Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

UDP packets frozen with at least I219-V, I219-LM and I217-LM

KMari1
Beginner

Hello,

I am new to this community. I subscribed to ask a question here because I am really stuck.

My company makes electronic devices that use UDP 100 MB Ethernet communication with a PC (under Windows 7, 8.1 or 10).

It works perfectly with other brands of Ethernet adapters; but there is a strange behavious with the Intel NICs we tried (at least I219-V, I219-LM and I217-LM).

Basically, our electronic devices can be considered as cameras capturing about 150 images per second.

We send a small command on one socket via UDP to tell it to capture an image, then we receive the compressed image as a set of UDP packets on another socket.

Each packet contains up to 1444 bytes of data (to which one can add the data from the different layers of protocols, which in the end does not exceed the standard packet size => no need to use Jumbo packets).

The problem is that, sometimes (this varies from as often as every 5 seconds to as rarely as only once within a 10-mn period), I am waiting forever (until the defined UDP time out) for the data to arrive while it has been sent (I can see it by sniffing the data from another computer connected to the same switch). I could believe that the UDP packet was lost by the Intel NIC, but it has not been lost. If I send a new image capture command, the packets that I was waiting finally arrive, followed by the packets of the new image.

Why are those packets stuck?

Is there any advanced parameter that I could modify from the device driver's configuration window or from a Registry key?

Note that I tried updating the Intel driver to recent versions (last one is 22.4.0.1). It seems to perform a little better that some other versions I tried (like the one installed by default in Windows), but none of the versions I tried work perfectly.

Many thanks in advance if you can help me understand what is wrong (either from me or from the driver). I have been struggling on this problem for months and we have to equip our customers who own a laptop with an Intel NIC with USB adapters with a NIC made by another brand to bypass the problem.

Karl

0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Karl,

Thank you for posting at Wired Communities. Can you share more information below:

1) what is the brand and model of your electronic device and what is the brand and model of the PC also.

2) Please correct my understanding here, so the electronic device is connect to the PC (embedded with I219 ethernet controller) via a switch ?What is the brand and model of the switch?

3) What is the software or tool used to send the packets?

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
KMari1
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for your quick response.

Here are my answers to your questions:

1) The electronic device is our new 3D laser scanner (100Mbps Full Duplex). We do not have problems with our older 10Mbps Full Duplex Ethernet model; but it was scanning twice slower and returned four times smaller pictures, so it was actually sending eight times less data to the computer.

We have encountered the problem with several laptops, equipped with Intel I217-LM, Intel I219-LM and Intel I219-V. For instance, the computer I am using for most of my tests is a Lenovo Thinkpad P71 equipped with Intel I219-V.

2) Our device is normally meant to be directly plugged into the RJ45 socket of the laptop (controlled by the Intel I219). We only used a switch once to watch with another computer in parallel what was happening to the packets (if they were actually sent by our device and when). I do not remember the brand of the switch we used but it does not matter; it was only a tool for analysis. We could see (with WireShark) that when the problem occurred (the problem we encountered without any switch) our observer computer received the packets in time while the Intel 219 computer did not. The packets seemed to be stuck somewhere in the Intel I219 controller or its driver layer but not sent to Windows higher layers monitored by WireShark and read by our software application.

3) Our device is controlled by our own software: all the scanner managing code is in one small DLL using very basic C UDP programming (mostly recv and sendto commands plus a few initial socket configuration commands).

Best regards,

Karl

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the information. I will try check for you and update you if there is any finding.

regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Karl,

Can you help provide the SSU log for the I219LM? Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- to download and run the SSU tool. Send the log file to us.

Please share also the other network adapter model that did not encounter the said issue.

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
KMari1
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

The other adapter model we successfully tried on the same computer was a USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter. The brand seems to be "Glaabit", but it is just an intergrator. Internally, the adapter uses a "RealtekUSB GbE Family Controller" device.

On other computers, we could use a "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" as well as some Broadcom controllers and even USB3.0-GbE adapters with Asix AX88179 controllers.

And here is the SSU log:

# SSU Scan Information

Scan Info:

Version:"2.5.0.8"

Date:"08/03/2017"

Time:"00:00:36.5445628"

# Scanned Hardware

Computer:

BaseBoard Manufacturer:"LENOVO"

BIOS Mode:"UEFI"

BIOS Version/Date:"LENOVO N1TET34W (1.08 ) , 05/15/2017"

CD or DVD:"HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUD0N"

Embedded Controller Version:"1.3"

Platform Role:"Mobile"

Processor:"Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz , GenuineIntel"

Secure Boot State:"On"

SMBIOS Version:"3.0"

Sound Card:"Realtek High Definition Audio"

Sound Card:"Son Intel(R) pour écrans"

System Manufacturer:"LENOVO"

System Model:"20HKCTO1WW"

System SKU:"LENOVO_MT_20HK_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad P71"

System Type:"x64-based PC"

- "Display"

Intel ® Graphics Driver Version:"21.20.16.4627"

- "Intel(R) HD Graphics 630"

Adapter Compatibility:"Intel Corporation"

Adapter DAC Type:"Internal"

Adapter RAM:"1,00 GB"

Availability:"Running or Full Power"

Bits Per Pixel:"32"

- "Caption":"Intel(R) HD Graphics 630"

Link:" http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?keyword=HD+Graphics+630"

CoInstallers:"C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_588ee7db0040be5b\igxpco64.dll, CoDeviceInstall"

Color Table Entries:"4294967296"

Dedicated Video Memory:"Not Available"

Driver:"igdkmd64.sys"

Driver Date:"03/09/2017 01:00"

Driver Path:"C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_588ee7db0040be5b\igdkmd64.sys"

Driver Provider:"Intel Corporation"

Driver Version:"21.20.16.4627"

INF:"oem65.inf"

INF Section:"iKBLD_w10_DS"

Install Date:"Not Available"

Installed Drivers:"igdumdim64,igd10iumd64,igd10iumd64,igd12umd64,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32,igd12umd32"

Last Error Code:"Not Available"

Last Error Code Description:"Not Available"

Last Reset:"Not Available"

Manufacturer:"Intel Corporation"

Microsoft DirectX* Version:"DirectX 12"

Monochrome:"No"

Number of Colors:"4294967296"

Number of Video Pages:"Not Available"

PNP Device ID:"PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_591B&SUBSYS_224C17AA&REV_04\3&11583659&1&10"

Power Management Capabilities:"Not Available"

Power Management Supported:"Not Available"

Refresh Rate - Current:"60 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Maximum:"60 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Minimum:"60 Hz"

Resolution:"1920 X 1080"

Scan Mode:"Noninterlaced"

Service Name:"igfx"

Video Architecture:"VGA"

Video Memory:"Unknown"

Video Processor:"Intel(R) HD Graphics Family"

- "NVIDIA Quadro M620"

Adapter Compatibility:"NVIDIA"

Adapter DAC Type:"Integrated RAMDAC"

Adapter RAM:"2,00 GB"

Availability:"Offline"

Bits Per Pixel:"Not Available"

Caption:"NVIDIA Quadro M620"

CoInstallers:"C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_588ee7db0040be5b\igxpco64.dll, CoDeviceInstall"

Color Table Entries:"Not Available"

Driver:"nvlddmkm.sys"

Driver Date:"05/16/2017 02:00"

Driver Path:"C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.inf_amd64_45c734da6418705e\nvlddmkm.sys"

Driver Provider:"NVIDIA"

Driver Version:"22.21.13.8229"

INF:"oem29.inf"

INF Section:"Section244"

Installed Drivers:"C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.inf_amd64_45c734da6418705e\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.inf_amd64_45c734da6418705e\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.inf_amd64_45c734da6418705e\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.inf_amd64_45c734da6418705e\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.inf_amd64_45c734da6418705e\nvldumd.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.inf_amd64_45c734da6418705e\nvldumd.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.inf_amd64_45c734da6418705e\nvldumd.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.inf_amd64_45c734da6418705e\nvldumd.dll"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the information. I will check on this.

regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Karl,

Please try disabling UDP checksum offload features on the adapter, you may also compare the settings of Realtek controller that doesn't experience the same issue with I219. Please do let me know the result.

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Karl,

Please feel free to update me if you have tried the suggestion and hope to hear good news from you.

Regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
KMari1
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

Sorry for the delay. I was on vacations.

I tried disabling UDP Checksum Offload but nothing changed. Not better, not worse.

Regards,

Karl

0 Kudos
KMari1
Beginner

By the way... I mentioned that the reported problem concerns Intel I219-V, I219-LM and I217-LM controllers for laptops.

If it may help, I would like to add that we have no problem with our two desktop computers with I218-V controllers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the update and hope you had a great vacation. Let me further check on this, and have you compare the setting on the Realtek network card which you claimed to have no issue?

regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Karl,

As mentioned there is no issue on the I218-LM, can you share the SSU log for the I218-LM?

Download and run the SSU Tool at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- , please send the log to us.

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
KMari1
Beginner

I found out that we also have a desktop computer with a PCI (or PCIe?) extension card with an I217-V controller.

Unlike the laptops (with an I217-LM or I219-V) controller, the desktops with (with an I217-V or I218-V) work perfectly.

I do not know the difference between "-V" and "-LM"... Neither the difference between laptop and desktop versions...

Anyway, here is the SSU log of that desktop PC with an I217-V:

# SSU Scan Information

Scan Info:

Version:"2.5.0.8"

Date:"08/25/2017"

Time:"00:00:18.3330017"

# Scanned Hardware

Computer:

BaseBoard Manufacturer:"Acer"

BIOS Mode:"UEFI"

BIOS Version/Date:"American Megatrends Inc. P11-B4 , 03/01/2014 12:00"

CD or DVD:"MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E1"

Embedded Controller Version:"255.255"

Platform Role:"Desktop"

Processor:"Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz , GenuineIntel"

Secure Boot State:"On"

SMBIOS Version:"2.7"

Sound Card:"NVIDIA High Definition Audio"

Sound Card:"Périphérique High Definition Audio"

System Manufacturer:"Acer"

System Model:"Predator G3-605"

System SKU:"Not Available"

System Type:"x64-based PC"

- "Display"

Intel ® Graphics Driver Version:"Not Available"

- "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (192-bit)"

Adapter Compatibility:"NVIDIA"

Adapter DAC Type:"Integrated RAMDAC"

Adapter RAM:"1,50 GB"

Availability:"Running or Full Power"

Bits Per Pixel:"32"

Caption:"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (192-bit)"

CoInstallers:"nvdispgenco6437654.dll,NvGenericCoInstall,nvdispco6437654.dll,NVDisplayCoInstall"

Color Table Entries:"4294967296"

Driver:"nvlddmkm.sys"

Driver Date:"12/29/2016 01:00"

Driver Path:"C:\WINDOWS\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaewu.inf_amd64_8baa9d083edacf87\nvlddmkm.sys"

Driver Provider:"NVIDIA"

Driver Version:"21.21.13.7654"

INF:"oem6.inf"

INF Section:"Section014"

Installed Drivers:"C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaewu.inf_amd64_8baa9d083edacf87\nvd3dumx,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaewu.inf_amd64_8baa9d083edacf87\nvwgf2umx,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaewu.inf_amd64_8baa9d083edacf87\nvwgf2umx,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaewu.inf_amd64_8baa9d083edacf87\nvwgf2umx,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaewu.inf_amd64_8baa9d083edacf87\nvd3dum,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaewu.inf_amd64_8baa9d083edacf87\nvwgf2um,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaewu.inf_amd64_8baa9d083edacf87\nvwgf2um,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvaewu.inf_amd64_8baa9d083edacf87\nvwgf2um"

Manufacturer:"NVIDIA"

Microsoft DirectX* Version:"DirectX 12"

Monochrome:"No"

Number of Colors:"4294967296"

Number of Video Pages:"Not Available"

PNP Device ID:"PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_118E&SUBSYS_6265174B&REV_A1\4&1AA3122A&0&0008"

Power Management Capabilities:"Not Available"

Power Management Supported:"Not Available"

Refresh Rate - Current:"60 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Maximum:"75 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Minimum:"56 Hz"

Resolution:"1920 X 1080"

Scan Mode:"Noninterlaced"

Service Name:"nvlddmkm"

Video Architecture:"VGA"

Video Memory:"Unknown"

Video Processor:"GeForce GTX 760 (192-bit)"

- "Memory"

