Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4791 Discussions

Unable to flash PRO/1000 PT card with iSCSI rom

Kreksoverzum
Novice

Hi!

I own a plenty of PRO/1000 PT Single port adapters in Retail versions, not OEM

(D50855-003, EXPI9300PTLPBLK, 82572El based) and i'd like to flash iSCSI rom.

I tried bootutil versions 1.6.57.0 and 1.7.26.3 with no success: 

# ./bootutil64e -nic 1 -up iscsi -file ../BootIMG.FLB

Intel(R) Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility
BootUtil version 1.6.57.0
Copyright (C) 2003-2017 Intel Corporation

iscsi is not a valid image type for port 1

Port Network Address Location Series  WOL Flash Firmware                Version
==== =============== ======== ======= === ============================= =======
  1   001B211A2920     2:00.0 Gigabit NO  PXE                           1.5.89
root@pentium:~/Preboot_22/APPS/BootUtil/Linux_x64#

I suppose i need older ROM or older bootutil or both. Please help me to find it or to find my mistake if there is any.

I understand that this is EOL product, but i hope that won't be a problem.

0 Kudos
32 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the following information that would help in checking your request.

1.) Kindly confirm if BootUtil was downloaded from link below? If no, please share the link where the utility was downloaded from.

Intel® Ethernet Connections Boot Utility, Preboot Images, and EFI Drivers

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29137/Ethernet-Intel-Ethernet-Connections-Boot-Utility-Preboot-Images-and-EFI-Drivers

2.) How many adapters are affected by the issue? 

3.) What is the current driver version of your PRO/1000 PT?

4.) Operating System used

5.) When you mentioned that you have plenty of PRO/1000 PT Single port adapters in Retail versions and not OEM, do they all have the same PBA number as below?

D50855-003

We hope to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

Kreksoverzum
Novice

Thank you for your reply.

1.) Yes. I tried two versions. This one and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27539/Ethernet-Intel-Ethernet-Connections-Boot-Utility-Preboot-Images-and-EFI-Drivers

2.) I tried with two. There are five more, pretty identical

3.) modinfo says it is e1000e version 3.2.6-k

4.) Ubuntu 18.04 x86_64 with 4.15.0-135 kernel

5.) Yes

I have successfully updated pxe rom on this adapter with "-UP PXE". And even more, yesterday i have successfully flashed iscsi rom into EXPI9301CT (Desktop Gigabit CT adapter) installed in the same box. So, I believe, it is not OS or driver failure. However, it can be

And there is one more odd thing: before upgrading pxe rom with "-UP PXE", i was unable to save old image with -SAVEIMAGE and rom version was marked as Unknown. After upgrading -SI flag works. Note, that on the screenshot similar case is depicted but not as exactly described.

Origin of these cards is nebulous and doubtful. That's why a attach photos of the card

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

You're welcome, appreciate your effort in sending the requested information.

Please allow us to further check on this. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

We hope you had a great weekend!

We've sent an email as our engineering team is requesting for Intel® System Support Utility(SSU) logs from your system to further check this request. Please be reminded to attach the SSU logs when replying to our email and not on this thread to avoid exposing sensitive information.

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will make sure to reach out after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

Good day!

This is just a follow up for the additional information that we are requesting for. Kindly reply to our email and attach the the SSU logs for us to continue with the investigation. In case you need more time on this, please let us know and we will be glad to adjust our follow up date. 

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

We are sending this message to confirm that we received your reply via email. 

We appreciate your effort in sending the requested information. We will continue to check this issue with our engineers and get back to you as soon as we heard form them but no later than 2-3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

Good day!

Before we share the SSU logs to our engineers, kindly provide the additional information below as our initial findings based on the logs.

1.) We noticed that there is no Intel driver installed for Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT adapter on Windows 7 OS. Is it possible to extract the logs from original system with Ubuntu OS as there is no driver installed on your Windows 7 system?

You may also visit this link for Final-Release driver for Windows 7 OS

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7-Final-Release

2.) Have you also tried installing the latest driver 3.8.4 from link below?

For Ubuntu OS

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/15817/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-PCIe-Intel-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Connections-under-Linux-

Looking forward to your response.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

How are you doing?

We'd like to follow up the additional information that we are requesting for. In case you need more time on this, please let us know and we will be glad to adjust our follow up date.

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Kreksoverzum
Novice

Yes, I'd like to have a little bit more time. Thank you for your support.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

Thank you for the reply.

Then, we will patiently wait for your update. To give you enough time on this, we will make another follow up after 3-5 business days.

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

Kreksoverzum
Novice

Description of files that i attached:
1. ssu log before driver installation

2. ssu log after driver installation

3. result of modinfo e1000e after driver installation

Result of bootutil ./bootutil64e -nic 2 -up iscsi -file ../BootIMG.FLB is the same. Nothing changed

BTW windows 7 is still giving me BSOD's even after correct intel driver installation.

What additional information can i provide to you at this moment?

P.S.: ssu reports are not edited in any way and are complete just as they were generated

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

Please allow us to continue investigating this issue with our engineers. Rest assured that we will get back to you as soon as we heard from them but no later than 2-4 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

Good day!

Please be informed that this query is still under investigation. Rest assured that we will send an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-4 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

Kreksoverzum
Novice

To help with your investigation i can provide root ssh access to the computer.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. Please see below information for our engineering team's feedback.

Have you try -up=combo. There might be a restriction on having only iSCSI based on the combo rules. Combo will add the base option ROM’s.

If this does not work, possible that Intel® PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter with chipset 82572El does not support iSCSI Remote Boot because it is not on the list below.

Learn Which Adapters Support Intel® iSCSI Remote Boot

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007210/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

Let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Kreksoverzum
Novice

Well... "-up=combo" ended up with "ERROR: Flash too small for the image"... Omitting the fact that combo stands for pxe+efi, not pxe+iscsi

Aaaand I was so disappointed with a fact of long but futile waiting with a smell of fatal inevitability, enraged, i tore heatsink off and found out this is NOT 82572El (see picture attached), but 82572GI that supports ISCSI boot for sure.

Sorry about that, but both your suggestions render being unapplicable.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you are able to read our previous message. Should you need more time with this, feel free to let us know and we will be glad to adjust our follow up date.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

Thank you for the reply and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Please allow us to re-escalate this request to our engineers for further checking. We will get back to you as soon as we heard an update from them but no later than 2-3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kreksoverzum,

Good day!

We are sending this to inform you that based on our investigation in regards to the information you've shared on your adapter adapter on February 16, 2021, we thought that you are using a 82572El based chipset PRO /1000 desktop adapter. 

Adapter details provided on your initial post

(D50855-003, EXPI9300PTLPBLK, 82572El based) 

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and rest assured that we are still checking your request with our engineering team. We will get back to you as soon as we heard from them but no later than 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

Kreksoverzum
Novice

Certaintly I understand that incorrect information was provided by myself and that misleaded you and i did not mean this is your fault.

Looking forward for reply from engineering team and i remind you that i am ready to provide 24/7 ssh access to the pc with this card installed. 

0 Kudos