Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4852 Discussions

Teamed NIC's result in Warning - Received ARP request collision from 192.168.30.12/001b.2182.23c1 on interface inside

idata
Employee

I have two Intel Pro NIC in teaming mode.

When that machine accesses the internet I get recorded:-

Received ARP request collision from 192.168.30.12/001b.2182.23c1 on interface inside on the Cisco.

I think it is becuase it picks up the MAC's from the NIC but the same i address.

Is there a cofigeration change I need to make on the teaming NIC's to stop this from happening? Or is there an adjustment I need to make on the CIISCO

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

What teaming mode are you using?

How many of which adapters or network connections are members of the team?

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

2 adaptors in the team in Adaptive Load Balance mode.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

In Adaptive Load Balancing (ALB) teams, Receive Load Balancing (RLB) is enabled by default. The ANS driver uses ARP to direct incoming communications to a particular port in the team. However, if the communications are across a router, then this method breaks down since ARP requests are not passed across the router.

If you are primarily communicating with hosts on the Internet (or across any router), RLB will not work. I am guessing that the messages you see in the router might be because of our ANS driver's attempt to perform the receive load balancing.

Try performing these steps to disable RLB on your team to see if the messages go away:

1. In Windows Device Manager opent the team's properties.

2. Go the Advanced tab

3. Scroll down the list to the Receive Load Balancing setting and set the value to Disabled.

Check out this Whitepaper, http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/resources/doc_library/white_papers/254031.pdf Intel® Advanced Network Services Software Increases Network Reliability, Resilience and Bandwidth, for a description of how ALB and RLB teaming modes work.

I hope this helps.

Mark H

0 Kudos