Physical Memory (Available):"5,73 GB"

Physical Memory (Installed):"8 GB"

Physical Memory (Total):"7,92 GB"

- "BANK 1"

Capacity:"4 GB"

Channel:"DIMM1"

Configured Clock Speed:"1600 MHz"

Configured Voltage:"Not Available"

Data Width:"8 bits"

Form Factor:"DIMM"

Interleave Position:"Not Available"

Manufacturer:"Hynix/Hyundai"

Maximum Voltage:"Not Available"

Memory Type:"DDR3"

Minimum Voltage:"Not Available"

Part Number:"HMT451U6AFR8C-PB"

Serial Number:"058052093108"

Type:"Synchronous"

- "BANK 2"

Capacity:"4 GB"

Channel:"DIMM2"

Configured Clock Speed:"1600 MHz"

Configured Voltage:"Not Available"

Data Width:"8 bits"

Form Factor:"DIMM"

Interleave Position:"Not Available"

Manufacturer:"Hynix/Hyundai"

Maximum Voltage:"Not Available"</...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the information. I will further investigate on this.

Regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Karl,

Further checking, there is some difference in the transmit buffer, I217 is set to 640 while I219 is set to 512. You can try tweaking this parameter on I219-LM to see if this will make any differences.

Feel free to update me.

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
KMari1
Beginner

Hi!

I tried playing with the reception and emission buffers, with values from 80 to 2048. Nothing changed.

However, while I was in the Performance Options dialog, I also tried tweaking the Interrupt Throttle Rate (ITR) and it gave me very interesting results!

ITR = 0 ("Disabled") => Excellent scanning performance (157 Hz) but many frozen packets.

ITR = 200 ("Minimal") => Excellent scanning performance (157 Hz) but many frozen packets.

ITR = 400 ("Low") => Good scanning performance (154 Hz) but many frozen packets.

ITR = 950 ("Medium") => Medium scanning performance(151 Hz) but NO frozen packets!!!

ITR = 2000 ("High") => Poor scanning performance (148 Hz) but NO frozen packets!

ITR = 3600 ("Extreme") => Bad scanning performance (141 Hz) but NO frozen packets!

ITR = 65535 ("Variable") => Good scanning performance and very few frozen packets!

I will run tests all night with the "Medium" value to check whether packets are lost but it seems that setting ITR to "Medium" is the key! (Or "Variable" if the user wants to maximize performance and can afford a few gaps during scanning.)

Any information that could explain the phenomenon is welcome.

Karl

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the update and good to know the ITR option helps. Please do let me know your monitoring result.

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
KMari1
Beginner

The tests ran during more than 15 hours last night and when I went back I saw a few errors, but much much lesser than before!

1st error occurred after 2 hours

2nd error occured 1 hour later

3rd error occured 4 hours later

Then, 1 hour later I got 30 errors in a row.

Then, during the last 7 hours, more than 200 errors occured, quite well spread over the time. So it was an error about every two minutes.

I don't know what to think about the errors that occured during the last 7-8 hours. The computer was of course configured to stay awake; but maybe Windows decided to do some heavy background job.

Anyway, it is a handheld device that is not supposed to be used so long without any pause, even though I wouldn't mind if it could.

So, I think I can live with three errors within eight hours since I can recover from errors in less than one second.

As a reminder, it used to bug about every 10 seconds with disabled or minimal ITR.

I will perform a new test this weekend with Extreme value. If it is successful, I will try to find the limit (maybe "High" value) to eliminate all errors while keeping good performance.

I'll let you know.

Anyway, even though it seems that I am about to find the perfect workaround, I am still curious about why this parameter has not only an effect on performance vs CPU usage, but also on stability.

Karl

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the update. Will try check if there is any information to share.

regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
KMari1
Beginner

Last night I ran a new stress test with "Extreme" ITR value.

I only got 3 frozen packets during the whole night:

- One after about one hour

- Two eight hours later

This is acceptable even though I wish I did not have to lose more than 10% of the scanning frequency to ensure stability.

I also asked a partner to test on his computer in normal end-user conditions (not a stress test) with Extreme ITR and no error occured.

Next stress test will be with "High" ITR value on my computer. But it seems to be good.

0 Kudos