Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Teaming with Intel Proset

Vane
Novice

Hi,

I created a team:

TeamName : TEAM: Intel&ASIX
TeamMembers : {Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V, ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter}
TeamMode : IEEE802_3adDynamicLinkAggregation
PrimaryAdapter : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
SecondaryAdapter : ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Windows sees the team as 2.0 Gbps but the actual speed is still (slightly) under 1 Gbps.

The switch used to connect the PC to the network shows:

Port: Gi1/0/6 the port that connects the non-Intel adapter seems to be mostly transmitting
Tx Pkts: 593,572
Tx Bytes: 678,120,590
Rx Pkts: 27,138
Rx Bytes: 8,274,988

Port: Gi1/0/7 the port that connects the Intel adapter seems to be mostly receiving
Tx Pkts: 13,661
Tx Bytes: 1,752,028
Rx Pkts: 160,636
Rx Bytes: 39,756,900

0 Kudos
51 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Vane,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

We are sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing with your network adapter.

To better assist you, we need to get some logs from your system. It will tell us the different driver version and components installed on your system. We would like to ask your help to provide System Support Utility Logs (SSU) from your system. You may download the software from this page, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91600/Intel-System-Support-Utility. Please download the software which is applicable to the Operating system that you are running on your system. Once you have downloaded it, kindly run it and you will have the option to save the logs to a text file. Please attach the text file on your reply to this email.

1. May we know if your setup was working fine before without any issues?

2. Please let us know on the steps that you did to make the teaming?

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Vane
Novice

Hi,

Please attach the text file on your reply to this email. -- see attached

1. May we know if your setup was working fine before without any issues? -- this is how it came out i.e. 1 Gbps not 2 Gbps.

2. Please let us know on the steps that you did to make the teaming? -- EXACTLY the steps depicted in the PROSet documentation and here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032008/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Vane,

We appreciate the quick response.

Thank you for giving us more context on the issue that you are having.

When teaming between an Intel® Ethernet Controller and a 3rd party adapter does not work properly, here are our usual suggestions:

·      Make sure drivers are up to date on the adapters.

·      In some cases, the adapters require the same make, model, and firmware.

·      Contact the manufacturer of the adapter and see if their product supports teaming with other manufacturers.

·      Verify that the team policy that is being used. A simple (Port ID–based) policy may help to avoid any compatibility issues. Try different teaming policies to find one that works.

You may refer to this page for more information, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032008/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Vane
Novice

So, everything looks fine, was done by the book, the nonIntel adapter is compatible (otherwise it won't be "selectable" according to docs) ... it's just not working! Correct?

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Vane,

Thank you for confirming our answer.

You have a very good point and question. To answer your question, since you were able to team the Intel adapter and the Asix USB ethernet adapter, that means you did the procedure correctly and more or less the USB adapter is compatible only with teaming. However, in order for the functionality that you expect to work, the Asix USB Adapter needs to support Link Aggregation, as this is the teaming feature that allows for the bandwidth to increase when two adapters are teamed together.

You may need to confirm if the USB ethernet adapter supports Link aggregation through the manufacturer of the USB adapter.

For more information about the different teaming features and types, you may refer to this page, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005667/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days to check if you have already coordinated with the Asix.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Vane,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to assess the answers that we have provided.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Vane
Novice

Hi Alfredo,

Actually Asix support told me clearly their adapter supports no LAG. Not even static.
So I'll just get another Intel PCIe adapter and try my luck with it.
Current setup/Team is just a strange thing, one sends, the other receives, no way to go above 1Gbps.

Thank you and see you around,

Vane

0 Kudos
Vane
Novice

In the meantime I have replaced ASIX with DELL.

Get-IntelNetTeam

TeamName : TEAM: InDell
TeamMembers : {Dell GigabitEthernet, Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V}
TeamMode : IEEE802_3adDynamicLinkAggregation
SecondaryAdapter : Dell GigabitEthernet

Port: Gi1/0/6 Dell Sends
Tx Pkts: 453,060
Tx Bytes: 604,990,827
Rx Pkts: 5,916
Rx Bytes: 1,418,250
Port: Gi1/0/7 Intel Receives
Tx Pkts: 2,856
Tx Bytes: 583,897
Rx Pkts: 395,557
Rx Bytes: 332,697,495

Same thing. One sends the other receives. Is this the expected case?

0 Kudos
Vane
Novice

One more thing, ladies and gents:

SecondaryAdapter :What PCIe Intel card shall I put here to have a working Team/LAG?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Vane,

Thank you asking us and making sure what Intel® Adapters have the link aggregation feature.

Please allow us some time to check and generate a list for you.

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Vane,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

While we were checking, we noticed that the INTEL PRO/1000 CT only has inbox drivers for Windows 10, so it does not support Teaming, not to mention link aggregation.

If you are flexible in getting an I210-T1, which has Intel drivers and can achieve link aggregation teaming with an i219-v built-in adapter.

You may refer to this page for a list of adapter that has Intel driver on Windows 10 https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

0 Kudos
Vane
Novice

That's exactly what happened. Intel PROSet doesn't even see it.

I have to buy an I210-T1 although that is an expensive server adapter. Are you sure it will work with an Z270 MoBo? Workstation ...PC... not server.

And, what PCIe slot does it need? Speed & Slot Width 2.5 GT/s, x1 Lane seems to indicate PCIe x 1 but I'd like to be sure about. I only have that PCIe x 1 slot available. For PCIe x 4 I need to change a lot of things.

Please try to answer a little bit faster than last time if possible.  I have to return one board, order the other, you know...

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Vane,

Thank you for confirming if the i210-T1 will work with your system.

If your system supports PCI-E 2.1 and has an open x1 port then it should work on the board that you are using. To be a hundred percent sure, you may try to coordinate with the motherboard company, to confirm if they have no compatibility issues with the network card.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Vane
Novice
Hi,

"coordinate with the motherboard company"?

That is ASUS. I.e. one of the worst. Their support is almost ridiculous. Not absolutely incompetent, like Gigabyte's, but still ridiculous.

I'll just buy, test and post the outcome here. To whom it may concern.

Ser you!
0 Kudos
Vane
Novice
BTW:
《MultiVendorTeaming - Adds the capability to include adapters from selected other vendors in a team.》
What other vendors? TP-Link? Realtek?
Please suggest other vendors/chipsets I may try with. With some chance I mean.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Vane,

Thank you for your reply and for the feedback that you have provided.

We are sorry to hear about your experience with other support teams.

You may address the outcome to us, as we would like to make sure that we have fully answered your question.

Like what happened with your Asix adapter, you can put cards from another vendor into a team; the problem is if it will support Link aggregation, which is the feature you are after.

We will check back with you after five business days to see if you have already bought a card or if you need more time.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Vane
Novice

Hi,

Newer messages (to and from Intel Customer Support <supportreplies@intel.com>) do not appear here.

Is it normal?

Vane

Sent: Friday, March 19, 2021 18:11
To: 'Intel Customer Support' <supportreplies@intel.com>
Subject: RE: Intel Customer Support - Case #: 04971101

Hi,

Please see below. Doesn’t work very well. I ran multiple tests, opened more transfer sessions to different addresses, local and Internet but can’t get 2Gbps. Not even close.

Vane

TeamName         : TEAM: Intel® ANS

TeamMembers      : {Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1, Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V}

TeamMode         : IEEE802_3adDynamicLinkAggregation

PrimaryAdapter   : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V

SecondaryAdapter : Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1

TeamName: Intel® ANS

DisplayName            DisplayValue    RegistryKeyword         RegistryValue

-----------            ------------    ---------------         -------------

Load Balance Refres... 10              BalanceInterval         10

Check Time (in mill... 1000            CheckTime               1000

Locally Administere...                 UserSelectedAddress

Location        Name                                                           ConnectionName            LinkStatus

--------        ----                                                           --------------            ----------

0:31:6:0        TEAM: Intel® ANS - Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V                               1.00 Gbps ...

7:0:0:0         TEAM: Intel® ANS - Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1                              1.00 Gbps ...

Name                      InterfaceDescription                    ifIndex Status       MacAddress             LinkSpeed

----                      --------------------                    ------- ------       ----------             ---------

Intel(R) Ethernet Conn... TEAM: Intel® ANS - Intel(R) Ethernet...      10 Up           60-45-CB-A8-78-C1         1 Gbps

Intel(R) Ethernet Ser...1 TEAM: Intel® ANS - Intel(R) Ethernet...       8 Up           60-45-CB-A8-78-C1         1 Gbps

Intel® ANS                TEAM: Intel® ANS                             25 Up           60-45-CB-A8-78-C1         2 Gbps

0 Kudos
Vane
Novice
0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Vane,

Thank you for your response.

We are sorry to know that you are still not able to achieve the speed that you were expecting.

Based on the link speed of the team that you created, it linked at 2Gbps speed. Due to that reason, you may just need to fine-tune it to achieve the speed the maximum speed or close to maximum speed.

Please follow the suggestions on this guide https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005811/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html.

Kindly let me know if this didn’t work so we can further check.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Vane
Novice
Hi,

I know and followed that doc. But the problem is not with de individual boards .
The problem is with the Team. Is there a document about tuning the Team?

Thank you,
Vane
0 Kudos