Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

What's the difference between the in-kernel ethernet drivers and intel drivers like i40e, ixgbe, e1000e, igb?

KDutt
Beginner

We are in the process of build a new release for Seagate Linux OS. I'm now scratching my head whether to pick the in-kernel stock drivers or go with the latest intel drivers?

It's a CentOS based OS, so it's rpm based.

The target drivers that I'm looking at are: i40e, ixgbe, e1000e, igb

I have system with adapters that need either e1000e and/or igb/ixgbe, where as i40e would be needed for the HBA cards.

Please advise.

/home/kk

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi /home/kk,

Thank you for the post. Just wondering what is the network adapter to be used as the driver we have are for the Intel network adapter.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
KDutt
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for the response. In our Seagate controllers we have variety of intel adapters, here's a few of them what I see from lspci output:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01) --> igb driver

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection --> e1000e driver

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 (rev 01) --> ixgbe driver

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM (rev 05) --> e1000e again

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 06) -> e1000e

The above outputs are obviously from different Seagate cloud controllers.

Hence I need all of e100e, igb, and ixgbe drivers, plus for some of the hba cards I need the i40e driver as well.

The applications that use these interfaces are somewhere in MPI and HPC space.

For igb I'm going to use the stock kernel driver. I need some input regarding what extras I have from the intel drivers (non-kernel drivers).

-- /home/kk

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi /home/kk,

Thank you for the additional information provided. I will check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi /home/kk,

Good day. Further checking, we do not have information regarding the differences between our driver and the in-kernel driver as the in-kernel driver belong to the OS vendor which is beyond our supporting scope. You may refer to the URL below for the list of Intel drivers available

https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/?source=navbar

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi /home/kk,

Good day. Further checking, we do not have information regarding the differences between our driver and the in-kernel driver as the in-kernel driver belong to the OS vendor which is beyond our supporting scope. You may refer to the URL below for the list of Intel drivers available

https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/?source=navbar

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos