Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

Where to get older driver for i340-T4 NIC?

idata
Employee

I have a Dell PV500 server running Windows Storage Server 2003 x64 with an i340-T4 NIC that was just knocked off line by a Windows Update of the driver. I downloaded PRO2K3XP_x64.exe version 18.1 in an unsuccessful attempt to bring it back to life. I am now trying to find an older version, circa 2010 or 2011. Can anyone point me to a source of older Intel drivers? Are they hidden somewhere on the Intel site?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Can anyone point me to a source of older Intel drivers? Are they hidden somewhere on the Intel site? The older software packages for the adapters are not kept on intel.com; however, the same software packages that work for the adapters can often be found under postings for other Intel products.

According to the page at http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-006333.htm http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-006333.htm, version 15.0 is the oldest software package that supported the I340-T4. I found a copy of version 15.1 posted at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19213 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19213. The zip file here contains the entire CD of the version 15.1 package, which includes the drivers you wanted.

I am surprised that updating the driver would have knocked you offline. I suspect that Windows did something to your network settings and that the driver version won't matter. I recommend looking for any Intel network software under the Control Panel section for removing or modifying programs. Uninstall that software (if any).

Then go to the Windows Device Manager and uninstall the I340-T4. As I recall there is an option for removing the drivers when you uninstall the device. Pick that option so that the driver files are gone.

Then reboot and check to see if your adapter came back. Windows might not have an included driver for that adapter, so you might have to install one of the software packages at that point. The newer software packages should work. Hopefully, any Windows settings related to the adapter will be gone so that you are starting from scratch. The version 18.1 package that you used before should work, but if the version 15.1 package works and 18.1 does not work, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Mark,

I'm suprised as well. In more than 13 years of doing this I have never had an Intel driver update cause a problem like this. I am downloading the 15.1 file and will try again when it is done. I uninstalled the NICs and software yesterday, then let Windows rediscover them. Server 2003 does not have drivers for the i340 so I did install the 18.1 package. The ports came back with the default settings, which suggests that I did actually get everything uninstalled, but I have the configuration documented so I was able to quickly get them set back up. Unfortunately it still didn't work.

I will let you know what happens with the 15.1 drivers.

Brad

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, everything is working again. I uninstalled the 18.1 software and the NIC and let Windows rediscover the NIC, then I installed the 15.1 package and my server is a happy camper once again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, everything is working again. I uninstalled the 18.1 software and the NIC and let Windows rediscover the NIC, then I installed the 15.1 package and my server is a happy camper once again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Brad,

I am glad everything is working again. However, I am still concerned that the latest software package gave you trouble. If you want to send me your adapter configuration, system information, and network information, I would like to look into this further. I don't expect you to post that information in the forum. I will send you a private message with my email address to use for any private details you want to share.

Mark H

0 Kudos