Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

Wake on Lan not working on driver higher than 1.0.1.4 for Intel l225-V

solemgar
Novice

Hello all!

I have a B-550F Asus ROG gaming motherboard with an Intel l225-V. With driver 1.0.1.4 from manufacturer wake on lan works fine. If I upgrade to the manufacturer version 1.0.2.8 WOL stops to work. Exactly same settings on the BIOS, no change. The same happens upgrading to the latest driver available in the intel page for this adapter (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/184676/Intel-Ethernet-Controller-I225-V, 26.3).

Has anyone experienced this issue?

0 Kudos
136 Replies
C128
New Contributor I

No, mine is still doing it. Intel and Asus just play dumb, and don't want to test this. I thought it was my cable but I don't think it is. Given you have the exact same thing, it has to be a software bug in the i225-v's firmware. Not receiving a shutdown signal correctly from the OS or losing some state that's important for WoL. Given it works when clearing the NVRAM. I've used WoL for 15 years now, I know how to configure it, and never had a problem across 4 or 5 motherboards until now. The i225v is just a massive unsupported failure and now I'm stuck with one.

Don't have any good news for you, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
tap77
New Contributor I

Hi,

I see. Thank you for the update!

0 Kudos
tap77
New Contributor I

Hi,

I think i finally have some  good news on this matter. I've been in contact with asus support and in the beginning they wouldn't help me, but after continuously "bothering" and referring to threads that discuss the issue, including this one, they finally seem to have acknowledged that this is a real problem.

This is the reply i got from asus a couple of minutes ago:   

getarobo
Novice

Hey any update after contacting with Asus and Intel?

I am having similar problem with Asus TuF gaming z590-plus board. 1.0.1.4, 1.0.2.8, 1.0.2,14 none of the driver worked.

Hope to hear from yall soon! thanks!

0 Kudos
tap77
New Contributor I

Hi,

I contacted Asus again 5 of November for new status and this is the reply i got:

unnamed.jpg

So intel is working on the issue. I'll try to get new information since it's been a while since i heard from Asus. I'll update this thread whenb i hear from them

0 Kudos
tap77
New Contributor I

Hi,

Just a small update. I got an e-mail from Asus yesterday that contained a unofficial BIOS they want me to test. I installed it yesterday and I will test WOL everyday for 2 weeks before I contact Asus again with the end result. 

FYI: The BIOS i received is not 1202 that was launched today, at ASUS support side for strix 590.

I will post in this forum again when there's any new information

Wolatile
Novice
Hey Tap77,

I just registered just to say thank you for your dedication on this topic!

I have a z590 Tuf gaming plus wifi and none of the mentioned drivers worked for me. I used to wake my PC from S5 for years... but this issue makes the purchase of the new mainboard feel like an downgrade, honestly. This feature is utterly important for me so i sincerely hope you have some success for the remaining 4 days...

if I can contribute in any way to the solution of the problem, please do not hesitate to let me know.

(still working on my english! Sorry for any hickups!)

Regards,
Wolatile
tap77
New Contributor I

Hi,

Thank you. I just want it fixed, as everyone else. I do have good news! Since I write the last post, WOL has been working flawlessly everyday! Asus also gave me more information meanwhile. 

Intel have been looking into this after getting more specific information about the problem from Asus, reported from me and other customers. They then found what they believe/suspect is causing the problem and reported this back to Asus with necessary changes that was implemented in the test bios.

However, Intel/Asus are not a 100% sure that changes they did would fix the problem, that's why they needed customers to test their suspicion. It does seem like the problem is solved in my end since the problem has not occurred not even once since I installed the test BIOS. 

Asus told me that they will implement the changes to ethernet controller in a official BIOS after getting feedback from all the customers that received the test BIOS. I also asked if I could share this test BIOS with others in the same boat as me. I'm still waiting for an answer regarding this, but i will report back when i get an answer.

Anyway, it seems like the problem finally will be fixed, sooner or later

Wolatile
Novice

Wow! Very good News! Thank you so much for letting us know! 

I will continue to read with interest.

Hopefully Asus will allow you to share the Test Bios as i really want to try it!

Have a good one!

tap77
New Contributor I

Hi,

Don't mention it! WOL not working was frustrating. As you mentioned, it felt like a downgrade from my old z390-f. I hope Asus allows sharing the test BIOS aswell. 

A good one to you too!

C128
New Contributor I

If your contact has a test bios for the Asus Z590-i, that's the board I'm having the issue on. I would be very happy to also test on the Z590 platform.

0 Kudos
tap77
New Contributor I

Hi,

That is a good question.

The contact person I have is for Asus Nordic (Denmark), but I do have a case number for the WOL issue. If the different departments have a shared log system, they should be able to access the case so you don't have to go through all the troubleshooting that I did.

The test BIOS i got is for STRIX Z590-F, but my Asus contact person wrote that the test BIOS is "out for testing at more customers with the same issue as you after Intel seemed to have figured this out" - so it definitely could happen that they made test BIOS's for different models. 

I can give you the case number for the test BIOS case. I have multiple correspondences with different case numbers, but they should all be linked together in their system if the representative needs more information. or more explanation.

Case number/reference to test BIOS correspondence: ASUS Service No=E21090031295-0017

tap77
New Contributor I

Hi again,

I forgot to mention that before I installed the test BIOS, WOL would stop working after 3 days and usually before that. So the fact that its still working after almost 2 weeks in is very good news in my eyes. 

*Correction* 2 weeks, not 3

getarobo
Novice

@tap77 wow good to know! How would I be able to test this out? myself!

Thank you again for your support on this matter!

tap77
New Contributor I

Hi,

The changes intel/asus have done is to the ethernet controller and and is "under the hood" and not a special setting you need to apply, other than the usual needed for WOL to work. The changes they did basically makes WOL function as intended/as normal. 

The test BIOS is installed like any other BIOS, but i cannot share it until i get a reply from Asus. I will update this thread when i hear from them.

metz1996
Novice

Hi there, i just sign up here because i saw this topic and i want to share my experience.

I have the Z590-F from ASUS (Ethernet Drive 1.0.2.8) and you already know: WoL is not working.

I startet to contact asus support on 13th of July 2021. Since there i think i wrote about more than 30 E-Mails and i already received a second "Test BIOS" and it didn't changed anything.

I think this is the problem:

When you shutdown the computer the ethernet controller beginn to freeze

Both ethernet LED's are static [ORANGE+GREEN]. In this mode the ethernet controller is unable to receive and handle incoming data.

Would be interesting: Do you have the same issue with the static LED's?

tap77
New Contributor I
Hi,

I had the same issue before I flashed the test bios and I reported this to Asus with a video of the static ethernet LED,'s in October, I think.

This is a good observation because if you see the led being static, you know WOL has stopped working.
C128
New Contributor I

My lights change color just like that when it stops working. Mostly, pulling the power plug for 30 seconds and plugging it back in puts it back to being blue, and WoL then works. I put in a new ticket with Asus US support and they did 1 test for 1 time, recording it, and say there's no issue. They refused to open up the Asus Nordic ticket that I referenced, in which I mentioned the issue is already confirmed.

My guess is that Asus Nordic have more intelligent employees than we have in the USA. There's a lot of cheap employees here with their brains disconnected. I'm pretty much at the mercy of you Euros to get Asus/Intel to resolve this.. thank you for your service.

tap77
New Contributor I
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that. I'll keep you updated!
Wolatile
Novice

The german Asus-Support Team isn't any better... unfortunately. 

0 Kudos
getarobo
Novice

Asus Korea just kept saying it works fine. I even sent my motherboard but they say it works fine. Well it does not work and I am not alone.

LED light becomes static and WOL stops working. If I pull of electricity and back on it starts to blink and wol works fine.

I tested with power timer so it goes off around 5am or something for 15mintues. But I have 7 computers hooked up to that port and most timers are not meant for high electric consumptions. 

Hope we see fixed bios soon.