Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Unable to Remove Intel NIC Teaming

EPete2
Beginner

I currently have two Intel NICs teamed as Team # 0.

I'm trying to break the team to use each adapter independently, however, when I try to configure the team via "Intel(R) Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter" I get a vague error, "GetTeamInfo failed" and the "Settings" tab is empty.

I've tried running the ProSetCl command line tool and it tells me there is no Teams installed.

I've also tried uninstalling the "Intel(R) Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter" adapter and get a different error message "Teams cannot be removed if a virtual NIC is bound to the team. Remove the virtual NIC before deleting the team." As far as I can tell there is no virtual NIC installed on my machine.

How can I force the removal of the Team # 0 adapter so that I can use the individual NICs separately? I appreciate any help/guidance you can provide.

Thanks

Ethan

0 Kudos
32 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Bricktopp,

Thank you for posting at Wired Communities. Please refer to below website for the steps on how to remove the virtual NIC.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005781.html

Hope the information helps.

Regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
EPete2
Beginner

Thanks for your help. I went through and looked for phantom adapters per the instructions, but there weren't any, and I'm unable to remove the Team (which is my issue) so I can't get past step 2. Additionally, I can't seem to find any virtual NICs but I still get the error about removing virtual NICs before deleting the Team when I try to uninstall the Intel ANS Virtual Adapter. Are there instructions anywhere that describe how to manually remove an Intel Team and/or find virtual NICs? Where in the registry is the Intel ANS Virtual Adapter uninstall checking for virtual NICs?

Thanks

Ethan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bricktopp,

Thank you for the update. Have you tried re-installing the latest PROSet first? I understand you already have the software and driver installed, re-installing the software to override the software or driver.

Regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
EPete2
Beginner

I reinstalled the drivers with the same version as was installed, which was successful. I tried a newer version and it gave me errors saying the current driver cannot be upgraded (seems a little odd drivers are upgradeable). After the reinstall I was able to uninstall the physical network adapters from the device manager which automatically removed them from the Team. Unfortunately I still cannot uninstall the Intel(R) Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter, it gives me the same error "Remove the virtual NIC before deleting the team". So while I was able to break the team I still cannot uninstall the virtual adapter.

Thank you

Ethan
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bricktopp,

Thank you for the update. Let me further check.

Regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bricktopp,

Just to double check have you tried remove the NIC physically from the system? Thanks.

Regards,

sharon
0 Kudos
EPete2
Beginner

No I haven't, the physical NICs are built on to the motherboard, but the virtual NIC (which I can't find) seems to be the root of the problem, at least according to the uninstall dialog when I try to remove the Intel(R) Advances Network Series Virtual Adapter.

Thank you

Ethan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bricktopp,

Thank you for the confirmation. I was thinking in case you can remove the CT desktop adapter(that is a standalone NIC based on the name appeared in device manager) to un-install. By the way what is the driver version and operating system?

regards,

sharon
0 Kudos
EPete2
Beginner

My OS is Windows Server 2012 and the driver is the PROWin8 x64 v18.0. At the time I built my system there wasn't a Win2012 driver and now I cannot update the version that is installed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bricktopp,

Thank you for the information. Intel CT desktop adapter supports Windows 2012, you may refer to our website below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000006476.html

If you are not able to upgrade the previous version 18 to the latest version, please try to upgrade version 18 to other driver versions (not immediately to latest version 22.6) as stated in the website :

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21694/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2012-?product=50395

e,g lower version such as 18.5 then to 19.0 and so on. Please do let me know the result. Thank you.

Regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
EPete2
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion. While the v18.4 version of the Win2012 drivers were attempting to install, a similar error appeared regarding the virtual NIC:

Thank you

Ethan
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bricktopp,

Just to double check, as I understand you mentioned you did not see the Phantom adapters but have you tried the steps:

To remove phantom adapters:
  1. Close Windows* Device Manager.
  2. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt, and enter the following commands:
    1. set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and then press ENTER
    2. start devmgmt.msc and then press ENTER
  3. From the Windows* Device Manager menu, select View > Show hidden devices.
  4. Expand the Network Adapter tree, delete the adapters that are no longer installed by right clicking the gray network adapters and select Uninstall.
  5. Close the Device Manager and reboot your system.
Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bricktopp,

Please confirm if the CT desktop adapter is a standalone network adapter? If yes, please remove the NIC physically then re-boot the system.

Regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bricktopp,

Please feel free to update me the status of the NIC and help confirm if you have tried to remove the CT desktop adapter.

Regards,

sharon
0 Kudos
EPete2
Beginner

I've removed all phantom adapters per your steps and rebooted. Unfortunately I continue to get the same errors.

Thanks

Ethan

0 Kudos
EPete2
Beginner

One of the CT adapters is removable the other one is built onto the motherboard. I'll try to remove it and let you know what happens.

Thank you

Ethan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bricktopp,

Thank you for the update, please do let me know the result after removing the CT adapter physically from the system.

Regards,

Sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bricktopp,

Please feel free to update me if the status of the NIC. Thanks.

Regards,

Sharon
0 Kudos
EPete2
Beginner

Unfortunately, after removing and uninstalling the CT adpater I get the same error message.

Thank you

Ethan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI Bricktopp,

Thank you for the update. I will check on this.

Regards,

Sharon

0 Kudos