Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

WOL issue with I225-V (3)

Scort
Beginner

When configuring WOL on my PC(Z690 with Intel I225-V (3) Ethernet Controller), I encountered a problem.

The link speed during Standby(S3) or Power Off(S5) reduces to 10Mbps, while the 2.5GbE LAN port of my router(ROG GT-AX6000) seems does not support such a low link speed. Thus, the NIC cannot establish connection with my router, and the WOL won't work in this situation.

For my last PC, it had a Realtek 1GbE NIC with an option in settings that can keep full link speed of 1Gbps during S3 even S5.  Is it possible for I225-V?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

As per further checking with our engineers, we regret to inform you that there is no existing plan to include the said request on our future updates of driver or firmware.

Regarding the "RCR 1308305858" this is a change request number on which we started to implement default link setting to 10Mbps during system boot and S3, S4, S5 to accommodate to Energy Star requirement.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Since you are using an embedded ethernet controller for your Z690 mother board, can you also share us the exact model of your board?

We'd like to set your expectation that for Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet controller, we have a limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with the manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. But don't worry as we will still provide our best effort support to help you resolve the issue. 

Can we also request for your SSU log so we can have a look on your system.

Please follow the steps below to generate your SSU:

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

*Windows

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?product=91600

*Linux

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?

2. Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Note: Please put a tick on "Everything" when scanning the log

Also just needing to ask if you are getting any error message? If so can you advise us the error that you are receiving.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Scort
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

Thanks for your reply.

The mother board is MSI MAG z690 Tomahawk Wifi (DDR5). And I just posted a question for this issue on the MSI's website.

Requested SSU file is in the attachment.

Regards,

Scort

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

Thank you very much for providing us the requested information. Please provide us some time to have this check before we can provide you our recommendations. Would it be okay if we can provide an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

Please try changing the Link Speed & Duplex from Auto Negotiation to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex. This is under Advance tab of the Network Properties then test. If this does not work, please try uninstalling the current or latest driver installed then try the lower version 27.2 if it will resolve the issue.

Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/727979/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

If issue is still persistent, please provide us again the latest SSU log. Also just needing to remind that this is only our best effort recommendation, the motherboard manufacturer would still be the best source of support.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Scort
Beginner

Hi  Zigfreid,

I  had already tried these method, and they did not go well.

The S3/S5 Link speed seems not related to the Link Speed & Duplex setting.

And I tried driver version 1.0.1.4(From Asus, don't have wake option), 1.0.2.13(27.2? Using) and the mentioned 27.3(Seems no difference in functions but not compatible with PROSet software).

I was wondering if there is a way to solve this problem by modify the NVM module.

Regards,

Scort

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

Thank you for advising us, we will try to check if we can still provide any further recommendation on our end. Please provide us some time to check. Would it be okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days for this. If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

As per checking on the SSU log, you are using driver version "1.0.2.13". This seems to be the driver of Asus not Intel's since if you have installed driver version 27.2 it would reflect as "1.0.2.22" instead. 

Please try to do a clean state drive first and then re-install again driver version 27.2.

Clean Driver Installation Guide for Intel® Ethernet Connections

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/ethernet-products.html

Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/727979/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

If issue is still persistent, please provide us again the latest SSU log so we can double check if our driver version 27.2 (1.0.2.22) would be reflecting that it has been installed correctly. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Scort
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

I performed the steps you suggested and tried 1Gbps Full Duplex option with driver version 27.2, but it did not work as expected.

Regards,

Scort

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

Thank you for advising us and for providing an updated log, we will try to check if we can still provide any further recommendations on our end. Please provide us some time to check. Would it be okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days for this. If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

Firstly we do apologize for the delays and for any inconvenience that we have caused as the case was being further reviewed by our engineers. 

We have received an update and was advised by our engineers that the behavior that you are experiencing is by designed/expected for the I225.

When the system enters S3, S4, S5, the LAN device must downshift the link speed to the speed which consumes minimal power (i.e., 10Mbps) according to Energy Star requirement.

In I225 NVM 1.73 and later version (i.e., 1.82), we implemented RCR 1308305858 that LAN device can only link at 10Mbps in S3, S4, S5.

The I225 device can't connect at 2.5G, 1G, 100M in S3, S4, S5 based on firmware design.

On this case, you may need to test it with a device that are able to accommodate such speed and check again if WOL is able to work.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Scort
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any possibility that you guys put a switch on this in future driver or firmware? 

It's really a pain in the neck for me.

BTW, what is RCR 1308305858?

Regards,

Scort

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

Thank you for responding. Regarding on your follow up concern, we do apologize however we cannot make any guarantees if this will be added on future updates. You can check on our site from time to time for the new updates and see the release notes for the updates or changes that has been made instead. 

For the "RCR 1308305858" we will have this check with our engineers, please provide us some time to have this check. Would it be okay if we can ask for 2-3 business days for this? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

As per further checking with our engineers, we regret to inform you that there is no existing plan to include the said request on our future updates of driver or firmware.

Regarding the "RCR 1308305858" this is a change request number on which we started to implement default link setting to 10Mbps during system boot and S3, S4, S5 to accommodate to Energy Star requirement.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
shamu
Beginner

Dear Zigfreid

We have the same problem with this nic. I work for a university and we have a lot of these nics. Our networks switches also do not support 10Mbit anymore, which also results in the problem, that wol is not working on these computers.

I don't understand why there is now removed the option "Reduce Speed On Power Down" from Windows drivers settings?

Please make this option available again for the i225-v nic.

Many thanks

shamu

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

Since you have marked and accepted our solution can we ask if we can already close the thread if you have no other concerns? Please do advise us. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Scort,

Since you have marked and accepted our solution and we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups if you have other concerns, we will now proceed in closing the case. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
andrescm
Novice

Hello,

If you don't mind, may I ask you how did you find out your adapter speed was 10Mbps in S3/S5 states?. Did you use any specific diagnostic hardware?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Scort
Beginner

Hi,

I found it in the log of my Asus router.

Regards.

0 Kudos