Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

VLAN Configuration not Persisting across reboots, Win1020H2 since Jan Updates

TBThreatSTOP
Novice

Ever since the January Patches, VLAN configuration is not persisting for my I211 on-board ethernet controller on my ASUS Prime TRX-40 Pro.
This means I have to reconfigure all virtual NICs every time I reboot.
I am running Hyper-V and VMWare WS16, as well as Windows Services for Linux. This leads to patch and reboot taking over an hour.

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎7/‎16/‎2020
OS build 19042.804
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

0 Kudos
15 Replies
TBThreatSTOP
Novice

Further Info, running the ProSET and Drivers 25.6, 12/18/2020. The 26 driver pack doesn't have a more recent driver for this device.

Msconfig file attached

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello TBThreatSTOP,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Can you share the link of your latest driver?
  2. What will happen if you revert back to your previous driver version?
  3. Have you tried contacting Asus regarding this issue?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello TBThreatSTOP,

I hope you are having a good day. I just want to make a follow up on the information that we requested below:

1. Can you share the link of your latest driver?
  2. What will happen if you revert back to your previous driver version?
  3. Have you tried contacting Asus regarding this issue?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TBThreatSTOP
Novice

Driver 25.6:
Download Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

The prior driver version did not support Windows 10 20H2, which is why I use this driver. This driver was working fine until late January, when rebooting started to cause all VLAN configurations to disappear.
I did uninstall and reinstall the driver. That did not resolve the issue.

What happened then was I installed WSL V2.0 and did the windows preview patches.

I have not contacted ASUS, since the driver that was working before was the one from your site, and it appears to have some incompatibility with WSL and/or the recent windows patches.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello TBThreatSTOP,

Thank you for providing the details that we requested.

The drivers that we have are just generic drivers that will work for Intel retails Ethernet cards. Since your card is onboard, it is best to contact Asus for them to provide the appropriate driver for your system.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TBThreatSTOP
Novice

This is a complete cop out. The drivers you provide are the ones we need to use to make VLANs work. The manufacturers do not update their drivers as you update yours, and the ones they have at release do not support more recent operating system releases.
Please escalate this to someone who:

a: Actually cares about solving the issues instead of closing tickets.

b: understands that this issue is not caused by differences between retail boards and on-board, but an incompatibility between your drivers and recent MS software.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello TBThreatSTOP,

I am sorry if you feel that way. I will escalate this issue for further checking, however, let me gather your SSU first for us to further investigation. Please send your SSU via direct message to me.

1- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

2- Open SSU.exe

3- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

4- When finished scanning, click "Next".

5- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello TBThreatSTOP,

We are reviewing this case and all the information that you posted. We understand that you already mentioned that version 26 does not have a more recent pack however this is the latest that we have and fixed most of the issue encountered by our customer's including onboard network cards.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack

Please try version 26 and if you are still having issues, kindly tell us what happened and also extract the SSU that we requested on our previous post.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello TBThreatSTOP,

I hope you are having a good day. We just want to check if you tried our last recommendation.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TBThreatSTOP
Novice

I had to wait until I could shut the system down. It's a lab and QA box, so I can't just power if off as I please.

Some combination of the latest set of MS updates and the Version 26 driver package you recommended made VLANs persist across reboots.

Do you still need me to get you diagnostic data?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello TBThreatSTOP,

We understand and this is usually the case for servers, just tell us if you need more time.

The reason why we are doing this is because we are trying to troubleshoot the issue since this is very unusual behavior and we don't have a direct fix as of now. That's why we need to gather data and some troubleshooting steps. However, if this is risky or if you need more time to do it, just tell us for us to know the situation.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello TBThreatSTOP,

We just want to make a soft follow up to ask when can you provide an update since you mentioned that you need more time.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello TBThreatSTOP,

I am just sending another follow up to check if you tried our last recommendation. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TBThreatSTOP
Novice

As I said in my last post, the driver you linked to worked. VLANs persist across reboots now.

I was asking if you still needed further information from me.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello TBThreatSTOP,

We apologize for the miscommunication and we are happy to hear that the latest driver resolved their issue.

We will be closing the case but if you have further inquiries, kindly post a new question and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos