Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4872 Discussions

Trying to find Linux driver for DevID of 15bc

BlackDogWhite
Beginner

We have a fairly new Gigabyte motherboard for which we need to install an older version of Fedora (F23), due to other device driver problems.  This motherboard did not come with any special Linux drivers and we have had problems getting the onboard ethernet to be recognized. We were able to download (from you guys) a file (netdriverinfo.sh) that identified the manufacturer and device ID (8086/15BC).

Can you tell me what device driver I need to use for this?

I think the typical recommendation is to get the driver from the motherboard manufacturer, but they don't seem to support Linux for this motherboard.  We may be out of luck, but I'd like to at least give a try to installing an Intel driver.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Caguicla_Intel

Hello BlackDogWhite,

Thank you for the reply.

We've tried looking for similar Device ID 15bc from Intel Community posted by other users and it turns out that DevID 15BC is Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-V. Once you confirmed this with Gigabyte support, you may consider visiting the link below for Linux* Base Driver for Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Network Connections.

Scroll down to Linux* e1000e base driver for Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection installation instructions. The Linux* e1000e driver supports the Intel® PRO/1000 PCI-E (82563/6/7, 82571/2/3/4/7/8/9, or 82583) I217/I218/I219 based gigabit network adapters.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005480/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello BlackDogWhite,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

As you mentioned on your initial post, yes, it is highly recommended to get the driver from the manufacturer to avoid incompatibilities on your OEM system. The software drivers linked from Intel page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. However, Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) might have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. 

Since you mentioned that you'd like to try installing Intel driver, we are more than glad to help you with this. However, we'd like to set your expectation that we might have a limited support since this is a third party system. 

For us to proceed checking your request, kindly provide the information below.

1.) What is the exact model of your Gigabyte motherboard? 

2.) Can you visit the link below and scroll down to Use Linux* to find your adapter driver version and device name so we can identify the model of your Ethernet Controller?

Identify Your Wired Intel® Ethernet Adapter and Driver Version

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005584/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

We hope to hear form you soon.

Should there be no reply, we will reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
BlackDogWhite
Beginner

Sorry for taking so long to respond - for some reason I though I'd get an email about responses.  But that's a different issue.  If it helps at all my work email is rcw@dynres.com.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte H370 HD3.

I believe the pertinent parts of the lspci -v output are:

00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 15bc (rev 10)
        DeviceName: Onboard - Ethernet
        Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device e000
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
        Memory at 539200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+

<and then on to the next section>

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello BlackDogWhite,

No problem at all, appreciate your response.

Unfortunately, we are still not able to identify the exact model of the controller you used. 

However, sharing with you the Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack link below. Please be reminded that the software drivers linked from our page below are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. This may or may not work on your system and will be based on your own validation. 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack?product=2469

We also tried looking for Ethernet driver for your motherboard and unfortunately, we only found driver for Windows OS. We highly suggest contacting Gigabyte support for further assistance on this matter.

https://www.gigabyte.com/my/Motherboard/H370-HD3-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-lan

Awaiting to your reply.

Should there be no reply, we will reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
BlackDogWhite
Beginner

I did find your (Intel's) 25.6 driver zip file, however, I was not sure which of the many different included folders I should build or install from.  Can you provide any guidance on that?

I am also contacting Gigabyte, but I doubt their support is as good and timely as yours!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello BlackDogWhite,

Thank you for the reply.

We've tried looking for similar Device ID 15bc from Intel Community posted by other users and it turns out that DevID 15BC is Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-V. Once you confirmed this with Gigabyte support, you may consider visiting the link below for Linux* Base Driver for Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Network Connections.

Scroll down to Linux* e1000e base driver for Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection installation instructions. The Linux* e1000e driver supports the Intel® PRO/1000 PCI-E (82563/6/7, 82571/2/3/4/7/8/9, or 82583) I217/I218/I219 based gigabit network adapters.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005480/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
BlackDogWhite
Beginner

That worked!  The e1000e driver you linked/referenced (and instructions) seems to have been just the ticket.

The on-board Ethernet now is working.  

Thanks for all your help.  It is very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello BlackDogWhite,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you already heard from Gigabyte. We will highly appreciate if you can share their feedback with us. Should you have have additional questions and assistance needed for this request, please let us know and we will be glad to check on it.

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello BlackDogWhite,

You're welcome, we are glad to hear that the on-board Ethernet is now working.

Since the problem is now resolved, please be informed that we will now close this request. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for your time and cooperation throughout the process. May you have an amazing day ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos