Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Unable to update i350-T4 NIC flash.

BLeli
Beginner

I've been trying to update the flash on an Intel i350-T4 NIC I got off Amazon but for some reason bootutil won't let me.

First when I just run bootutil it show all four ports on the card to be in "FLASH not present" mode.

When I run "bootutil -nic=1 -fe" it says the command has succeeded and to reboot to enable flash. After a reboot nothing has changed and trying to update the flash with "bootutil -nic=1 -up=pxe -file=bootimg.flb" results in a "Flash is not enabled on port 1" error (using the Intel bootutil) or an "Adaptor port is not bootable on port 1" error is using an IBM or Dell version of bootutil.

Trying to execute "bootutil -nic=1 -bootenable=pxe" with either Dell or IBM bootutil gives the same "Adaptor port is not bootable on port 1" error. Using the Intel bootutil for the same commands gives a "Found discrete ROM in the flash for NIC 1" error.

I'm at a loss as to how to update the flash. Tried to get the Cisco version of bootutil to see if that worked any better but the Cisco support site is a mess and won't let me login to download their tools.

Does anybody have any suggestion on any other version of bootutil to use or anything else to try to update the flash on this card? I tried to contact the Amazon vendor to find out exactly what system manufacturer's server this card was taken out of but haven't had any luck yet.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi IamGimli,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

Base on your test, it appears your network card does not have flash. Make sure that you have an Intel Retail Adapter to be sure that your adapter has the flash memory. Try to find a bar code sticker and you should see a 6-3 digit number. This is the adapter's board number.

The board number of Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 is G15139-xxx. If you have other board numbers, please provide your board# here.

Sincerely,

Sandy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi IamGimli,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

Base on your test, it appears your network card does not have flash. Make sure that you have an Intel Retail Adapter to be sure that your adapter has the flash memory. Try to find a bar code sticker and you should see a 6-3 digit number. This is the adapter's board number.

The board number of Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 is G15139-xxx. If you have other board numbers, please provide your board# here.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
BLeli
Beginner

Thank you for your response.

I'm pretty sure this NIC wasn't manufactured by Intel but it is built using an Intel chipset. The Amazon store I bought it from is completely unhelpful in trying to figure out what's going on so I figured maybe someone in the Intel community may have an idea what I'm missing.

As you say it seems like the card doesn't have flash memory but what would the FW be loaded on then, EEPROM? That seems really strange to me to have a card like that whose firmware you can't change. I guess that's the difference between an $85 i350-T4 and a $350 one! lol

Anyway here's a picture of the card, if it helps at all.

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

The card looks different in comparison with reference Intel image - http://ark.intel.com/products/59063/Intel-Ethernet-Server-Adapter-I350-T4# @productimages http://ark.intel.com/products/59063/Intel-Ethernet-Server-Adapter-I350-T4# @productimages . Although two EEPROMs chips are present on board (U16&17).

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi JFFulcrum - Thanks for your reply. Yes, the adapter looks different.

Hi IamGimli - Your card is not an Intel Retail Adapter, without the barcode sticker, we are unable to identify your card. This is why the card is missing the flash memory.

To identify your Intel Network Card, look for the 6-digit board (PWA) number on the list of Retail Intel Ethernet Adapter to find the adapter model.

The board number of Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 should be G15139-xxx.

Example:

Reference Website: http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-012904.htm Network Connectivity — Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapter PCI Device ID and Part Number List

The adapter model with Board# C80235 is Intel® PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter.

IamGimli, As of the moment, I would suggest to try to talk to Amazon about your network card, in case they continue to be unhelpful, feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
BLeli
Beginner

Thank you both for your help. Guess I'll be more careful about these in the future.

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi IamGimli,

Glad to help. Yup, it pays to be extra careful when you buy things online. Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos