Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Three X710 cards, one Supermicro H12SSW-iN motherboard: Network cards "disappear".

shuber
Beginner

Hi all,

on a SuperMicro H12SSW-iN EPYC motherboard, when plugging in a X710-T4 in the left PCIe 4.0 riser and two X710-DA4 in the right PCIe 4.0 riser, the X710-T4 is never recognized. Even in the BIOS, the PCIe card will not show up.

So far, we've tried updating the motherboard EFI firmware ("BIOS") to v2.3 (without success), upgrading the firmware of the X710 network cards to 8.5.67516 API 1.15 (without success). As soon as we unplug any one of the network cards, the others are found immediately. We also have the issue sometimes (?) when using a X710-DA2 instead of X710-DA4.

Does anyone have a similar issue and / or a solution for that? Any pointer is very appreciated.

live long and prosper,

shuber

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello shuber,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Is this a brand new setup?
  2. Can you provide photos of the Ethernet cards on both sides for to validate them and confirm that they are not an OEM units?
  3. Are you also having this issue on a different board?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
shuber
Beginner

Hi @Mike_Intel ,

1. Is this a brand new setup?
    This is the first time we used this exact hardware configuration. We have built several Servers with this Mainboard and those Network cards, though, but have not found the error beforehand.
  2. Can you provide photos of the Ethernet cards on both sides for to validate them and confirm that they are not an OEM units?
    Right now, I can not provide photos of the network cards. But I can assure you that they are original intel network cards of type X710-T4L and X710-DA2 type with the "original intel hardware" sticker on it. I might be able to get the serial numbers if you really need them.
  3. Are you also having this issue on a different board?
    Up to now, we have not tried this setup on any other motherboards. When contacting SuperMicro about this issue, they stated that they had tried to contact intel for debugging, but without success or mutual debugging.

The following new information came up, though:

The X710-T4 network card disappears only after a warm boot, i.e. rebooting the operating system. A cold reboot (or complete power disconnect) makes the network card available until the next warm reboot.

Also, disabling legacy firmware in the BIOS seems to reduce the propability of this happening to <1. Maybe there is something wrong with the PXE / legacy firmware?

Regards,

Stefan Huber

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello shuber,

Thank you for the quick reply. Regarding the information that you provided, let me gather and ask the following details for us to further investigate the issue.

1. Can you provide the SSU logs of the system? Aside from checking the system, we will also try to gather the markings of the cards here: Please check the download links below for the SSU.
  2. You may try the cards on a different board. This is to isolate the that cards as functioning properly. If the cards are confirmed working on a different board. We may be having a compatibility issue with the board or BIOS.
  3. Regarding your question about the PXE/legacy firmware. We will further check this once we verify everything. Once we have all the details of the card and configuration.

Please download the SSU here:

For Windows:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?wapkw=ssu

For Linux:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?wapkw=ssu

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
shuber
Beginner

Hello,

1. Can you provide the SSU logs of the system? Aside from checking the system, we will also try to gather the markings of the cards here: Please check the download links below for the SSU.
  2. You may try the cards on a different board. This is to isolate the that cards as functioning properly. If the cards are confirmed working on a different board. We may be having a compatibility issue with the board or BIOS.
  3. Regarding your question about the PXE/legacy firmware. We will further check this once we verify everything. Once we have all the details of the card and configuration.
  1. We try to get that working for your debugging, yes. But right now we have neither a Windows available on the machine nor a Linux where we can simply drop-in stuff.
  2. All Network Cards work perfectly fine in any other slot (when alone) or in another Mainboard (even if fully populated).

Regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello shuber,

Good day!

This is just a follow up message to check if you read our previous reply. If yes, please confirm and provide the information requested for us to continue checking your query. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello shuber,

Thank you for the reply. 

Before we check this request with our engineers, can you please share the Operating System you used? You also mentioned that you contacted SuperMicro, we hope you don't mind sharing if you have a ticket or reference number from them?

Since you also stated that all Network Cards work perfectly fine in any other slot (when alone) or in another Mainboard (even if fully populated), this might be an isolated issue with Supermicro H12SSW-iN motherboard and might be best to contact SuperMicro again. But don't worry as we will still try our best effort support on this query.

Will you also be able to share the model of the "another Mainboard" you mentioned? We will forward all this information to our engineering team for further investigation. 

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

We will reach out after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
shuber
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

The operating system is a highly customized CentOS with custom kernel and modules to work with DPDK with the intel network cards.

Regarding SuperMicro: I don't have a Ticket ID with them, since communication with them works via our build partner, and I don't have any personal contact with them.

I tested a fully populated AsRock Rack EPC621D8A with five X710-T4, and it pretty much bootet properly every time. We don't have access to another AMD Processor board for testing.

Thank you for your time and kind regards,

shuber

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello shuber,

Appreciate your swift response.

Please allow us to further investigate your query. We will get back to you as soon as there is any findings but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello shuber,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please see below feedback from our higher level support. 

It is best to contact Supermicro because the card does work when installed one at a time. Possible that there is a resource conflict on the serverboard that your system manufacturer can only provide assistance. As much as we want to assist you, unfortunately, we have limited support as the Ethernet Adapters functionality also depends on the motherboard's full validation, BIOS dependability and reliability.

Supermicro Services and Support

https://www.supermicro.com/en/support

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
shuber
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

thank you and the "higher level support" for your assistance.

I will try to contact supermicro again on this matter, and I will also try to update this post. Maybe it will help others.

Regards,

shuber

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello shuber,

You're most welcome. Appreciate your swift response. 

Yes, please. Feel free to update this thread as it will indeed help other users having the same issue. 

Please also advise if we can now close this request on our end. In case you have additional questions or clarifications, please let us know and we will be glad to check on it. 

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello shuber,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just checking if you still have clarifications and if we can close the issue now here on our end.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello shuber,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending another follow up to check if we can now close the case since you are now going to talk to SuperMicro. Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos