Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies

VLAN Support

DPott7
Beginner

​Hi Intel,

Genuine question about future support for VLAN configurations. I work in IT and have 1 particular, rather old project that I inherited that is extremely dependant on VLAN configuration in order to separate it from the main network within the company.

This same configuration is used throughout 3 other sites across the world to which I of course don't have manual access to.

Now i'm more inclined to blame Microsoft more than Intel, as this only happens when Microsoft pushes an update to Intel drivers and breaks VLAN confgurations...but correct me if i'm wrong, aren't Microsoft/Intel working together when it comes to these updates? Why are Microsoft pushing updates to YOUR devices, and YOUR software causing constant malfunctions to VLAN configurations?

Why is the only fix to uninstall/reinstall the drivers because the breakage has botched the VLANS and got them stuck. I can understand this happening once....maybe even twice, but i'm now on a 4th occurrence of broken VLANs due to a Microsoft update push.

Are you guys aware that to reinstall a network adapter I need local access? To do this worldwide on remote sites, is more than an inconvenience, just for the simple fact that testing is obviously not being carried out.

My question is, is someone doing something about this, whether it's in Microsoft or Intel to reduce these problems? Or should I perhaps find another provider that isn't going to reliably provide with me errors on a by-monthly basis.

This occurrence has even prevented installation of any drivers at all?!2019-03-25_13h38_22.bmp

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mike_Intel
Hello DPott7, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Let me further check all of these and I will get back you as soon as I have an update. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello DPott7, Thank you for waiting, here are some of the things that I gathered regarding your inquiry. 1. Regarding your comment about Microsoft pushing the update to Intel, let me share the latest communication regarding ANS issue and Windows 10 1809 posted in this link - https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004GdeWSSAZ/team-and-vlan-configuration-issues-for-microsoft-windows-10-1809-rs5-will-be-resolved-in-the-next-sw-release I have pasted here the information that you may find helpful on how Intel works on the latest Windows 10 update. Note: The Intel Ethernet Team is responsible for validating and submitting new driver packages to Microsoft for inclusion on Windows Update. Microsoft does not support Team and VLAN configuration on Window 10. Team and VLAN configuration for Intel Ethernet Adapters on Windows 10 is supported via our Intel® PROSet software. Intel® PROSet is not included on Microsoft Windows Update. 2. Regarding your comment about the uninstall/reinstall drivers to fix issues. Thank you for sharing this to us, I will forward this as your comment/suggestion. 3. And lastly regarding driver installation error, please provide the following information for us to help you troubleshoot the problem: a. Any changes done on the system prior to encountering the driver installation error? b. What is the SW package used to install the driver? c. Please download the System Support Utility from the link below, and attach a log file for us to investigate this issue. * Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- * Open SSU.exe * Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan". * When finished scanning, click "Next". * Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello DPott7, I just want to make a follow up on the information that I requested for me to further check this issue. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello DPott7, Just want to make a follow up on the information that we requested. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello DPott7, I just want to check if you have further questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos