Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Wake on Magic Packet from power off state

idata
Employee

What i need is something the setting "Wake on Magic Packet from power off state" is default enabled during installation.

The card i have is :

Wired Networking Producthttp://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-025637.htm Intel(R) 82567LM based Network Controller(OEM)Driver Version11.8.75.0Intel PROSet Version15.8.76.0

I found some vbscripts, but the do nothing.

Anyone an idea ?

Christian Keizer

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

PROSetCL.exe is installed on the hard driver as part of Intel(R) PROSet for Windows Device Manager selection when installing Intel(R) Network Connections software. You could use PROSetCL.exe in scripts. PROSetcl.txt provides the information on the available commands.

Unfortunately, I could not find a recognized value using PROSetCL for "Wake on Magic Packet for power off state." I will ask the engineer who codes this utility for his help and will let you know what I find out.

Mark H

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

The software engineer pointed me at the right commands. Here are the steps I followed to use PROSetCL from the command line to enable "Wake on Magic Packet for power off state."

1. Find the adapter's index to use in other commands:

C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX\CL>prosetcl Adapter_Enumerate

Number of adapters currently present: 1

1) Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection

2. Find out the available "Wake On" settings for the adapter:

C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX\CL>prosetcl Adapter_GetWakeOnSettings 1

Wake On LAN Options:

Wake From Power Off - Disabled

Wake On Directed Packet - Disabled

Wake On Link - Disabled

Wake On Magic Packet - Disabled

3. Enable "Wake on Magic Packet for power off state." This setting was not as obvious, because the command line parameter is not exactly the same:

C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX\CL>prosetcl Adapter_SetWakeOnSetting 1 "Wake From Po

wer Off" 1

Successfully set value: Wake From Power Off

Results:

You should be able to use these commands in your script. The commands must run with administrator permissions to succeed.

Mark H

MRami5
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

How can i do this with tools like psexec ? Remotely.

Your command does not work with psexec (with admin rights) It does not see any network adapter.

I tried also with SCCM, but no result.

Isn't there an inf file i can edit that this setting is installed by default ?

Christian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am also running into this issue. I do not get the "Wake on Magic Packet from Power Off State" as an option on the NIC properties but can set this from a local command prompt using ProsetCL.

I have a batch file of the commands you identified that works perfectly when executed from the local command prompt but fails to detect the adapters when run from the system account via SCCM or using PsEXEC. It appears the ProsetCL will not work reliably unless it can run in the space of a logged in user.

Please let me know how I can get this to work trough Automation. I have over 2400 HP systems with Intel NICS that refuse to work without the "Wake from Power Off" setting.

Mike

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Would you be able to use a VBScript to apply the configuration? If yes, you could use the http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-028693.htm Save and Restore Command Line Tool to save a copy of the configuration you want to use and then "restore" that configuration to all the other computers.

Whatever you do with PROSetCL remotely will have to emulate running the program locally. The most common thing that gets in the way when you are on the computer locally is that you must run the command line as an administrator. Otherwise many operations give errors, hang, or otherwise fail to complete properly.

I hope this helps. Please post here about how you got the configuration to work remotely.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the suggestiion of this script. Unfortunately it uses Proset APIs and has the same limitations as using ProsetCL, namely you mus have an open console session for it to work.

I have looked at your WMI scripting reference and think that might be a better option but have not been able to get a script to work using the "SetWakeOnLANPowerOptions". Can one of your scripting GURUs take a look at this property and develop a quick WMI VBScript we can use?

Mike

0 Kudos