Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Teaming with Windows 10 1809 - "Teaming" tab does not show up in device manager, group is disabled when adding a team via powershell

SZoll
Beginner

I own a ASRock Z390 Taichi mainboard which has two Gigabit-adapters included (Intel I219V + Intel I211), so i tried to configure them as a team for link aggregation (switch is capable of link aggregation).

I found the intel page about teaming with ANS (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005667/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html) where I did not found those two network adapters supported.

So I bought two Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapters as they are written as supported adapters, installed them on my computer, still no "Teaming" tabs for none of my (now) four Intel network adapters.

I did some more research and found a thread where it is said that currently those "Teaming" tabs are not available, but power shell works.

I created teams with all four adapters (static aggregation), with only the two onboard adapters, with one onboard and one CT Desktop adapter, i was not able to activate one of those teams (of course there has been only one at a time). Each of the teams has been shown as "disabled", the included adapters are shown as (device name) "Group: TEAMNAME - ADAPTER NAME".

When I want to enable the team (which is shown as an additional network adapter), Windows says "Activating" - "Activated", in network connection it is still shown as disabled.

Using a network connection that is included in the disabled team does not work, no ethernet connection available (of course I've set IP settings for the team adapter), i have to use an adapter that is not in the team.

What's wrong with the teaming?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Mike_Intel
Hello SZoll, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Upon checking, Intel® Gigabit CT does not include Intel® PROSet for Windows* Device Manager and Intel® Advanced Network Services (Intel® ANS) driver for teaming and VLANS for Windows 10. Please open the link below for reference: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020905/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SZoll
Beginner

Hello,

so the page about teaming ( https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005667/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html ) has incomplete information, so buying the CT Desktop adapters was senseless.

What about my onboard adapters I211-V and I219-V? They aren't listed.

How can I make link aggregation work with Windows 10 1809?

0 Kudos
Zak84
Beginner

I have the same proble with the latest driver 23.5.2 after the update to Windows 10 1809. I have two I210 on the motherboard Asus P9X79-E WS.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello SZoll, Thank you for the feedback on the link about intel® Gigabit CT adapter. We will look into improving this link. Regarding your I211-AT and I219-V, as per Asrock's website, it does support "Support DUAL LAN with Teaming" Here is the link: https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390%20Taichi/index.asp#Specification if you already tried to create the team using PROSet Powershell and encountered error. Please try the following steps to resolve this issue. 1. Remove all drivers and PROSet Software 2. Disable Devices (I211 and I219) 3. Cold boot the system (power off and then back on completely) 4. If devices are still disabled, enable it. 5. Install 23.5.2 SW 6. Try to create TEAM again using Powershell, please refer to details below: Type Get-IntelNetAdapter to display the names of your network adapters. Type New-IntelNetTeam to create the desired teaming configuration. It will prompt for Team member names, Team mode and Team name. For Team member name, use the names of I211 and I219 displayed in the Get-IntelNetAdapter command. For Team mode, input one of the teaming configuration based on type of Link Aggregation used in your network. StaticLinkAggregation IEEE802_3adDynamicLinkAggregation If the above steps didn't resolve you issue, kindly remove the drivers of I211 and I219 and 23.5.2 SW then use 23.4 SW https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28415/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 Hello Zak84, Please try the following steps. 1. Remove all drivers and PROSet Software 2. Disable Devices (I211 and I219) 3. Cold boot the system (power off and then back on completely) 4. If devices are still disabled, enable it. 5. Install 23.5.2 SW 6. Try to create TEAM again using Powershell, please refer to details below: Type Get-IntelNetAdapter to display the names of your network adapters. Type New-IntelNetTeam to create the desired teaming configuration. It will prompt for Team member names, Team mode and Team name. For Team member name, use the names of the network adapters displayed in the Get-IntelNetAdapter command. For Team mode, input one of the teaming configuration based on setup AdapterFaultTolerance AdaptiveLoadBalancing StaticLinkAggregation IEEE802_3adDynamicLinkAggregation SwitchFaultTolerance VirtualMachineLoadBalancing If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Zak84
Beginner

Hi Michael. I've just tried with the powershell but doesn't work. The powershell remain with the cursor blinking and doesn't complete the creation of the team.

0 Kudos
SZoll
Beginner

Hello Michael,

i was able to fulfill your steps, after driver installation I was even able to see grouping settings in the preferences of the I211-adapter in device manager, but not for the I219.

Before, I removed the CT Desktop adapters from the PC, also physically.

After I went through your steps, I was able to create a team, but I end in the same issue. The team adapter is shown as "disabled" in network connections and I am not able to activate it, so the connection is not working...

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello SZoll & Zak84, While waiting for the new SW release, you can consider rolling back to 1803 or doing a fresh install of 1809. A fresh installation of Windows 10 1809 does not seem to encounter the same issue after running the CMDLet. If you were able to try this out, this may resolve the issue. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SZoll
Beginner

Dear Crisselle,

first- thanks for you answer :)

My windows installation was a clean installation of Windows 10 1809, the PC is just a few weeks old.

Is there a (approx) timeline for the new software release?

For Windows 10 1903 I could imagine to do a clean install again, for 1809, there are too many (Microsoft side) issues

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello SZoll, As of the moment, I am sorry to inform you that there is no timeline or estimated date on the release of the new software. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello SZoll, Just want to check if you have additional questions or clarifications. If you do, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello SZoll, Please tell us if you have clarifications regarding this issue. If you do, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos