Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4871 Discussions

VM's mgmt (VIRTIO) interface goes down when runs DPDK riot with SRIOV VF

Pmaru
Beginner

Hello All,

I am facing an issue where I am running OVS+DPDK on my host machine to provide networking between VM's. Additionally, I am using a separate NIC to provide SRIOV VF's to VM.

When I launch a VM with a combination of VIRTIO (mgmt - eth0 interface) + SRIOV-VF (data plane interface), I am noticing that when GUEST VM'S DPDK RIOT starts running with VF NIC as one of the nic card, the VM loses connectivity over other virtio interfaces. I have verified that Guest VM's dpdk is only binding the given VF and other VirtIO based NIC cards are managed by Kernel Driver.

Though, the VF NIC on the host machine is added to DPDK managed NICS on the host machine. Please note, the PF is still part of kernel managed nic cards.

Upon further debugging, I have noticed that, as soon as the DPDK RIOT starts running inside the Guest VM, the OVS+DPDK (running on host) removes the other Virtio Ports.

Host VM : RHEL7.2 - Guest VM - WRL6

Please let me know, if any further information is needed.

Thanks

Pratik

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Pratik,

Welcome back to Intel Wired Communities.

Please be informed for DPDK-related questions, kindly submit it through the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/support/ips/training/welcome.html Intel® Premier Support. Click the "Login and Access" to contact the DPDK support.

If you experience any issues with the access, please visit this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/my-intel/sign-in-help-idam.html link for support options.

Best Regards,

Vince T.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Pratik,

Please let us know if you were able to get assistance from Intel® Premier Support. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Vince T.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos