Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

UDP packets dropped after upgrade to kernel 4.14

LAITA
Beginner

I am running an application that uses extensivly udp. The data is sent between two processes on the same node.

After aupgrading to kernel 4.14.20 I have got many udp drops ( some packet drop every minutes).

The main changes is the kernel upgrade from 4.4.27 to 4.14.xx.

Please find in attached file the hardware, driver and stats logs

For information I tried many options [ buffer size for udp, flow control, rss, ..] but this did't resolve the problem.

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello LAITA,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

While we are checking on the details that you provided, you might want to check the link below as there is an formation here about UDP Stress Test Dropped Packet Issue. We understand that you have already tried this option and we just want to double check on this. 

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28387/eng/readme.txt

UDP Stress Test Dropped Packet Issue

------------------------------------

Under small packet UDP stress with the ixgbe driver, the system may drop UDP

packets due to socket buffers being full. Setting the driver Intel Ethernet

Flow Control variables to the minimum may resolve the issue. You may also try increasing the kernel's default buffer sizes by changing the values in

/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default and rmem_max

Hope the above information was of help to you. 

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
LAITA
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback, I have tried the parameters you mentionned. I still see dropped udp packets. I think the problem comes from migration of ixgbe driver from 4.5.x to 5.1.x.

The main difference i see when upgrading is that packets are dropped on interface eth0 with v 5.1.x and also that transceiver passed from external to internal (with command ethtool eth0)

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello LAITA,

Thank you for the reply.

We will further check this on our end and give you an update as soon as there is any findings. We will post on this thread in case we need an additional information that would help us in investigating the issue.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
LAITA
Beginner

Hi Thank you Crisselle,

I was evaluating the relevancy of compiling and old ixgbe driver 4.5.x for new kernel 4.14.20. In this way I will be sure that the problem is due to driver?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello LAITA,

Thank you for the reply.

Before we proceed on further checking the details that you provide, please check and share the details below that would help us to better understand this matter.

1.) Please share the output of your evaluation after compiling and old ixgbe driver 4.5.x for new kernel 4.14.20.

2.) Can you also share if you are using onboard NIC or PCI Ethernet adapter? We have checked that 82599 controller is used on X520 series of adapter. Please share the exact model of your adapters.

You may visit this link of check the Ethernet controller used in Ethernet adapters. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005612/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

3.) By the way, just to give you a heads up, Debian OS is not on the list of validated Operating systems for any of Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters

You may visit this link for the list of Supported Operating Systems for Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello LAITA,

Please provide the requested information for us to further check on your query.

Your prompt reply is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello LAITA,

We are just sending another follow up on the information that we requested for us to further assist you.

Your prompt reply is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos