Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4860 Discussions

Unable to create mirror of vlans on vf port on Intel X710

Rithea
Novice

I want to create a VF inside a X710 NIC to monitor other VFs within the same parent NIC.

The steps I followed:

echo 3 > /sys/class/net/eno1/device/sriov_numvfs
ip link set eno1 vf 0 mac 00:11:22:33:44:66 vlan 2
ip link set eno1 vf 1 mac 00:11:22:33:44:66 vlan 3
ip link set eno1 vf 0 mac 00:11:22:33:44:26

ls /sys/class/net/eno1/device/virtfn2/net/
# eno1v2

# below command is my problem, sriov directory not found
# SR-IOV is enabled on the NIC
echo add 2,3 > /sys/class/net/eno1/device/sriov/2/vlan_mirror

The issue is the last command did not work because `sriov` directory is not found.
In my Ubuntu 22.04 server, the directory/file related to sriov shown as below instead

root@ubuntu:/sys/class/net/eno1/device# ls | grep sriov
sriov_drivers_autoprobe
sriov_numvfs
sriov_offset
sriov_stride
sriov_totalvfs
sriov_vf_device
sriov_vf_total_msix

The NIC information:

root@ubuntu:~# ethtool -i eno1
driver: i40e
version: 5.15.0-1009-realtime
firmware-version: 8.40 0x8000af86 20.5.13
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:19:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes
root@testing-5g-gnb-321:~#

I could not find the path `sriov` as it should normally have.
Is it due to the fact I use kernel real-time causing the path/files related to sriov structure look differently?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Rithea,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please see below findings and let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

1. After checking, we found out that you are using a Dell Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) version of Intel Ethernet adapter. For OEM version of Ethernet adapters, we'd like to set your expectation that we have a limited support it would be best if you can get in touch with Dell for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter. But don't worry as we will still provide our best effort support on this one. 

2. Did you configure the SR-IOV based on link below?

https://cdrdv2-public.intel.com/331346/xl710-sr-iov-config-guide-gbe-linux-brief.pdf

3. Have you tried the latest Physical Function (PF) and Virtual Function(VF) driver? Below are the generic drivers for X710. We aren't able to locate which driver version you used as it is not listed from our link below. We would still suggest obtaining the driver from your manufacturer.

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for PCIe* 40 Gigabit Ethernet Network Connections under Linux* - 2.20.12 version

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18026/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-pcie-40-gigabit-ethernet-network-connections-under-linux.html

Intel® Network Adapter Linux* Virtual Function Driver for Intel® Ethernet Controller 700 and E810 Series - 4.7.0 version

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18159/intel-network-adapter-linux-virtual-function-driver-for-intel-ethernet-controller-700-and-e810-series.html

Awaiting to you reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Rithea,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

1. Please share the PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. Providing photos of the adapter focusing on the markings (white sticker) found on the physical card will be highly appreciated for us to double check on it. The PBA consists 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

2. iavf driver version

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Rithea
Novice

Rithea_1-1670928080686.png

1. The PBA is M136420-002.

2. iavf driver version

root@5ggnb02:~# modinfo iavf
filename:       /lib/modules/5.15.0-1009-realtime/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/iavf/iavf.ko
license:        GPL v2
description:    Intel(R) Ethernet Adaptive Virtual Function Network Driver
author:         Intel Corporation, <linux.nics@intel.com>
alias:          i40evf
srcversion:     95B808FFE73DC84769F8D1A
alias:          pci:v00008086d00001889sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00008086d000037CDsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00008086d00001571sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00008086d0000154Csv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends:
retpoline:      Y
intree:         Y
name:           iavf
vermagic:       5.15.0-1009-realtime SMP preempt_rt mod_unload modversions

Kind regards,

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Rithea,

Thank you for the reply.

Please allow us to further check on this matter. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Rithea,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please see below findings and let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

1. After checking, we found out that you are using a Dell Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) version of Intel Ethernet adapter. For OEM version of Ethernet adapters, we'd like to set your expectation that we have a limited support it would be best if you can get in touch with Dell for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter. But don't worry as we will still provide our best effort support on this one. 

2. Did you configure the SR-IOV based on link below?

https://cdrdv2-public.intel.com/331346/xl710-sr-iov-config-guide-gbe-linux-brief.pdf

3. Have you tried the latest Physical Function (PF) and Virtual Function(VF) driver? Below are the generic drivers for X710. We aren't able to locate which driver version you used as it is not listed from our link below. We would still suggest obtaining the driver from your manufacturer.

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for PCIe* 40 Gigabit Ethernet Network Connections under Linux* - 2.20.12 version

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18026/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-pcie-40-gigabit-ethernet-network-connections-under-linux.html

Intel® Network Adapter Linux* Virtual Function Driver for Intel® Ethernet Controller 700 and E810 Series - 4.7.0 version

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18159/intel-network-adapter-linux-virtual-function-driver-for-intel-ethernet-controller-700-and-e810-series.html

Awaiting to you reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

Caguicla_Intel

Hello Rithea,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you read our reply. If yes, please confirm and provide the information requested so we can continue working on your query.

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications.

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

In case we don't hear from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Rithea
Novice

Hi, 

Thank you for the kind support.

I would like to confirm the questions as below.

>>1. After checking, we found out that you are using a Dell Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) version of Intel Ethernet adapter

Understood.

>>2. Did you configure the SR-IOV based on link below?

>>https://cdrdv2-public.intel.com/331346/xl710-sr-iov-config-guide-gbe-linux-brief.pdf

#grub intel iommu flag confirmation
root@ubuntu:~# cat /etc/default/grub | grep -A 1 intel_iommu
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="intel_iommu=on iommu=pt"

#sriov totalvfs confirmation
root@ubuntu:~#  cat /sys/class/net/eno1/device/sriov_totalvfs

#sriov driver confirmation
root@ubuntu:~# lsmod | grep i40e
i40e                  446464  0

>>3. Have you tried the latest Physical Function (PF) and Virtual Function(VF) driver? Below are the generic drivers for X710. We aren't >>able to locate which driver version you used as it is not listed from our link below. We would still suggest obtaining the driver from >>your manufacturer.

# Ethernet controller confirmation
root@ubuntu:~# lspci | grep "Virtual"
19:02.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series (rev 02)
19:02.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Virtual Function 700 Series (rev 02)

With the above answer, is the NIC has already installed with a generic driver.

FYI, I have used the NIC to create 2 VFs for Frounthaul network and it works fine but I just wanted to mirrors of 2 vlans on a virtual function for traffic capture purpose as I mentioned in the beginning of this conversation thread.

I was looking for this specific path below

echo add 2,3 > /sys/class/net/eno1/device/sriov/2/vlan_mirror

But all I can find inside the target directory is as shown below (Could not find the 'sriov' directory)

root@testing-5g-gnb-321:~# ls /sys/class/net/eno1/device/ | grep sriov
sriov_drivers_autoprobe
sriov_numvfs
sriov_offset
sriov_stride
sriov_totalvfs
sriov_vf_device
sriov_vf_total_msix

Kind regards,

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Rithea,

Thank you for the reply. 

Please allow us to further check this request with our engineers. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Rithea
Novice

Hi Crisselle C.

Sorry I just notice the driver version of mine were in the same format as the real time kernel version.

So, it makes me misunderstand the driver version download link you shared not matching, thus I suspect all issue caused by the kernel.

Then, I was confused that there could be solved by also changing the kernel.

But now, I confirmed it is solved by the update the driver update of both i40e and iavf as you suggested earliest without upgarding the kernel.

Thank you for the helpful support and follow-up

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Rithea,

You're welcome. It's been our pleasure helping you out! 

We highly appreciate your update and we are more than glad to hear that the issue has been resolved after updating the i40 and iavf driver. 

Since you've accepted our reply as solution, please be informed that we will now close this thread. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for your time and cooperation throughout the process. May you have an amazing day and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos