Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4813 Discussions

Wake on Lan not working on driver higher than 1.0.1.4 for Intel l225-V

solemgar
Novice

Hello all!

I have a B-550F Asus ROG gaming motherboard with an Intel l225-V. With driver 1.0.1.4 from manufacturer wake on lan works fine. If I upgrade to the manufacturer version 1.0.2.8 WOL stops to work. Exactly same settings on the BIOS, no change. The same happens upgrading to the latest driver available in the intel page for this adapter (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/184676/Intel-Ethernet-Controller-I225-V, 26.3).

Has anyone experienced this issue?

0 Kudos
136 Replies
Starbuck
Beginner

What version was it working with?

Also, are you connected via 2.5gbe port or are you using a 1gbe connection?

0 Kudos
abdulaziz
Beginner
1.0.1.4 was working but now is not working but when i press enter in my keyboard when the pc is fully shutsdown it open when i press enter in my keyboard it opens the pcand when i press in the the app its not working anymore iam using is called wolow compainion and i have huwawi pro 2 router and linked in 2,5gb of the asus rog maximus hero viii
0 Kudos
iammarrk
Beginner

Same issue with driver ver 2.1.1.14. Hardware revision 3. WOL not working despite all power & bios settings correct.

0 Kudos
getarobo
Novice

I just ended up buying 1000Mbps realtek lancard instead.

Its pretty cheap too. If you have a empty pci-e slot, just install one.

Never had a issuse with WOL after this installation.

0 Kudos
abdulaziz
Beginner
Where did u buy it and can send me a pic of it please
0 Kudos
getarobo
Novice

well, I live in SKorea so I use lan card made by local company. product is called NETmate N-314.

It uses Realtek's RTL8111H chip. You can search for lan card with such chip if you want to use somthing similar to mine.

I think any land card with realtek chip will be fine. Get a 2.5Gbps one if have faster interest.

0 Kudos
Starbuck
Beginner

Can confirm that after upgrading to Intel Driver version 2.1.2.3 WOL still does not work when connecting via 2.5gbe, but works perfectly fine when connected to a 1gbe network port.

0 Kudos
abdulaziz
Beginner
I have asus maximus hero viii motherboard 2 port has 2.5gb
0 Kudos
Starbuck
Beginner

what chipset is it and is it working with Wake On Lan when synced at 2.5gbe or not? @abdulaziz 

0 Kudos
abdulaziz
Beginner
Well it works only when i press restart or sleep or shutdown but it doesnt wake up when i press the wake button iam using wolow companion app and it work very well in my old msi laptop has the killer gb lan which i think all msi motherboards has it and my other problem is my keyboard when my pc is fully off i press enter on keyboard it opens my pc
0 Kudos
abdulaziz
Beginner
And my motherboard asus chipset its Intel Z170 chipset
0 Kudos
abdulaziz
Beginner
0 Kudos
abdulaziz
Beginner
And cpu iam using intel i9 gen 11
0 Kudos
Starbuck
Beginner

Your issue @abdulaziz sounds different than what I'm discussing - specifically being connected and synced at 2.5 gigabit.  If you have a Z170 you probably don't even have I225-V adapter so you might not even be in the correct thread here.  Regardless, check your BIOS has Wake On PCIE enabled in APM section and disable Fast Startup in Windows and you should be fine.

0 Kudos
abdulaziz
Beginner
And i already enable the pcie and disable the fast startup so iam talking with the app developer
0 Kudos
abdulaziz
Beginner
But my adapter ehethernet shows the same name intel r 1225-v
0 Kudos
Wolatile
Novice
Hey folks.

There was a new Update for the l225-V. Unfortunately I'm not at home without a way to test if WoL is working with this new Update.

Can someone test/confirm WoL functionality please?
0 Kudos
Starbuck
Beginner

@Wolatile 

Updated it using the 28.2.1 package released Aug 23, 2023 and driver is now showing 2.1.3.15 dated 2023-06-29.  Had to do it manually as Intel Driver Check didn't find any new drivers.

Still doesn't support wake-on-lan when connected on 2.5gbps.  I got so freaking sick of waiting on intel to fix this obvious and well-known bug that I went out and bought a tp-link PCI card just so WOL would work when I'm on 2.5gbps.

So I can confirm that it is not my router or anything else - if I plug ethernet into the TP-Link card (which uses a RealTek chipset), I get 2.5gbps and WOL works perfectly.  Swap the cable over to the Intel adapter built-in on my Asus MoBo and nothing.

Also, not only does this new driver NOT support WOL when connected via 2.5gbps, it has HORRIBLE performance at default settings.  I'm only getting 750mbps on local LAN transfers with other 1gbps devices.  The TP-Link saturates a 1gbps link.  I haven't wasted any time trying to tune this new driver since it fails it's most important function for me.   I also noticed that the settings are quite different.  There's no longer a Energy Efficient Ethernet option, Green Ethernet and a few other things that were present before.

I do note there are now two Wake on Magic Packet settings with an extra one for Wake from S5.  Both are enabled and WOL still doesn't work on 2.5gbps links. 

What an incredibly lousy job here from Intel.   I'm starting to think there is actually a hardware fault in the I225 that they can't resolve and they are just hoping no one will notice or take legal action for them selling a bugged / faulty chipset.

Starbuck_0-1695156265757.png

0 Kudos
abdulaziz
Beginner
Switch to 1.0.1.4 driver if have asus motherboard and check ur dhcp in ur wifi and make sure u add ur pc name IP and MAC Address Binding List and dhcp ip range
0 Kudos
abdulaziz
Beginner
0 Kudos