Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

VLAN tagging on PRO 1000 MT adapter

BCobl1
Beginner

I have a VM (VMWare virtual machine) on which I installed Windows 7. The default Network Adapters are Intel(R) PRO 1000 MT for which I'm trying to configure VLAN tagging. I downloaded the latest version of PROWinx64.exe and when I run it, it eventually throws the error, "No Intel adapters present..."

Despite the adapters appearing in the Device Manager

When I try to update the drivers, Windows tells me, "The best driver software for your device is already installed."

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Dear Imatinkerer,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

You are getting the error message because our latest driver pack doesn't support the Intel® PRO/1000 MT Server Adapter. This adapter model uses the driver available in MS Windows* 7 (In-box driver). Please refer to website below for more information on adapters with Windows 7 driver support:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-030613.htm Network Connectivity — Is My Intel® Ethernet Adapter Supported in Microsoft Windows 7*?

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
BCobl1
Beginner

The link provided above proposes the following solution (copy and pasted from Intel's web page):

Intel® Ethernet Adapters can have full support, in-box only support, or both, for Microsoft Windows 7*.

1 In-box only
  • In-box means the drivers are supplied with Microsoft Windows.
  • Driver and software updates are not available for adapters that are in-box only.
  • Intel® PROSet for Windows Device Manager and Advanced Network Services (ANS) driver for teaming and VLANS are not included with in-box support.
  • You might be able to add an adapter with in-box support to a team using multi-vendor teaming (MVT). See the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&DwnldID=11848 user guide for MVT considerations.

2 Full support

The Download Center is a generic area wherein I must search for the driver for the product. (going in circles)

The Intel Driver Update Utility yielded the message,

The Manual Download takes me to a page where I can get PROWIN32 (not helpful).

Is there a simple, direct instruction on getting "Full Support" for these Ethernet Adapters?

0 Kudos