Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Unable to compile igb-5.8.2 on Debian 10

protomolekule
Beginner

Hi,

I have the problem that my network hangs sometimes, therefore I tried to compile the igb-5.8.2driver. Unfortunally make (install) cancels the process:

In file included from /root/Downloads/igb/src/kcompat.h:7323,
from /root/Downloads/igb/src/igb.h:32,
from /root/Downloads/igb/src/igb_main.c:30:
/root/Downloads/igb/src/kcompat_impl.h:46:28: error: redefinition of ‘skb_frag_off’
static inline unsigned int skb_frag_off(const skb_frag_t *frag)
^~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-18-common/include/linux/if_ether.h:23,
from /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-18-common/include/uapi/linux/ethtool.h:19,
from /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-18-common/include/linux/ethtool.h:18,
from /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-18-common/include/linux/netdevice.h:41,
from /root/Downloads/igb/src/igb_main.c:9:
/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-18-common/include/linux/skbuff.h:2795:28: note: previous definition of ‘skb_frag_off’ was here
static inline unsigned int skb_frag_off(const skb_frag_t *frag)
^~~~~~~~~~~~
make[3]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-18-common/scripts/Makefile.build:309: /root/Downloads/igb/src/igb_main.o] Fehler 1
make[2]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-18-common/Makefile:1561: _module_/root/Downloads/igb/src] Fehler 2
make[2]: Verzeichnis „/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-18-amd64“ wird verlassen
make[1]: *** [Makefile:146: sub-make] Fehler 2
make[1]: Verzeichnis „/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-18-common“ wird verlassen
make: *** [Makefile:87: default] Fehler 2

Configuration:

Kernel: 4.19.0-18-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.208-1 (2021-09-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Networkcards 2* Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

How can I solve this? I have no idea about skb

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello protomolekule,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Are you designing a system with embedded Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection?
  2. Or Are you using a system or board with embedded Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection?
  3. What is the brand and model of your board/system?
  4. Can you also provide the link of the latest driver that you are using?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
protomolekule
Beginner

Dear Michael,

thank you for your answer.

1. Are you designing a system with embedded Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection?
    -> No
  2. Or Are you using a system or board with embedded Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection?
    -> board
  3. What is the brand and model of your board/system?
    -> HP ProLiant 180
  4. Can you also provide the link of the latest driver that you are using?
    -> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/14098/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-82575-6-82580-i350-and-i210-211-based-gigabit-network-connections-for-linux.html?wapkw=82576

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello protomolekule,

Thank you for the quick reply. Before we proceed, let me also ask if you already tried asking if HP if the have custom driver for the embedded Intel 82576? Onboard network cards may have altered by the system and may require a custom driver for it.

You may try to contact them via this link:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04441832

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
protomolekule
Beginner

Hello Michael,

indeed I found there some firmware files for my DL 180 Gen 6 machine.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_1f19131c004c44239acf9f01e7

Before I install:

There are so many different files. How can I check which one is installed?

Is there a way to get the firmware release numbers from the board?

Thank you for your attention.

Hans

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello protomolekule,

Thank you for the update and we are glad that you found some firmware files in the support site of HP. They may have custom firmware so the best team check the version and installation procedure is to speak with their support team. Kindly try to contact them because Intel does not have further details regarding their firmware.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello protomolekule,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just checking if you are now talking to HP regarding the firmware version on their site.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello protomolekule,

I hope this message finds you well.

I am just sending another follow up hoping that you are now talking to HP regarding the firmware and what file to use since they are the one who can identify the correct file to use.. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello protomolekule,

Before we close this thread, we would like to add, if HP was not able to provide assistance, you may also check on this link to compile driver issue:

https://sourceforge.net/

And also, The interactive technical support for Intel® 82576EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller has been discontinued so you may want to try our Other teams and they may be able to provide assistance about with this issue.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos