adapter once the virtual adapter (VLAN) has been created. As an alternative, you can create another VLAN (untagged) on the same NIC to communicate with other network.

Let us know if you have additional questions and clarification.

We look forward to your reply.

In case we don't hear from you, we'll follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SStal1
Beginner

Hello and thank you for your message. I am a little surprised because other operating systems allow tagged VLAN and standard untagged port to be used at the same time. I use a VM on my laboratory WIN10-Pro workstation. FreeBSD is currently running on the virtual machine and even then both networks are transported through the Windows network cards. Windows does not show an IP but the network is looped through without without Windows being able to see it.

Unbenannt-1.gifBildschirmfoto 2020-02-25 um 08.35.36.pngBildschirmfoto 2020-02-25 um 08.35.30.png

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SStal1,

You are welcome.

Based on your statement 'I am a little surprised because other operating systems allow tagged VLAN and standard untagged port to be used at the same time.', can you share what are those Operating systems? As well as the model of the NIC and its driver version? This would help us in further checking your query.

Please also provide the version of the PROSet used.

We look forward to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, we'll follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SStal1
Beginner

Hello and thank you for your answer.

I transferred my laboratory to the server. Everything is going as desired, thank you.

My laboratory computer had the HP Enterprise NIC 366T with the I350 chipset. All software modules were up to date. The other operating systems that support VLAN and standard network are Mac OS Catalina and FreeBSD 11.2.

My server, which has been in operation since yesterday, is an HPE DL360P Gen8 with 2 NICs I350 (8 Ports). I built an enterprise firewall for our school. Now everything is going as intended.

Best wishes

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SStal1,

Thank you for the update.

We are glad to hear that everything is working as intended. With this, please be informed that we will now close this request. In case you have any other assistance needed in the future, please do not hesitate to post a new question

May you have an enjoyable weekend!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos