Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4871 Discussions

Where to find version 20.00 of the intel preboot.tar.gz file

PBosg
Beginner

Hi!,

I'm trying to upgrade the firmware on our intel x520-da2 nics.

Unfortunately i'm running into this bug:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004C5yoESAR/flash-too-small-using-recent-versions-of-bootutil?language=en_US

I've tried to find version 20.0 but the oldest on the intel site currently is 22.10.

Are there archives i where i can download version 20.0?

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello PBosg,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed, the link that you provided is under embedded environment. Are you designing or building an embedded system with Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter X520-DA2?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
PBosg
Beginner

Thanks for the quick follow-up!

I've should have clarified, we don't make/use an embedded system, i'm trying to update our Intel X520-da2 adapter on a regular Intel xeon build system.

However, The error message i'm receiving is identical to the link provided, "ERROR: Flash too small for the image"

I'm flashing from Linux (CentOS) with the Preboot.tar.gz (version 25.0) downloaded from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27539/Ethernet-Intel-Ethernet-Connections-Boot-Utility-Preboot-Images-and-EFI-Drivers

The flash command that i'm using is:

./Preboot/APPS/BootUtil/Linux_x64/bootutil64e -ALL -UP=combo -FILE=./Preboot/APPS/BootUtil/BootIMG.FLB

0 Kudos
PBosg
Beginner

bootutil flash error.JPG 

Screenshot of the error message:

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello PBosg,

Thank you for the clarification, but before we proceed. Let me validate your card because it is not allowed to update the firmware of an OEM or 3rd party card using Intel's firmware and vice versa. Can you please send a picture of your card focusing on the markings on both sides of the card.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
PBosg
Beginner

Sure, here are the images.

IMG_5604.jpgIMG_5605.jpg

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello PBosg,

Thank you for sending the pictures. Upon checking the markings, the part number of your card belongs to Dell. That is the reason why you cannot update the firmware of your card using the firmware that you downloaded from our website. At this point, it is best to contact Dell for them to further assist you regarding firmware update.

You may try opening this link, but for more details or if this is the latest for your card or if you have questions. Please coordinate with them first.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-my/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=gk57c

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
PBosg
Beginner

Thanks for the followup with Dell and revert back here in 2 weeks.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello PBosg,

Thank you for the update. Are you talking with Dell now regarding the firmware update?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello PBosg,

We just wanted to check if you are now talking to Dell regarding the firmware of the Ethernet card?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello PBosg,

I am just sending another follow up to check if you are now talking to Dell regarding the firmware update.  Since the card is from them, they are the one who should provide the firmware update file.

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

PBosg
Beginner

Issue was resolved by Dell, thanks for the help!

0 Kudos