Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Trouble with lots of multicast inputs

Meuuh
Beginner

Hi,

I have acquired from fs.com an X710-BM2 card for my Supermicro server, and I have upgraded both firmware and driver to the latest version:

driver: i40e
version: 2.15.9
firmware-version: 8.30 0x8000a4d3 255.65535.255
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:81:00.1
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

I have created 64 VFs that I pass through to VMs using VT-d, and they receive a lot of different multicast addresses. All VFs are trusted, and spoof check is disabled. I have also enabled true promiscuous support using the private flag. On the VM side, all interfaces are +promisc and +allmulti.

On each VM I can subscribe to ~11 multicast addresses. After that, the VM (running Linux and iavf) complains: iavf 0000:00:11.0: Failed to add MAC filter, error IAVF_ERR_NVM

And at the same time on the host:

i40e 0000:81:00.1: Cannot add more MAC addresses, trusted VF exhausted it's resources
i40e 0000:81:00.1: VF 30 failed opcode 10, retval: -1

Which is not a problem per se, because I have enabled allmulticast on the interface, and I have true promiscuous mode, so even if the MAC filter is not set up I still receive the multicast address. But after 10 such errors, the host prints:

i40e 0000:81:00.1: Number of invalid messages exceeded for VF 30
i40e 0000:81:00.1: Use PF Control I/F to enable the VF

Which now is a problem, because the VF cannot be modified anymore from the host, and you can't for instance add a new VLAN to the VF.

After digging in the source code, on the host side I could change I40E_DEFAULT_NUM_INVALID_MSGS_ALLOWED (default 10) to something arbitrarily high, but it requires recompiling. Is this error legit for a trusted VF?

On the guest side, I don't understand why iavf sets a filter on multicast MACs when the interface is in allmulticast mode. Not doing it wouldn't change a thing, and wouldn't cause the error.

Is it a bug? Do you have a better solution?

Best regards

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Meuuh,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check and investigate the issue, please provide the following details.

1. What is the exact issue or problem, kindly provide the summary of the issue?
  2. Can you provide a screenshot of the problem?
  3. Please help generate the SSU logs, kindly download the utility on the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-the-Linux-Operating-System?wapkw=ssu

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Meuuh
Beginner

Hi Michael,

1. The problem is that after subscribing to a lot of multicast addresses, the VF is blacklisted by the PF and needs to be rebooted.

2. I have included in the initial reports the lines of kernel logs relevant to the problem.

3. The SSU logs are attached to this message.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Meuuh,

Thank you for the quick update. Kindly give us 2 to 3 working days to check this issue.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Meuuh,

I hope you are having a good day. I just want to update you that we are now checking this issue, while doing that, we also want to gather the following details:

1. When did you encounter the issue?
  2. You mentioned that you bought it from FS.com. Can you provide a picture on both sides focusing on the markings of the adapter?
  3. We cannot see the part number of the adapter in SSU. Is it the same unit that you purchased? Is it an Intel based Ethernet Adapter?
  4. Or is it this one that we tried to check in FS.com?

https://www.fs.com/sg/products/75600.html?attribute=4842&id=259036

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Meuuh
Beginner

Yes I confirm that I bought it from fs.com, using the URL you copied. The problem happens when I subscribe to a large number of multicast addresses from a VF, as explained in the original post.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Meuuh,

Thank you for the quick reply. Kindly give us 2 to 3 working days to check this unit from FS.com.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Meuuh,

Thank you for patiently waiting for our update. Please be advise that this unit is an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM). We understand that your Ethernet Adapter is an Intel based adapter however we still recommend that you get in touch with FS for further support since they have customized Firmware or drivers that fits on their OEM Ethernet adapter. They are still in best position to provide assistance about this concern on your OEM Ethernet Adapter.

Please open the link below where you can request for technical assistance from FS.com

https://www.fs.com/sg/service/fs_support.html

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Meuuh,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just checking if you already contacted the manufacturer of the card for further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Meuuh
Beginner

Hi Michael, I contacted the manufacturer indeed. I haven't received a technical reply yet.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Meuuh,

Thank you so much for the update. Since you are now going to speak with SF.com. we need to close this thread now. They are the best team who can assist you regarding the issue encountered.

If you need assistance again in the future, please post a new question.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos