Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Teaming X550-T2 with RN528X NAS via XS716E with StaticLinkAggregation degrades performance significantly - why?

JKirk8
Beginner

Trying to maximize pipe between my XPS8900 i7 and NAS, using 2-link aggregation. Setup: Windows 10 Home 1809, latest X550-T2 v24.1 drivers w/ ProSet tools. Teamed the X550-T2 dual NIC using PowerShell (choosing StaticLinkAggregation), performed "bonding" of RN528X NAS 10Gb Ethernets (using Round Robin), and set up 2 static link aggregation pairs with the XS716E (ports 1&2 make 1st pair, ports 7&8 make 2nd pair). Jumbo Packet enabled on both X550-T2 instances (value 9014), also set MTU=9014 on RN528X. WIth this config, running ATTO I'm only reading a max of 400 MB/s. If I simply delete the teaming virtual adapter (e.g., go back to just having 2 individual 10Gb NIC ports on the X550-T2), ATTO reads jump up to 1 GB/s where they should be. Does anyone know why enabling teaming (specifically, StaticLinkAggregation option) causes performance to degrade so much? Write speeds don't vary much, it's hitting only the read speeds.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JKirk8,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. We will check your query and get back to you as soon as there is any findings.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JKirk8,

Good day!

Please download the System Support Utility SSU log from the Windows 10 system where the X550-T2 were installed. This can give us an additional information on the settings of the card that can aid our investigation. 

1- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

2- Open SSU.exe

3- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

4- When finished scanning, click "Next".

5- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JKirk8
Beginner

​SSU file attached per your request.

0 Kudos
JKirk8
Beginner

​Here are the exact PowerShell commands I ran to create the Static Link Aggregation for the X550-T2. I did not specify "primary adapter" nor "secondary adapter". Please advise if this is required, and if so, the exact syntax needed to execute those commands.

0 Kudos
JKirk8
Beginner

​PowerShell commands attached.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JKirk8,

Thank you for the reply. Please give us time to further check on your query. We will give you an update on Thursday, July 18.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JKirk8,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Please refer to the command below to set primary and secondary adapter in a team using Powershell. For more detail information, you can run get-help set-IntelNetTeam -detailed

Set-IntelNetTeam -TeamName "StaticLAG" -TeamMode StaticLinkAggregation -PrimaryAdapterName "Adapter" -SecondaryAdapterName "Adapter"

You may also try increasing the receive buffers from 512 to higher value and check if the read performance would improve. The maximum is 4096. However, we would suggest to also get in touch with Netgear since this involved performance to the NAS.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JKirk8,

We'd like to check if you were able to try our recommendation from above post? Please let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter.

Awaiting to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JKirk8,

Please let us know if you have any other assistance needed for this matter.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JKirk8
Beginner

Hi, I tried both of your suggestions (assign primary and secondary adapters, increase read buffer size to max), they did not improve the transfer speeds.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello JKirk8,

I am sorry to hear that. By the way, one of our recommendation aside from the one that you tried is to also check this issue with Netgear since this involved performance to the NAS. Have you tried contacting them about this issue?

If you have questions please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JKirk8,

We'd like to check if you have contacted Netgear on this matter? If you have additional questions and clarifications, please let us know.

We look forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JKirk8,

Please be informed that we will now close this inquiry since we haven't receive any response on our previous follow up. If you have any other concern or additional questions, kindly post a new question.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos