Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Updated version of EEUPDATE or IBAUTIL for I219-V?

bobjohnson1
Beginner

Long story short: my new motherboard with an I219-V ethernet controller is giving me the following error when trying to boot into any FreeBSD OS (such as PFsense), and the error prevents the OS from booting.

em0: <Intel(R) I219-V ADL(17)> mem [address]

em0: The EEPROM Checksum Is Not Valid

em0: IFDI_ATTACH_PRE failed 5

I've found various reports of people being able to fix this by essentially forcing the controller to update or recalculate its own checksum, but they used the EEPROM or IBAUTIL utilities for this. These are quite old, and don't seem compatible with any modern version of Windows. It appears to be impossible to boot into an older version, or into FreeDOS, on this modern hardware with integrated graphics.

Is there any remedy for this? Any newish versions of these tools that might run on Windows 10, for instance?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello bobjohnson1,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issue with your hardware. We hope you don't mind sharing the following information that would help in checking your request. 

1. When was the issue first encountered?

2. Brand and model of your motherboard

3. Can you share your intended setup on your hardware?

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
bobjohnson1
Beginner
1) A couple of days ago. It worked until I shut the machine down to move it.

2) Gigabyte H610i

3) Core i3-12100 with 16GB of RAM and an dual port Intel PCIe NIC
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello bobjohnson1,

Thank you for the swift reply. 

Can you share additional information below so we can better understand your setup and request. 

1. For how long did it work? You mentioned that the issue only occurred after moving the system(shut down). Can you confirm if you are shutting the system down everyday?

2. We understand that this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded with Gigabyte system. For Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, we'd like to set your expectation that we might have a limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with Gigabyte for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. But don't worry as we are still trying to provide our best effort support on this one. 

3. We already asked you about your intended setup but our question was not direct to the point. With this, can you share more details on your system setup. What are you trying to achieve, and purpose of your setup. This is for our reference only

4. You mentioned that you have a dual port Intel PCIe NIC. Can you confirm if you are referring to your Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-V? If no, do you have another Intel adapter installed on your system. If yes, can you share the model of your PCIe adapter?

Looking forward to your reply. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
bobjohnson1
Beginner
1) It worked for a few days. The system generally runs 24/7.
2) I have contacted Gigabyte, but have not yet received a response.
3) Intended for use as a router / firewall.
4) I have another adapter installed. It is an Intel Pro/1000 with 82571 chipset.
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello bobjohnson1,

Appreciate your prompt reply. 

While we are escalating this query to our engineers, can you confirm if the issue is only with I219-V and doesn't occur on Intel Pro/1000 with 82571 chipset?

Hoping to hear from you soon.  

Should there be no reply, I’ll make sure to reach out on after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
bobjohnson1
Beginner
The issue is only with the I219-V and occurs whether or not the other NIC is installed.
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello bobjohnson1,

Good day and thank you for the confirmation that the issue is only with I219-V.

Please allow us to further check on this request. We will give you an update as soon as there is any findings but no later than 3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello bobjohnson1,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please see below feedback from our engineering and let us know if you have questions or clarifications.

The i219-V is an LAN on Motherboard (LOM) and does not support FreeBSD anymore. Please visit this link for Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Ethernet Controllers (LOM)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055236/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

We highly suggest contacting motherboard manufacturer Gigabyte because they are still best of support. You may also check them if the board supports FreeBSD and if they have driver for the 1219-V.

Gigabyte support

https://www.gigabyte.com/

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello bobjohnson1,

I hope you're having a good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you received our previous reply. If yes, please confirm and let us know if there is any other assistance needed on this matter. Otherwise, kindly confirm if we can proceed with closure. 

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello bobjohnson1,

Good day!

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos