Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

WOL Restarts after receiving multiple magic packets

alexmudri
Beginner

If while computer is awake, and wake on magic packet under device manager for intel i219-v is "Enabled", and then I send magic packet requests to wake computer, and then set it to "Disabled", then after shutdown the computer doesn't restart (we already knew this).

If while computer is awake, wake on magic packet under device manager for intel i219-v is "Disabled", and then I send magic packet requests to wake computer, and then set it to "Enabled" before shutdown, the computer doesn't restart after shutdown!

Interestingly if while computer is awake, and wake on magic packet under device manager for intel i219-v is "Enabled", and then I send magic packet requests to wake computer, and then set it to "Disabled", save, then set it to "Enabled" again before shutdown, the computer still restarts.

So basically the magic packet request gets "queued" whenever it is received while computer is awake ONLY IF the wake on magic packet setting is enabled at the time the magic packet is received (again indicating this is likely a network card related function, because it has to do with the properties of the network card under device manager).

Repost, same problem, any solutions?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello alexmudri,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Kindly provide the following information that would help us to better understand your request. 

1. Can you share why do you need to enable then disable again the Wake on Magic Packet under device manager for Intel I219-V? Is this just for your testing purposes?

2. When did you purchased the system? Is it newly build or has been working fine for few months?

3. What would be the usage of your system and what are you trying to achieve/configure.

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
alexmudri
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Thank you for the fast reply,

1. Yes this was for testing purposes.

2. I'm not sure on the exact date of purchase. The system has been working fine for a few years already. Firstly using it when I have just one Magic Packet telling my computer to wake up and after I was done telling it to shut down. This worked fine and still does.

3. I'm using Wake On Lan with Magic Packet's in my Echo routines to turn on and off the pc.

I encountered the problem whenever I had multiple routines telling my computer to wake up, when it was already turned on/awake.

So it seems like (just as stated before) that there is some kind of queue that the packet gets put into, and it gets activated the next time my computer shuts down (by Magic Packet or hand) making it reboot in about ~ 5 seconds after it tell it to shut down.

I'm trying to figure out, if I can have the Magic Packet de-queued whenever it is already turned on or if it is possible to make sure it doesn't receive the Magic Packet to turn on whenever it already is.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello alexmudri,

Appreciate the time you have taken to provide me with all of the details. 

Please allow us to further check your request internally. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello alexmudri,

Thank you for the patience.

Please see below feedback from our higher level support and feel free to let us know should you have questions or clarifications. 

We noticed that you are using Driver Version:"12.19.1.35", can you try the latest 26.6 driver package with driver version 12.19.1.37 by performing clean driver installation? Kindly provide us an update once done. If issue persists, we will further check this request with our engineers.

Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

Clean Driver Installation Guide for Intel® Ethernet Connections

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/ethernet-products.html

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
alexmudri
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Thank you for your reply,

I have followed your instructions to do a clean driver installation and put the settings back as they were supposed to be, but this has sadly not resolved the issue.

Best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Alex,

Good day!

Apologies for the delay on our response. We have acknowledged your reply last November 16 and unfortunately our update was not successfully posted due to downtime.

Please be informed that we already escalated this request to our higher level engineers for further checking since November 16. We are still waiting an update from them and rest assured that we will get back to you as soon as we heard from them but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
alexmudri
Beginner
Hi Crisselle,

It has been a while since I last heard from you..
Is there any update regarding this issue?

I hope to hear from you soon

Best regards,

Alex
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Alex,

Apologies for the delay on our update. 

This request is still escalated to our higher level engineers. We understand that this is taking longer than expected and we hope you don't mind giving us additional time with the investigation. Rest assured that we will post on this thread as soon as we heard an update from our engineers but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Thank you for your kind patience and cooperation on this matter.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
alexmudri
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

No worries, I just didn't wanna be forgotten

Thank you for your effort in resolving this issue for me, I really do appreciate it.

Best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Alex,

You're most welcome. Appreciate your kind understanding on this matter. 

Please be informed that this request is still under investigation. We will give you an update as soon as we received an update from our engineers but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Thank you for your kind patience and please accept our sincerest apologies for the delay. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Alex,

Good day!

We'd like to inform you that we are still actively working on this issue with our higher level Engineers. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the delay on this and rest assured that we will give you an update no later than 2-3 business days for the status of your request.

Thank you for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Alex,

I hope this message finds you well!

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the delay on this matter. This request is still under investigation by our engineers. We are still waiting an update from them and rest assured that we will let you know once we heard from them. Please expect another email no later than 3 business days for the status of your query. 

Thank you for your kind patience and understanding. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Alex,

How are you doing? 

We are sending this message to inform you that this request is still escalated and under investigation. Rest assured that we will keep you posted on the status on this request and send another update no later than 3 business days. 

Appreciate your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
alexmudri
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Thank you for being active in updating this post on your progress.

I am doing good, thank you for asking. I also hope you are doing well.

I am following this thread awaiting for your engineering team to come up with a solution if at all possible.

I wish you and your colleagues the best wishes going into the holidays and I would like to thank you again for helping me.

Best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Alex,

No problem at all. It's been a pleasure helping you out on this request. 

We are glad to hear that you are doing good as well. Hope you are having an amazing week so far.

We appreciate your kind patience and cooperation on this matter. We are also actively monitoring this request and closely making a follow up to our engineers. Rest assured that we will get back to you once we heard from them. Please expect another update for the status of this request no later than 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Alex,

Good day!

We'd like to inform you that we are still actively working on this issue with our higher level Engineers. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as we heard from them but no later than 3-4 business days.

May you have an amazing week!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Alex,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to apologize for the delay and for any inconveniences since we will not be able to provide any updates as of the moment. We'd also like to inform you that we are still actively working on this issue with our higher level Engineers. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as we heard from them but no later than 3-4 business days.

Thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day. Happy holidays!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Alex,

As per advised by our engineers, this is not a common usage or practice on how the WOL works. It is arguable whether this is a bug however this should have a solution.

Before the system shuts down, the BIOS should be able to clean up wake status bit to avoid this. What we would recommend is to reach Asus Support team to further investigate your BIOS since this is pertaining to a BIOS issue.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Alex,

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello alexmudri,

Hope you are doing well.

We are following up on your question on this thread. Since we have not received an update from you for a few days, we will now close this thread. Feel free to post a new question in the forums if you have additional queries as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos