Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Using an Intel X710-DA2 Dual 10Gbe SFP+ card on SuperMicro H11SSL-i

ThorstenStein
Beginner
Problem: When booting system with SFP+ cables plugged into Intel NIC, error appears during Firmware intialization: "PXE-E0C: Firmware recovery mode detected. Initialization failed." Card is unusable afterwards in OS. Card is initialized fine if no cables are present during boot phase, though. MB has most recent firmware already. Tried various FW versions for Intel card, tried various SFP+ manufacturer (including original Intel, validated for this NIC). Tested Firmware Versions for Intel Card: - v6.01 (initial) - upgrade to v8.40 - downgrade to v7.20 Supecting possible incompatibilities between X710-DA2 and SuperMicro H11SSL-i in general? Kind regards, Thorsten
0 Kudos
43 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorsten,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issue with your Intel X710-DA2 Dual 10Gbe SFP+ card. "PXE-E0C: Firmware recovery mode detected. Initialization failed." indicates that the adapter is in firmware recovery mode.

For us to further check on your query, kindly provide the following details.

1. When was the issue first encountered? Is it during initial integration? If no, for how long did the Ethernet worked fine?

2. Is there any software or hardware changes prior to issue?

3. PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

4. Just to confirm, does the error appears during POST? 

5. When you also mentioned 'Card is unusable afterwards in OS', does this mean that the card isn't being detected on OS?

6. Can you share the OS you used for our record purposes?

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

ThorstenStein
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

thanks for your quick reply!

1. We encountered the problem during initial integration. Today we tested the network card on an older SuperMicro Board (PCIe 2, no EFI) without any errors.
  2. No.
  3. The PBA is J11367.
  4. The error message appeared during POST with Legacy BIOS PCIe option and EFI PCIe option.
  5. The i40e linux driver show both NICs but "ip link" is unable to configure any interfaces because there are no interfaces available.
    dmesg log:
    # dmesg -T | grep i40e
    [Tue Aug 24 13:33:24 2021] i40e: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection XL710 Network Driver
    [Tue Aug 24 13:33:24 2021] i40e: Copyright (c) 2013 - 2019 Intel Corporation.
    [Tue Aug 24 13:33:28 2021] i40e 0000:61:00.0: Firmware recovery mode detected. Limiting functionality.
    [Tue Aug 24 13:33:28 2021] i40e 0000:61:00.0: Refer to the Intel(R) Ethernet Adapters and Devices User Guide for details on firmware recovery mode.
    [Tue Aug 24 13:33:28 2021] i40e 0000:61:00.0: fw 7.2.60285 api 1.9 nvm 7.20 0x8000794b 1.2585.0 [8086:1572] [8086:0007]
    [Tue Aug 24 13:33:28 2021] i40e 0000:61:00.0: capability discovery failed, err OK aq_err I40E_AQ_RC_EMODE
    [Tue Aug 24 13:33:32 2021] i40e 0000:61:00.1: Firmware recovery mode detected. Limiting functionality.
    [Tue Aug 24 13:33:32 2021] i40e 0000:61:00.1: Refer to the Intel(R) Ethernet Adapters and Devices User Guide for details on firmware recovery mode.
    [Tue Aug 24 13:33:32 2021] i40e 0000:61:00.1: fw 7.2.60285 api 1.9 nvm 7.20 0x8000794b 1.2585.0 [8086:1572] [8086:0000]
    [Tue Aug 24 13:33:32 2021] i40e 0000:61:00.1: capability discovery failed, err OK aq_err I40E_AQ_RC_EMODE​
  6. Debian 11 Bullseye (Kernel 5.11.22-3)

Best regards,
Thorsten

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorsten,

You're welcome. Appreciate your swift response. 

Before we proceed with troubleshooting steps, can you please check below items with Supermicro?

1. Have you tried confirming with Supermicro if Intel X710-DA2 is validated on their motherboard? 

2. Will you be able to check with them if there any known issue with Intel X710-DA2 installed on SuperMicro H11SSL-i? We received query before similar to this one but customer is using Supermicro H12SSW-NT.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/X710-Recover-Mode-after-FreeBSD-Update/m-p/1265051#M24492

Please also check if the Intel X710-DA2 has any Yottamark or BradyID sticker attached on the physical card? If yes, please share the code with us. These stickers are authentication labels. You may refer to link below for more information on YottaMark* and BradyID* Stickers on Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007074/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-adapters-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Once we confirmed that you are using an Intel Retail version of adapter and Supermicro confirmed that there is no known issue and the card is fully validated with their board, we will suggest trying out the steps from link below and refer to the “Firmware Recovery Mode” section of the document for details.

Adapter User Guide for Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19373/adapter-user-guide-for-intel-ethernet-adapters.html

Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Update Utility for Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter 700 Series

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18190/24769/non-volatile-memory-nvm-update-utility-for-intel-ethernet-network-adapter-700-series.html

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
ThorstenStein
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

1. we are in contact with SuperMicro and they send us a custom bios version which unfortunately do not work. We have no information that the board do not support the card.

2. we did't found any comparable reports about problems with this card, the solution from your cited thread is to switch to an older card (x520). We thought about this solution already but like get the newer more powerfull card working.

There is a BradyID Sticker with following ID 911691887650

The driver error Message ist "Firmware recovery mode detected. Limiting functionality.", we waited 10 Minutes but the recovery mode won't disappear. A Reboot also not resolved the Problem. (Bios Post Error message is "PXE-E0C: Firmware recovery mode detected. Initialization failed." )
To clarify, the problem only appears when DAC Cables are plugged in (we tested it with an original Intel DAC cable 603830005 and third party DAC cable).

To the NVM Update, we tested following firmwares

1. v6.01 (initial)
  2. upgrade to v8.40
  3. downgrade to v7.20

Kind regards,
Thorsten

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorsten,

Thank you for prompt reply and trying out the recommended steps.

Please allow us to further investigate this request with our engineers. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorsten,

Good day!

Please be informed that we are still checking on your request. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as we heard from our engineers but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorsten,

We sincerely apologize for the delay and inconvenience that this has brought you. 

We hope you don't mind giving us additional time on this as this request is still under investigation. Rest assured that we will give you an update once we heard from our engineers but no later than 2-3 business days. 

We highly appreciate your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
ThorstenStein
Beginner

Hi Chrisselle,

thanks for the update!

Kind regards,
Thorsten

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorsten,

You're welcome. Appreciate your kind understanding on this matter.

Due to complexity of the issue, we need more time for further checking. We will get back to you as soon as we heard from our engineers but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Again, our sincerest apologies for the delay. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorsten,

Apologies for the delay on this matter. 

Kindly refer to below update from our engineering team.

After series of verification, this could be related with X710 adapter card and SuperMicro H11SSL-i compatibility as the issue or the error did not appear when the same card was tested on old SuperMicro motherboard. We highly suggest coordinating again with board manufacturer (Supermicro) to check compatibility issue.

Services and Support

https://www.supermicro.com/en/support

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications. 

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorsten,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you read our update. If yes, kindly confirm and let us know if you are able to contact Supermicro for further assistance on this matter. 

If you have questions or clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask.

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ThorstenStein
Beginner

Hi Chrissele,

thanks for your furhter inquiry!

We got a replacement card for testing from our disributor but got the same error with the new card.

We also stand in contact with SuperMicro.
They wrote us that there are known issues between x710 cards and SuperMicro Mainboards with AMD CPUs. For their own x710 branded cards they solved some problems through firmware updates for the card. But because this is a Intel branded card, they have no firmware updates.

We informed SuperMicro about the replacement card and the results yesterday.

Are there any posibillities to debug the post boot process of the card to get more detailed logs?

Kind regards,
Thorsten

0 Kudos
ghyiou
Beginner

The system restore worked for me. I just recently bought a new gaming laptop and it was working fine but I dont know what happened, maybe I just updated a driver, and then it suddenly gave me the blue screen of death.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorsten,

Thank you for the update.

Please allow us to forward this update to our engineers and ask for their feedback. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorsten,

I hope you are doing good!

Please be informed that we already re-escalated this request and we are currently waiting for the feedback from our engineering team. We will give you an update as soon as we heard from them but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorsten,

Good day!

This is just an update to inform you that this request is still under investigation. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Thank you for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorsten,

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the delay and inconvenience that this has caused. 

We'd like to inform you that we are still actively working on this issue with our higher level Engineers. We understand your frustration regarding this issue and we are doing our best to sort this out as soon as possible. Rest assured that we will keep you posted and get back to you within 2-3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorstein, 

We apologize for the delay on this matter. 

We hope you don't mind giving us additional time as this request is still under investigation. We will give you an update as soon as we heard from our engineers but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind understanding.

Hello ghyiou,

Good day!

If in case you are encountering a different issue on your system using a different model of Ethernet adapter, we highly suggest posting a new question on link below for further assistance.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/bd-p/ethernet-products

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorstein, 

Good day!

We sincerely apologize for the delay on this matter as we are thoroughly checking on this. Please give us more time to look into this. Rest assured that we will update you as soon as there is any findings but not later than 2-3 business days

Thank you for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Thorstein, 

How are you doing?

We'd like to inform you that we are still actively working on this issue with our higher level Engineers. We apologize if this is taking longer and rest assured that we are doing our best to sort this out as soon as possible. We will keep you posted and get back to you no later than 2-3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos